New weather page layout.

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Would you prefer a three column weather page layout?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 15, 2008 23:04

Yes - I like the new three column option.
77%
No - Keep it the way it is now - two columns.
23%

Total votes: 13

peteru
Uber Wizard

New weather page layout.

Post by peteru » Sun Dec 14, 2008 23:04

Poll is now closed and an alternative solution has been implemented.

I am experimenting with a new layout for the WizTV weather page:

New:

Old:

This started off mainly as an exercise to accommodate users in ACT / Canberra, however due to a number of technical details, I ended up with this design. Personally I prefer the less cluttered two column option.
Last edited by peteru on Tue Dec 16, 2008 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

jezza
Apprentice

Post by jezza » Mon Dec 15, 2008 05:32

Put newcastle in the the three clumn and I will be happy with the new design.

Cheers
jezza

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 05:56

I'm with you on the 2 columns being tidier, but I take it that the 3 columns will show all the choices without having to scroll? If that's so, maybe it's worth giving it a run for a while, I assume it could always be changed again down the track if desired. (no vote cast as it's a bet each way.... :) )
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Mon Dec 15, 2008 07:28

Personally I would like for Townsville to be on the front page. It still amazes me after all these years why the biggest city in North Queensland is always pushed to the side in favour of Cairns. Totally different weather :(

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 08:26

I think I prefer the simplicity of the 2-column layout.

If you go with the three-column layout, I'd prefer to see the state capitals all in the first column, and the ACT/NSW entry renamed NSW/ACT with Sydney in the first column and Canberra in the second, rather than alphabetical order.

In either case, does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a short list of major centres at the beginning of the list of locations at the next level down, followed by the remainder of the list?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Dec 15, 2008 08:28

Hi Peter,

I don't actually mind which way you decide to do this. Fewer entries on the screen make for a less cluttered screen but potentially mean that you need to add more screens or introduce scroll bars. More entries on the screen make the screen a little more busy but allow for faster more direct access to the information for more people.

In any case I hope you are able to bring forward your plans to have a default location (perhaps based on postal code) so that the first screen shown when you select the weather is for your default location and the above menus then become an optional link or button from the default location weather information.

Regards,
Ian.

download
Guru

Post by download » Mon Dec 15, 2008 08:33

Anyway you can't set the BW to remember the last choice? I'd imagine in 98% of the time users will select the same place. So keep the on screen count to a minimum if you like but just have the desired page as a default. Even if selecting the actual item is too difficult you should be able to send the 'page' info in a get request?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:01

WizTV is not a Wiz service, it is a server side service.
Regards
Tony

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:05

xnikx wrote:Personally I would like for Townsville to be on the front page. It still amazes me after all these years why the biggest city in North Queensland is always pushed to the side in favour of Cairns. Totally different weather :(
I was actually going for Townsville to start off with, but then chose Cairns because it is geographically further away from Brisbane. I was trying not to have geographically clustered location selections, but given the size of Queensland, Townsville vs Cairns... :lol: I suppose I should have gone for Mt. Isa to keep off the coast. 8)

I still have plans to allow you to choose your weather location, but this was part of a quick change to get Canberra on the screen.

Blog.

download
Guru

Post by download » Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:10

tonymy01 wrote:WizTV is not a Wiz service, it is a server side service.
Regards
Understood. But in requesting the data you pull down you could put in default first views (e.g.):

http://wittv/weather/page[insert client saved value here].html

Regards

Peter Gillespie

xnikx
Master

Post by xnikx » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18

peteru wrote:
xnikx wrote:Personally I would like for Townsville to be on the front page. It still amazes me after all these years why the biggest city in North Queensland is always pushed to the side in favour of Cairns. Totally different weather :(
I was actually going for Townsville to start off with, but then chose Cairns because it is geographically further away from Brisbane. I was trying not to have geographically clustered location selections, but given the size of Queensland, Townsville vs Cairns... :lol: I suppose I should have gone for Mt. Isa to keep off the coast. 8)

I still have plans to allow you to choose your weather location, but this was part of a quick change to get Canberra on the screen.
You chose Cairns :shock: Give yourself an uppercut :lol:

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:36

prl wrote:If you go with the three-column layout, I'd prefer to see the state capitals all in the first column, and the ACT/NSW entry renamed NSW/ACT with Sydney in the first column and Canberra in the second, rather than alphabetical order.
I voted for three, but I absolutely agree with this, state capitals should be in the first column and secondary cities in the second column.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Dec 16, 2008 23:48

In the end, I ended up leaving the two column layout, but added a "Favourite weather location" at the top.

When you visit a weather page for a location, you can now use the FAV key to make it your favourite. Once you have done this, it will always appear at the top of the Wiz Weather list.

Blog.

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”