WizTV - Weather Radar images

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:15

peteru wrote:Well, you know what they say about assuming. :lol:

If you take the time to have a look in /tmp/mnt/idehdd/hyperspace/web/ you'll see that there's quite a bit of data there. On my system it comes up to 148MB.
It seems that it would be a good idea to have a tool to flush it, then. One other than telnet, I mean :)

Hmmm... I think getWizPnP could be made to do that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:24

Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:If you take the time to have a look in /tmp/mnt/idehdd/hyperspace/web/ you'll see that there's quite a bit of data there. On my system it comes up to 148MB.
Are you saying that the radar image problem is a bug in the Beyonwiz firmware?

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:46

I don't know if the radar image issues are related to the issues I reported to Beyonwiz when 01.05.301 appeared. I don't have any issues with getting an up to date radar image every time I use WizTV. It is conceivable that some of the changes in 01.05.301 could cause this issue, but as far as I can tell, this issue is not widespread or well characterised.

I can guarantee that this issue can not be due to anything at the WizTV server end. The radar image does not even pass through the WizTV server.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:46

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,
peteru wrote:If you take the time to have a look in /tmp/mnt/idehdd/hyperspace/web/ you'll see that there's quite a bit of data there. On my system it comes up to 148MB.
Are you saying that the radar image problem is a bug in the Beyonwiz firmware?

Regards,
Ian.
I think he's saying that it can't be discounted as a Beyonwiz bug. That's slightly different :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:51

prl wrote:
It seems that it would be a good idea to have a tool to flush it, then. One other than telnet, I mean :)

Yes, an option to remotely purge the various caches (WizTV, EPG, IceTV) is not a bad idea. However, it's important that if you are going to clean the WizTV cache, that you ensure that files and directories are actually removed, nut just truncated. It should also be done when there are no WizTV screens displayed.

Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16

peteru wrote:
prl wrote:

Yes, an option to remotely purge the various caches (WizTV, EPG, IceTV) is not a bad idea. However, it's important that if you are going to clean the WizTV cache, that you ensure that files and directories are actually removed, nut just truncated. It should also be done when there are no WizTV screens displayed.
The Beyonwiz HTTP DELETE removes files (and directories, when applied to them). It works just fine for deleting recordings.

Edit: Hmmm... I've just realised that because the Beyonwiz HTTP server won't list directory contents, I can only implement the cache clear if the filenames in the WizTV cache are all known ahead of time (or there's an index), or if HTTP DELETE does a recursive deletion of a directory and its contents. I'll have to have a look at the source :(
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Bruce85
Master

Post by Bruce85 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 15:06

IanSav wrote:Hi Bruce85,
Bruce85 wrote:The radar image I've been getting is from July.

I updated my firmware. Still getting the same image as I did in July.

Could the aforementioned problem be caused by hard drive damage?
Hard disk damage is unlikely. WizTV data is not cached to the internal hard disk.

Does your Beyonwiz have direct access to the Internet or is a PC providing the connection? I wonder if there is something caching the data along the way. I just checked WizTV and I am getting new (current) images. (I was looking at the Melbourne and Sydney data.)

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian,

Thank you for replying to my comment.

My Beyonwiz is connected to a router.

GregH
Master

Post by GregH » Fri Oct 16, 2009 09:01

My radar image for Melbourne says 20/06/09. I know other people are complaining that the WizTV services including news/sport are not updating. Mine still say Oct 1. There is nothing wrong with my network. Ice timers are working as is streaming media files. I would like to know what the problem is...firmware or WizTV servers

Cheers
T4 Wired Network
Sony 75" 9500X UHD LED HDMI
LG 3D Blu-Ray HDMI
Foxtel iQ4 HDMI
Denon AVR-X1200W

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:33

Hi GregH,
GregH wrote:My radar image for Melbourne says 20/06/09. I know other people are complaining that the WizTV services including news/sport are not updating. Mine still say Oct 1. There is nothing wrong with my network. Ice timers are working as is streaming media files. I would like to know what the problem is...firmware or WizTV servers
Or is there a proxy server between the WizTV source servers and your Beyonwiz that is caching old and outdated data? If this is the case then this is an issue for your ISP or the proxy server admin to resolve. A proxy or cache issue would be a problem over which Beyonwiz has *no* control.

