Great news!

What features and services do you want to see on WizTV?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Bruce85
Master

Great news!

Post by Bruce85 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 00:34

An employee from Beyonwiz told me that the company is going to add new features to WizTV. He said some of the features will include the ability to purchase movies. The only reason they haven't been added yet is because of legal issues.

All models will be able to access the new features!

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:22

Hi Bruce,
At this stage there are no immediate plans to have such services via WizTV, sorry but the information that you received was either misunderstood or misinformed.

Cheers

WizHQ

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30

Wiz HQ are you able to tell us if there are any other things being planned for addition? I realise you may not be able to provide details, but an indication would be helpful.
Cheers
DP-P1 in the lounge, DP-H1 in the master bedroom. Happy kids and Mrs Crippstor all around, and if Santa Beyonwiz brings out a new model, the P1 to the bedroom and the H1 to the man shed

buzzdude
Apprentice

Post by buzzdude » Fri Mar 26, 2010 13:56

I can hear crickets.... there goes a tumbleweed..... :D :D :D
Patience...

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Mar 26, 2010 14:00

Hi,

Beyonwiz is well known for *not* making public statements of things to come until they are actually released to the public. I don't expect that behaviour to change any time soon.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 20:30

I reckon WizTV would be a much better service if it expanded its weather section. For example, it could expand its radar service to include regional areas and remote Australia. Another addition that should be implementable is a link to BOM's satellite images and weather maps.

The Podcasts section is light on content. It would be good if Beyonwiz could access the ABC's News Updade vodcast.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 27, 2010 21:36

Bruce85 wrote:... For example, it could expand its radar service to include regional areas and remote Australia. ...
Agreed. It could then cover "regional and remote" areas like the national capital.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 21:48

prl wrote:
Bruce85 wrote:... For example, it could expand its radar service to include regional areas and remote Australia. ...
Agreed. It could then cover "regional and remote" areas like the national capital.
I cannot understand its lack of coverage for the ACT.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 18:55

Beyonwiz,

Please add something good to WizTV. The current service is too limited.

Buffy71
Master

Post by Buffy71 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 22:01

IanSav wrote: Beyonwiz is well known for *not* making public statements of things to come until they are actually released to the public. I don't expect that behaviour to change any time soon.
Agreed. However, they sometimes slip a little hope into the hearts of consumers with talk of downloadable movies (see the news section of DPG website, where as early as 2008 they stated this feature was soon to be a reality). It's unfortunate that they haven't followed through.
Maybe it's for this reason that whenever I mention the name Beyonwiz to any of my friends or colleagues, they reply with "What? Never heard of it". But they all know what Tivo is. :wink:

Gully

Post by Gully » Sun Jul 04, 2010 22:31

Buffy71 wrote:Maybe it's for this reason that whenever I mention the name Beyonwiz to any of my friends or colleagues, they reply with "What? Never heard of it". But they all know what Tivo is. :wink:
Maybe because Tivo have a multi-million dollar advertising budget and a link with Channel 7?

Seems much more likely reason to me.
Cheers
Gully

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 23:29

C'mon Beyonwiz, give us something new on WizTV! There's no excuse for ignoring it We need more detailed news articles -- like the ones that were available when ABC News & Sport were on WizTV -- .about our favourite sports, daily news, local news, national news, etc. I cannot see why it wouldn't be possible to do something like this considering you used to have ABC News & Sport.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Jul 05, 2010 14:56

Bruce85 wrote:I cannot see why it wouldn't be possible
Have you considered such issues as licensing and development costs?

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 15:09

peteru wrote:
Bruce85 wrote:I cannot see why it wouldn't be possible
Have you considered such issues as licensing and development costs?
I've thought about the licencing issue. As far as I understand, the ABC is funded by the tax-payer and allows just about every other major competitor of Beyonwiz to use its iView service. I find it hard to believe the ABC wouldn't allow Beyonwiz to utilise its news service. Besides, Beyonwiz used to show the ABC News and ABC Sports News.

Does anyone on here know how Beyonwiz was able to show ABC news articles on WizTV?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Jul 05, 2010 15:18

I suggest you visit the ABC web site and read the terms and conditions for the use of their material. ABC feeds are not free. They are not cheap either.

The Beyonwiz does not have a web browser and can not display Adobe Flash content, so anything and everything that is available via WizTV requires development effort.

So, that's at least two costs (licensing and development) that you need to cover. The most obvious cost recovery option I can see is a subscription fee. Personally, I would not be very excited about going down that path...

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 15:52

peteru wrote:I suggest you visit the ABC web site and read the terms and conditions for the use of their material. ABC feeds are not free. They are not cheap either.

The Beyonwiz does not have a web browser and can not display Adobe Flash content, so anything and everything that is available via WizTV requires development effort.

