Support for standard gadgets / widgets

What features and services do you want to see on WizTV?

Moderators: Gully, peteru

NigelSenior
Master

Support for standard gadgets / widgets

Post by NigelSenior » Fri Dec 12, 2008 18:06

Folks,
rather than re inventing the wheel a way you can get easy extensibility is to leverage an existing gadgets framework such as

1. Yahoo widgets (like Ice TV)
2. Windows gadgets
3. Chumby Widgets

I doubt any of these impose a heavy processing overhead as they have been developed to operate on things like mobile platforms - either way its at users risk. The functionality is already large and keeps growing without any effort for the Beyonwiz guys once framework client in place.

Just a thought.

cheers

Nigel

:) :) :)
Beyonwiz t2

prl
Wizard God

Re: Support for standard gadgets / widgets

Post by prl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 21:31

NigelSenior wrote:Folks,
rather than re inventing the wheel a way you can get easy extensibility is to leverage an existing gadgets framework such as

1. Yahoo widgets (like Ice TV)
2. Windows gadgets
3. Chumby Widgets

I doubt any of these impose a heavy processing overhead as they have been developed to operate on things like mobile platforms - either way its at users risk. The functionality is already large and keeps growing without any effort for the Beyonwiz guys once framework client in place.

Just a thought.

cheers

Nigel

:) :) :)
I don't know what the others use, but Yahoo widgets need Javascript, which isn't in the Beyonwiz firmware. They also need all the graphics support libraries. With the small amount of firmware space left, it would be pushing it.

The processing load probably wouldn't be a problem for most things, though there's no control over how much resource a widget consumes.

I'm not sure how much the Windows Widgets depend on Windows infrastructure, but the the Beyonwiz runs a cut-down version of Linux, not a Windows-mased system.

It might have been feasible if the Beyonwiz GUI had been built on top of a scripting engine, but it all appears to have been built with C & C++ and a table-driven interface builder.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “What you want!”