Regards,
Ian.

dg
Master

Post by dg » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:12

IanSav wrote:.....Or is there a proxy server between the WizTV source servers and your Beyonwiz that is caching old and outdated data? If this is the case then this is an issue for your ISP or the proxy server admin to resolve. A proxy or cache issue would be a problem over which Beyonwiz has *no* control.

Regards,
Ian.
I have these problems as well. My ISP is Bigpond via cable.

I have no problem viewing the ABC sport/news and BOM Weather Radar from my computer browser.

Does WizTV use different web services than those used with browsers?

Regards,
David
DP-P2, 1.05.350, 100MB, HDMI-1080i, Hitachi 42PD7800TA, OpticalAudio, Sony STRDG700S, HarmonyOne
DP-S1, 1.05.350, 100MB, HDMI- 720p, LG 32LX2D, HarmonyOne
IceTV, WPN824v2, LACIE d2 Network 1TB NAS

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:15

IanSav wrote:Hi GregH,
GregH wrote:My radar image for Melbourne says 20/06/09. I know other people are complaining that the WizTV services including news/sport are not updating. Mine still say Oct 1. There is nothing wrong with my network. Ice timers are working as is streaming media files. I would like to know what the problem is...firmware or WizTV servers
Or is there a proxy server between the WizTV source servers and your Beyonwiz that is caching old and outdated data? If this is the case then this is an issue for your ISP or the proxy server admin to resolve. A proxy or cache issue would be a problem over which Beyonwiz has *no* control.

Regards,
Ian.
peteru has posted that WizTV also caches files on the Beyonwiz. Clearly the Beyonwiz does have control over them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Oct 16, 2009 13:30

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:peteru has posted that WizTV also caches files on the Beyonwiz. Clearly the Beyonwiz does have control over them.
Not if the caching is done external to the Beyonwiz.

If this were a Beyonwiz internal issue then I would have expected to hear a lot more users complaining about this. While there is a chance that there is a firmware problem I would suggest that it is not as clear cut. A firmware bug should cause lots more people to be having issues.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 14:15

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,
prl wrote:peteru has posted that WizTV also caches files on the Beyonwiz. Clearly the Beyonwiz does have control over them.
Not if the caching is done external to the Beyonwiz.

If this were a Beyonwiz internal issue then I would have expected to hear a lot more users complaining about this. While there is a chance that there is a firmware problem I would suggest that it is not as clear cut. A firmware bug should cause lots more people to be having issues.

Regards,
Ian.
I was simply pointing out that there are, as well as the possibility of files cached outside the Beyonwiz, over which it clearly has no control, files cached on the Beyonwiz over which it does (or at least should) have control.

There are known firmware bugs on the Beyonwiz that seldom occur, either because of their nature, or because they are infrequently exercised by the user.

Until someone who has this bug uses telnet to capture and examine the files cached on the Beyonwiz it's hard to tell for sure whether this is the cause or not.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Oct 16, 2009 14:27

The ABC feeds are unrelated to the weather pages and there are no known server side problems with the weather feed.

It looks like there's no new data coming through from the ABC server, hence no updates for ABC News or Sport.

Blog.

mapota
Apprentice

Post by mapota » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:16

[quote="prl
Until someone who has this bug uses telnet to capture and examine the files cached on the Beyonwiz it's hard to tell for sure whether this is the cause or not.[/quote]

I will try this tonight (tuesday) an post my findings or at least some questions :-).

mapota
Apprentice

Post by mapota » Tue Oct 20, 2009 20:00

OK, Having trouble building the telnet firmware version.

