Poor Performance of WizTV

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Mork
Master

Poor Performance of WizTV

Post by Mork » Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:15

Got on the WizTV bandwagon early, and ignoring issues of content, the performance was quite good. A few seconds to get the WizTV Menu up.

However I have noticed that in the last few night, performance is Woefull. Broadband Speed test shows me at about 6Mb/s to my ISP, so n o performance bottlenecks here.

Two things are apparent here. WizTV does not seem to be cached on the Wiz, and the Application Servers at WizTV dont seem to be up to it at the moment.

How are the rest of you going, performance wise?
Back to the Forum with a new V2. (RIP my ever trusty DP-S1 and DP-Lite) :D

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:45

Just did a server performance test. Generating and downloading a typical WizTV page takes less than half a second. Even the most complex and longest WizTV page can be retrieved in well under one second.

Clearly the server side is not the issue - the server runs at less than 2% load.

This leaves either the processing power in the PVR or the speed/latency of your network connection as the likely culprits. Is it possible that you are seeing slow downs because you are using IceTV and tried to access WizTV soon after starting the Beyonwiz? IceTV processing can slow down the box in the first few minutes after startup.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Mork
Master

Post by Mork » Sat Dec 13, 2008 06:34

peteru wrote:Just did a server performance test. Generating and downloading a typical WizTV page takes less than half a second. Even the most complex and longest WizTV page can be retrieved in well under one second.

Clearly the server side is not the issue - the server runs at less than 2% load.

This leaves either the processing power in the PVR or the speed/latency of your network connection as the likely culprits. Is it possible that you are seeing slow downs because you are using IceTV and tried to access WizTV soon after starting the Beyonwiz? IceTV processing can slow down the box in the first few minutes after startup.
Not the experience I have been getting at around 8PM the last couple of nights.

The Wiz had been on for some time. Could have been an issue in the Optus Network, but the speed test looked OK.

Can you PM me the WizTV FrontEnd Application server name or IP Address. Next time I see it I will do some traceroutes and see ikf I can figure out if the network connectivity is an issue.

I guess the second part of my post is important, It seems (and I may be wrong) that there is no caching of the WizTV content on the Wiz. As content gets more complex, and even (hopefully) includes media downloads, then caching will be critical to the WizTV Experience.

P.S. Took about 2s to startup WizTV this morning @ 7:20: - Speed Terst results below:

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*13/12/2008*] @ [*07:31 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*OptusNet*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*2.7 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*9.06 Mbps*] (9063 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.11 MB/s*] (1133 KB/s). )]

bmavad
Apprentice

Post by bmavad » Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:20

Definitely slower Mork. I actually thought it was no longer functioning.
Cheers,
Dave

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:21

peteru wrote:Just did a server performance test. Generating and downloading a typical WizTV page takes less than half a second. Even the most complex and longest WizTV page can be retrieved in well under one second.
Pages almost always take about 2 seconds for me, and always have.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Dec 22, 2008 14:54

When I I was talking about pages being retrieved in under 1 second, I was measuring the server performance against a computer. The goal of that was to determine whether the assertion that the server can not cope was true. As it turns out, it was not. The server can generate pages faster than the PVR can display them and has plenty of spare capacity at least for now.

When measured with a Beyonwiz PVR, the "from click to view" time will always be greater. This is because there are many things that need to happen at the PVR between the server churning out the data and the PVR displaying it on the screen.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Mon Dec 22, 2008 21:19

thanks, Peter
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

diesel
Wizard

Post by diesel » Sat Dec 27, 2008 23:04

Mork wrote:The Wiz had been on for some time. Could have been an issue in the Optus Network, but the speed test looked OK.

P.S. Took about 2s to startup WizTV this morning @ 7:20: - Speed Terst results below:
I am also on the Optus network (not for much longer though) and find intermittent issues with logging onto WizTV. Mine always takes about 5-6secs to load up the main page and anywhere up to 10 secs for the ABC pages.
Lately I have been getting an error missage after the PVR is unable to contact to WizTV server after searching for ~20 secs.

It seems if I power cycle the PVR, I can usually access WizTV again.

It seems there maybe an issue...

Mork
Master

Post by Mork » Sun Dec 28, 2008 08:19

diesel wrote:Lately I have been getting an error missage after the PVR is unable to contact to WizTV server after searching for ~20 secs.

It seems if I power cycle the PVR, I can usually access WizTV again.

It seems there maybe an issue...
I havnt seen that error message, however have seen some occassional delays and a quick check of my ISP connection looks OK in terms of available bandwitdh and latency, however I don't know the IP adress of the WizTV server, so I can't check the latency to that server for a definitive answer on the Network vs Wiz or Server.

Next time I see it I will try the Power Cycle Wizzy thing and see if it helps.

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”