So, that's at least two costs (licensing and development) that you need to cover. The most obvious cost recovery option I can see is a subscription fee. Personally, I would not be very excited about going down that path...
Fair enough. How come the Beyonwiz does not have a web browser?

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Jul 05, 2010 16:30

Lack of processing power to start with - if you need a web browser then maybe a HTPC would better suit your needs or a Popcorn Hour that has a reasonable selection of web sites including IMDb which is useful for getting film details etc. I have a Popcorn Hour as well as having a PC connected to my TV - covers all bases :D
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 22:46

I hope Beyonwiz's future products have enough processing power and a modern-enough chipset to support web-browsing, Flash, etc.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jul 05, 2010 23:11

Hi Bruce85,
Bruce85 wrote:I hope Beyonwiz's future products have enough processing power and a modern-enough chipset to support web-browsing, Flash, etc.
If web-browsing, Flash, etc are you primary reasons for getting a Beyonwiz then you have selected the wrong device. Please consider connecting your PC to your TV to get these sort of features. No regular PVR will make an acceptable web browser.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 23:43

IanSav wrote:Hi Bruce85,
Bruce85 wrote:I hope Beyonwiz's future products have enough processing power and a modern-enough chipset to support web-browsing, Flash, etc.
If web-browsing, Flash, etc are you primary reasons for getting a Beyonwiz then you have selected the wrong device. Please consider connecting your PC to your TV to get these sort of features. No regular PVR will make an acceptable web browser.

Regards,
Ian.
I'd like WizTV to offer a detailed weather service and up-to-date news articles. The current weather servive offers the bare minimum information. What I'd love to see is something that shows the current temperature, current windspeed and direction, dewpoint, national radar, synoptic chart, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love my two Beyonwiz DP-P2s. I reckon the media player features and DVR featuers are first-class. I just want to see Beyonwiz reign as the supreme DVR/media player company in the market.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Jul 06, 2010 00:10

Hi Bruce85,
Bruce85 wrote:I'd like WizTV to offer a detailed weather service and up-to-date news articles. The current weather servive offers the bare minimum information. What I'd love to see is something that shows the current temperature, current windspeed and direction, dewpoint, national radar, synoptic chart, etc.
That sort of information is not a function of web-browsers or Flash. That is more a function of data availability and the programming time, effort and cost to manipulate that data into a format suitable for the Beyonwiz XML display engine. Some data may be free but most data sources have a cost associated with them. (Remember that while you, as an individual, may not see a cost for much of the information on the Internet there are costs for companies to access or use this information.)

Given that WizTV does not currently make any money for Beyonwiz or DPG it is difficult to see how or why they would currently inject money into such development for a negative return. Perhaps if they could acquire sponsorship or some other income against WizTV then they could justify more of a development effort.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 22:58

Bruce85 wrote:I'd like WizTV to offer a detailed weather service and up-to-date news articles. The current weather servive offers the bare minimum information. What I'd love to see is something that shows the current temperature, current windspeed and direction, dewpoint, national radar, synoptic chart, etc.
That sort of information is not a function of web-browsers or Flash. That is more a function of data availability and the programming time, effort and cost to manipulate that data into a format suitable for the Beyonwiz XML display engine. Some data may be free but most data sources have a cost associated with them. (Remember that while you, as an individual, may not see a cost for much of the information on the Internet there are costs for companies to access or use this information.)

Given that WizTV does not currently make any money for Beyonwiz or DPG it is difficult to see how or why they would currently inject money into such development for a negative return. Perhaps if they could acquire sponsorship or some other income against WizTV then they could justify more of a development effort.

Regards,
Ian.
Hi IanSav,

Thanks for the informed response. I appreciate it.

Are the news articles currently on WizTV fed into it by an automated process or are they added individually by a person?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jul 10, 2010 00:12

Hi Bruce85,

The ABC news feed was automated. Since the ABC went commercial I believe that the new feed, whatever it may be, should also be automated.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 00:26

The ABC news feed was automated. Since the ABC went commercial I believe that the new feed, whatever it may be, should also be automated.

Regards,
Ian.
I really hope Beyonwiz can secure a deal with the ABC for the right to use the ABC news feed on WizTv. Forging a deal with the Bureau of Meteorology to show a synoptic chart and detailed information would be great too. It would make WizTV a really useful tool.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jul 10, 2010 00:29

Hi Bruce85,

Perhaps you should give Beyonwiz a call and let them know your wishes for WizTV. Some direct feedback may help to get WizTV developments moving again.

Regards,
Ian.

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 00:33

Perhaps you should give Beyonwiz a call and let them know your wishes for WizTV. Some direct feedback may help to get WizTV developments moving again.

Regards,
Ian.
I'll do that on Monday.

Return to “What you want!”