I have activePerl (for windows) version 5.10.1 build 1006

BWFWTools is installed to D:\Download\Beyonwiz\BWFWTools (which is in my path)

I renamed the 301 firmware to DPP1_301.wrp

Then from D:\Download\beyonwiz I ran
bw_patcher.pl DPP1_301.wrp Dpp1_301_telnet.wrp /Beyonwiz/Hack/Telnet.pm

I receive the following output

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Download\Beyonwiz>bw_patcher.pl DPP1_301.wrp DPP1_301_Telnet.wrp /Beyonwiz/Ha
ck/Telnet.pm
Extract application file system DPP1_301.wrp into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Te
mp\flash2944
romfs image name: `mambo'
romfs image size: 7993136
Extract root file system into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Temp\root2944
Found Root ROMFS at kernel file location 0x00243000 size: 16556944
Root ROMFS sizes
Root ROMFS padded file size: 16557056
Free space available for larger Root ROMFS: 3184 bytes
Maximum Root ROMFS update size: 16560128 bytes
romfs image size: 16556944
syntax error at (eval 13) line 1, near "use /Beyonwiz/"

at D:\Download\Beyonwiz\BWFWTools\bw_patcher.pl line 308

Any ideas?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 20:44

What is "/Beyonwiz/Hack/Telnet.pm"?? This isn't a windows filesystem reference, which is what you are using. Where is the Telnet.pm file on your PC, you need to reference it that way (so, say, c:\storedhack\hack\Telnet.pm for example).
If it is in the same folder as the patcher, then you don't need to specify the folder references, if it is in a subfolder called Beyonwiz in the patcher directory, then you don't put a "slash" in front of it or else windows/perl will try searching your root folder for it.
so give Beyonwiz\hack\Telnet.pm or Beyonwiz/hack/Telnet.pm a try without the proceeding slash, presuming that this folder is a subfolder with the patcher.
Regards
Tony

mapota
Apprentice

Post by mapota » Wed Oct 21, 2009 07:27

tonymy01 wrote:What is "/Beyonwiz/Hack/Telnet.pm"?? This isn't a windows filesystem reference, which is what you are using. Where is the Telnet.pm file on your PC, you need to reference it that way (so, say, c:\storedhack\hack\Telnet.pm for example).
If it is in the same folder as the patcher, then you don't need to specify the folder references, if it is in a subfolder called Beyonwiz in the patcher directory, then you don't put a "slash" in front of it or else windows/perl will try searching your root folder for it.
so give Beyonwiz\hack\Telnet.pm or Beyonwiz/hack/Telnet.pm a try without the proceeding slash, presuming that this folder is a subfolder with the patcher.
Regards
The last comment is the correct one, the telnet.pm is the telnet hack in a subdirectory down from the current directory.

i did try it previously without the leading slash and it gave me a different error. I get an error saying something about a bareword found, I ran it again and captured the following

D:\Download\Beyonwiz\BWFWTools>bw_patcher.pl dpp1_301.wrp Dpp1_301_telnet.wrp Be
yonwiz/hack/telnet.pm
Extract application file system dpp1_301.wrp into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Te
mp\flash1608
Extract root file system into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Temp\root1608
Root ROMFS sizes
Bareword found where operator expected at (eval 13) line 1, near "/hack/telnet"
(Missing operator before telnet?)
syntax error at (eval 13) line 1, near "/hack/telnet"

If I try it with backslashes insterad of forward slashes i get.

D:\Download\Beyonwiz\BWFWTools>bw_patcher.pl dpp1_301.wrp Dpp1_301_telnet.wrp Be
yonwiz\hack\telnet.pm
Extract application file system dpp1_301.wrp into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Te
mp\flash616
Extract root file system into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Temp\root616
Root ROMFS sizes
Backslash found where operator expected at (eval 13) line 1, near "hack"
syntax error at (eval 13) line 1, near "hack"

i have also tried it by moving the firmware to the same directory as the Hack and running, I then get a similar error to the original which suggests the path is not the cause.

D:\Download\Beyonwiz\BWFWTools\Beyonwiz\Hack>bw_patcher.pl dpp1_301.wrp Dpp1_301
_telnet.wrp telnet.pm
mp\flash4440
Extract root file system into C:\DOCUME~1\Andrew\LOCALS~1\Temp\root4440
Root ROMFS sizes
syntax error at (eval 13) line 1, near "use telnet."

