Customised WizTV

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

np
Master

Customised WizTV

Post by np » Thu Mar 05, 2009 14:05

What are the chance of wizTV being changed to allow you to point it to your own URL/RSS feed, therefore giving the user the ability to put whatever they want on WizTV ?

Understand there would need to be limitations, but is this possible or too far fetched ?
DP-S1 -> Samsung 52" 6 Series LCD (HDMI)
DP-S1 -> Yamaha 663 Amp (Optical)
IceTV, DP-S1 Always On, 1.05.280 Firmware, Wired LAN connection, Harmony 785

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Mar 05, 2009 14:51

At this point in time, the PVR software itself can not load standard URL/RSS feeds, so can not function as a "web client".

Whatever information you want to view needs to be ingested by the WizTV server and republished in a proprietary WizTV format. Doing this brings with it all sorts of licensing/legal complications for sites that do not allow access in such a way.

So, the short answer is that you are unlikely to see a free form access in the near future, unless we can devise a technological solution that ensures compliance.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

np
Master

Post by np » Thu Mar 05, 2009 15:04

Thanks Peter, apprecaite your response. It just that I can see the real benefit of letting people develop their own customised stuff and therefore alieviating the load / pressure on Bwiz to contiually develop features/preferences that never make everyone happy.

I have had my device for over 12 months and although there are some issues, the features/benefits far outweigh these. Of late, the main issue I have is DVD playback which is almost unusable at time on my S1, but I am hoping that a firmware update in a short period potentially gets this to a useable state.
DP-S1 -> Samsung 52" 6 Series LCD (HDMI)
DP-S1 -> Yamaha 663 Amp (Optical)
IceTV, DP-S1 Always On, 1.05.280 Firmware, Wired LAN connection, Harmony 785

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”