WizTV Options

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

WizTV Options

Post by NaturalSelector » Wed Dec 18, 2013 06:29

hi y'all,
I've finally run a network cable through the roof to connect my Beyonwiz up to the interwebs! ...and like a lot of the posts here, I was a bit let down.. I probably should have read these posts first.. ;)

Anyways, what I was wondering is, what options does everyone get?

On the wizTV site there are some screenshots that show more options that I have..
http://www.wiztv.com.au/images/upgrade_screen.gif

How do I get the WizGadgets, WizVIP, Firmware Upgrade, ABC News/Sport, and WizPartners??

Thanks
DP-P2, HDMI
DP-H1
Samsung 26" LCD TV
More stuff
Other suff

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 09:18

That's an image of what WizTv offered a very long time ago. Its current offerings are:
Headline News
Wiz Help
Podcasts BETA
Wiz Weather
Picassa
Wiz Settings

AFAIK, the mechanism for upgrades through WizTV is still there, but there were only ever a small number of upgrades made available that way. The last few upgrades were not made available through WizTV, for whatever reason. The upgrade button only appears on screen if your firmware version is lower than the one available on WizTV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

WizTV Options

Post by NaturalSelector » Wed Dec 18, 2013 14:27

Thanks for that prl
I felt like i was the only one in this whole big wide world that did not have as many pretty icons as everyone else :cry:

But now i know my WizTV is just as otiose as everyone elses, I feel like I belong again! :D

Is there still anything in development for WizTV?
and from what i read on here, it will never be able to have a browser-like function? (ie to go to YouTube, iView, 7-catchupTV etc..)

Thanks
DP-P2, HDMI
DP-H1
Samsung 26" LCD TV
More stuff
Other suff

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 15:54

The DP series of Beyonwiz is unlikely to ever have a browser. On all the models except the DP-P2, there's only about 140kB-340kB of firmware memory free in the 01.0x.350 firmware.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if there were never any more firmware upgrades for any of the Beyonwiz DP series. The last normal firmware upgrade release was nearly three years ago. Since then, 01.07.351 has been released, but without any release notes, and even that dates from 2 1/2 years ago.

On the other hand, the services available through WizTv are determined by the server end, not by the firmware, though there are undoubtedly firmware limitations on what sort of services can be provided.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 16:14

Cheer up NaturalSelector.
There are still a few advantages to having run that network cable even if WizTV isn't one of them.
1. You can use NTP to set the time
2. You can transfer recordings to a PC for keepers or watching elsewhere
3. If you have a second Wiz you can stream recordings between them with some limitations.

NaturalSelector
Apprentice

Post by NaturalSelector » Wed Dec 18, 2013 23:04

Thanks prl & Glow.
Yes it will be very handy having that network cable
The main reason was for the transferring of recordings to a PC (Rather than stuffing around with the crossover & altering subnets etc..)
The 2nd reason is for IceTV! (I got that Ozbargain deal & scored a 3 or so years subscription for less than the price of one :D ) - So no longer will we miss a series when they move it to the wee hrs of the morning/switch days/or randomly bring it back without warning!
Also With a switch, I also hope to stream from the NAS to the HTPC, stored movies/video & Catchup TV.. the wifi intermittently gets interference from something which doesn't affect normal internet, but does affect video/TV/Movie streaming.
The TIme thing has proven to be handy too after the blackout we had yesterday :)

Thanks All :)
DP-P2, HDMI
DP-H1
Samsung 26" LCD TV
More stuff
Other suff

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”