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 08:29

The last one is never going to work, see all those other .pl files there, the main patcher one calls on those to do things. If you have of thought about this the other way around, it makes more sense to move the telnet.pm to the main directory. Or give inverted commas around the argument " " a go, and ensure you have the case of the directories correct (but if you move it back to the patcher directory then you don't need to put a path.
Peters testing environment for this is not a windows machine, so unfortunately path references are different between windows and other systems, and while the perl environment tries to hide some of these differences from you, there are some things that it can't do or does subtly differently between operating systems.
Did you really type "beyonwiz/hack/telnet.pm"?? It is case sensitive most likely, get the case right, don't put the slash in front of beyonwiz, and it should be sweet.
Looking at the repository, I see the path to the telnet hack is:
Beyonwiz/Hack/Telnet.pm , did you ever type that? My suggestions in my previous post were examples of path references, not the exact text you should be typing. Looks like I have to be more careful next time.

edit: bugger. Ok,, I finally succumbed and downloaded fwpatcher, and get the same error. New post edit coming up shortly when I find out how to avoid the error...

Yay:

Code: Select all

E:\Downloads\downloads\beyonwiz\BWFWTools-0.2.2\BWFWTools>bw_patcher.pl DPS1_Firmware_02Jun2009_ver_01.05.300.wrp DPS1_Firmware_02Ju
n2009hack.wrp Beyonwiz::Hack::Telnet
Extract application file system DPS1_Firmware_02Jun2009_ver_01.05.300.wrp into C:\Users\TONYHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\flash3360
romfs image size: 7991520
Extract root file system into C:\Users\TONYHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\root3360
Found Root ROMFS at kernel file location 0x00243000 size: 16518656
Root ROMFS sizes
Root ROMFS padded file size: 16519168
Free space available for larger Root ROMFS: 512 bytes
Maximum Root ROMFS update size: 16519168 bytes
romfs image size: 16518656
Patching in Telnet hack on C:\Users\TONYHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\root3360
Using default machine type DPS1 (--machtype=DPS1)
Using default version 01.05.300_telnet (--version=01.05.300_telnet)
Construct root file system from C:\Users\TONYHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\root3360
Insert the root file system into the kernel image C:\Users\TONYHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\flash3360\001x_linux.bin.gz
Found Root ROMFS at kernel file location 0x00243000 size: 16518656
Root ROMFS sizes before update
Root ROMFS padded file size: 16519168
Free space available for larger Root ROMFS: 512 bytes
Maximum Root ROMFS update size: 16519168 bytes
Root ROMFS sizes after update
Updated Root ROMFS size: 16514864
Updated Root ROMFS padded file size: 16515072
Free space available for larger Root ROMFS after update: 208 bytes
Construct BW firmware file DPS1_Firmware_02Jun2009hack.wrp from C:\Users\TONYHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\flash3360
DPS1_Firmware_02Jun2009hack.wrp uses: 7991296 bytes; available: 8060928; spare: 69632
The hint I got was from the included readme, about something completely unrelated:
CPAN uses the Perl programming convention for naming modules. In the module name (such as IO/Uncompress/Gunzip.pm) change all of the '/'s to '::' and drop
the '.pm'. So to download the package that's missing in that error message, just run:
cpan IO::Uncompress::Gunzip
(because .pm files are perl modules, so to include modules, use that syntax)
Tony

mapota
Apprentice

Post by mapota » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:54

OK,

Thanks for the help. I have now built the telnet version of the 301 firmware. Will try it tonight.

The issue was that the two full colons were required plus I needed the case to be correct on the "path" ie Beyonwiz::Hack::Telnet where I originally had Beyonwiz::hack::telnet.

I will firstly check that the Sydney weather is still stuck at 30 August, then update the firmware. Will then recheck to ensure the weather page is still stuck. If it is i will check the contents of the afore mentioned directories. (ie the one that has hyperspace in the path) and see what i can come up with.

If the weather page is correct, due to the firmware update, I can only wait until it gets stuck again.

Andrew

mapota
Apprentice

Post by mapota » Thu Oct 22, 2009 07:12

OK,

I checked my radar image for Sydney prior to uploading the hacked firmware. Radar image was still for 30/08/2009.

Uploaded firmware and rechecked, still 30/08/2009.

