Readability - screen layout, font size, scroll amount...

What features and services do you want to see on WizTV?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

glow
Guru

Readability - screen layout, font size, scroll amount...

Post by glow » Wed Jan 28, 2009 18:47

I'd like to have a bit more control over the readability of the WizTV pages.

1. The text is currently squashed in the horizontal centre of the screen. Could we make better use of the width to avoid scrolling? The WizTV logo also wastes quite a bit of screen real estate at the top.

2. It would be nice to be able to have control over the font size. A fixed size may not suit everyone depending on how big your screen is. I've got a 68cm TV and it's only just readable.

3. I find the vertical scrolling hard to follow. It seems to scroll only about half a page and it's difficult to find my place. I'd prefer it to scroll a full page.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Readability - screen layout, font size, scroll amount...

Post by prl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 19:10

glow wrote:I'd like to have a bit more control over the readability of the WizTV pages.
2. It would be nice to be able to have control over the font size. A fixed size may not suit everyone depending on how big your screen is. I've got a 68cm TV and it's only just readable.

3. I find the vertical scrolling hard to follow. It seems to scroll only about half a page and it's difficult to find my place. I'd prefer it to scroll a full page.
2. The Beyonwiz only appears to have two font sizes, as bitmaps, not scalable fonts. This may be tricky.

3. The original scrolling in Beta was single-line-at-a-time. I asked that scrolling be "scroll bottom line to become top line" (for a bit of context and continuity). I guess I got half what I asked for :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 19:29

I find reading large wads of text a real pain also. I am typically a "scroll one line at a time" reader (and often NOT when I reach the bottom of a page, as I hate being on the last line of the screen before starting to scroll up), and find it jumps some stupid arbitrary amount that makes finding where you were up to really really difficult.
Tony

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Jan 31, 2009 18:28

I hate the current scrolling as I have to move my eyes to some unknown and unexpected position and read a few sentences here and there to find where I was up to! It's much easier to follow if it only scrolls between 1 to 3 lines at a time - instead of 1/2 a page or two paragraphs or whatever it is now. Only scrolling 1 to 3 lines conforms with what readers of web pages and electronic documents expect.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 22:26

Dave? wrote:... Only scrolling 1 to 3 lines conforms with what readers of web pages and electronic documents expect.
I almost always scroll page-at-a-time. I don't like the current scrolling, but because half a page is too little.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Fri Jun 19, 2009 23:10

The scrolling within an article seems to have gone back to just one line at a time with the up and down arrows.
I'd like to see some way of scrolling a page at a time perhaps using left and right arrows since that seems to be the way it works in the lists of articles.

Return to “What you want!”