Variable Upload and Download Speeds

What features and services do you want to see on WizTV?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

TheaterMan
On probation

Variable Upload and Download Speeds

Post by TheaterMan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:55

I would like to see a upload/Download speed selection function. 3-3.5 MB/s is too slow especially when uploading to an external HDD. Even if we can have 3 speed selections to choose from (Low, Medium, High) would be great or an automatic speed override if a recording or network action starts then speed is lowered to compensate, full speed if nothing is going on at all. (I am currently uploading 20 GB @ 1 MB/s) 350mins.) very frustrating.

TheaterMan
On probation

Whoops Wrong Thread Sorry

Post by TheaterMan » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:56

:shock:

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10

Hi TheaterMan,

If you read through the history in this forum you will note that Beyonwiz allocates all the processing power it can spare to the network and external communication interfaces. Any more allocation toward external transfers causes internal functions to become unreliable or unstable.

As has been posted many times before, to maximise transfer speeds please leave the Beyonwiz in the SETUP or FILE PLAYER menus.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:21

For some examples of what the available networking speed is, see my recent measurements.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 15:51

It would be great if the file transfer task had a bit more smarts to dynamically allocate more resourses to the file transfer when possible.

That is, if there is no current recordings running, time shifting or other tasks, then allocate much more recourses to the transfer until some other task becomes active.

This is already currently done by going into the file player or setup menu to remove the load of live decoding, but I wonder if more processing power can be reassigned.

I am assuming at the moment that file transfers have a very low priority and other tasks have a permanent pecentage of available resourse load assigned to them.
If this is so then give up more of these available resourses untill needed.
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 16:06

bohemian wrote:It would be great if the file transfer task had a bit more smarts to dynamically allocate more resourses to the file transfer when possible.

That is, if there is no current recordings running, time shifting or other tasks, then allocate much more recourses to the transfer until some other task becomes active.

This is already currently done by going into the file player or setup menu to remove the load of live decoding, but I wonder if more processing power can be reassigned.

I am assuming at the moment that file transfers have a very low priority and other tasks have a permanent pecentage of available resourse load assigned to them.
If this is so then give up more of these available resourses untill needed.
If you have a look at the measurements I referred to, then this kind of automatic allocation of network resources depending on the server load already happens. Whether there's more network bandwidth that can be squeezed out without compromising local operations is another question, I guess, but I see no reason why the Beyonwiz engineers would deliberately limit the network capacity more than they believe they need to.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “What you want!”