I then copied all the files under the /tmp/mnt/idehdd/hyperspace/web directory structure to the following address http://www.potter.id.au

In the extlnk/www.bom.gov.au/radar directory there are three gif files of which one (IRD033.gif) is the image I see when asking for the sydney radar.

The web.xml file in the /tmp/mnt/idehdd/hyperspace/web directory does make mention of that image, but it would also have been the last WizTV image viewed.

Hope the gurus can see something useful.

If you need me to check further then let me know.

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52

It'll be good to get this sorted, as it was afeature I regularly used until I started getting old images.... :(
3TB T3 on 4.4.20160729FW
DP-P1 on .320FW & life support...

mapota
Apprentice

Post by mapota » Sun Oct 25, 2009 06:51

bump

bruce
Apprentice

Post by bruce » Mon Nov 02, 2009 05:53

IanSav wrote:...A firmware bug should cause lots more people to be having issues
Perhaps it is indeed a firmware bug but is a feature not used by many people. I know people with Beyonwiz's that aren't even network connected so they won't be troubled by the bug. I have 2 P1's, an S1 and an H1 (all at 301) and *all* of them have some old weather map images that refuse to update.

This isn't an area of the forum I visit very often so perhaps others with this bug also don't visit this area much. Or just aren't that troubled by whether this particular feature works or not.

grl
Master

Post by grl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 06:15

Brisbane's is up to date although why it uses Marburg instead of Mt Staplyton, I have no idea. Marburg is now the backup for Mt Stapylton. It is not a feature I use often as we generally have a PC on somewhere, usually crunching away in autogk.
DP-P2, HDMI, Samsung LA32A650A1
DP-P2, composite, Sharp CRT

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 08:00

Well I'm bummed that the radar won't update for me anymore. I'll try a few things tonight to get it back working again.... :?
3TB T3 on 4.4.20160729FW

bruce
Apprentice

Post by bruce » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:42

Whether it's coincidence or not all weather images are refreshing happily now that I am running 308 firmware (on an S1, H1 and two P1's).

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 21:09

I'm guessing that's a beta FW?

Sounds promising!!
3TB T3 on 4.4.20160729FW

bruce
Apprentice

Post by bruce » Sat Nov 21, 2009 06:16

Yep 308 is a beta. I'm not part of the beta testing group but when I contacted the Beyonwiz tech support by phone recently they were kind enough to send it to me. I had been trying to get the H1 problem caused by 301 fixed (the one where a USB drive was needed to be able to use WizPNP) but now that 308 supports acting as a server as well as a client I've decided to leave the USB drive connected anyway...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 09:24

bruce wrote:... I had been trying to get the H1 problem caused by 301 fixed (the one where a USB drive was needed to be able to use WizPNP) but now that 308 supports acting as a server as well as a client I've decided to leave the USB drive connected anyway...
:)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Mork
Master

Melbourne (And Hobart) Radar is blank.

Post by Mork » Sat Feb 13, 2010 08:49

For the last few weeks (at least) the Melbourne Radar image has been blank (Eg no image at all). - Clearing the WizTV Cache has no effect, (Sydney and Brisbane mages are OK).

I note that it seems the the BoM may have decommisioned the Melbourne (University) Radar, and now the primary radar is the Melbourne Airport.

Maybe the WizBots are still looking at the old radar site.
Back to the Forum with a new V2. (RIP my ever trusty DP-S1 and DP-Lite) :D

bruce
Apprentice

Re: Melbourne (And Hobart) Radar is blank.

Post by bruce » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47

Mork wrote:I note that it seems the the BoM may have decommisioned the Melbourne (University) Radar, and now the primary radar is the Melbourne Airport.
The BOM site says "The Melbourne (Laverton) radar is currently off line due to technical difficulties. The radar is being put through a series of rigorous tests to identify the cause of the issue. Weather data and information is available via the backup Melbourne Airport radar. Further updates will be posted as new information becomes available. "

GregH
Master

Post by GregH » Fri Mar 05, 2010 17:17

Melbourne's Radar is working again. Looks like the Laverton problem has been fixed.
T4 Wired Network
Sony 75" 9500X UHD LED HDMI
LG 3D Blu-Ray HDMI
Foxtel iQ4 HDMI
Denon AVR-X1200W

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”