WIZTV

ABC News, ABC Sport, Wiz Weather, Wiz Gadgets etc Discussed here.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

chromis
Apprentice

WIZTV

Post by chromis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 16:53

I just got the news.

How exciting! I cant wait until I get home to try it.

Thanks Guys!

Now all I need to do is find the update?

prl
Wizard God

Re: WIZTV

Post by prl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 16:55

chromis wrote:I just got the news.

How exciting! I cant wait until I get home to try it.

Thanks Guys!

Now all I need to do is find the update?
Sorry, it hasn't been released yet. We hope it will be released in the next few days.

And joy will be unbounded :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

chromis
Apprentice

Post by chromis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 16:57

Ah sorry it said this afternoon in the email...

I got excited.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 16:59

chromis wrote:Ah sorry it said this afternoon in the email...

I got excited.
No, you're right. I missed this announcement.

The firmware is now available on the Downloads page on WizTV and on the Beyonwiz downloads page, though only for the DP-S1 right at the moment. I'm sure the rest will follow shortly.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

PLANT
Master

WIZTV

Post by PLANT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 17:51

Hi all,

Is this working now anyone?
Is it free?
Is it time to hook the S1 to the internet via wifi for this to work?

spinifex
Apprentice

Post by spinifex » Tue Dec 09, 2008 17:57

prl wrote:
chromis wrote:Ah sorry it said this afternoon in the email...

I got excited.
No, you're right. I missed this announcement.

The firmware is now available on the Downloads page on WizTV and on the Beyonwiz downloads page, though only for the DP-S1 right at the moment. I'm sure the rest will follow shortly.
:( :? :cry:
Regards
Jon

DP-S1, DP-P2, DP-P2TB x 2
Skippa...... Oh wait, ours didn't get delivered.
Hitachi 55" plasma
Onkyo TX-SR607 (5 hdmi ports), Pioneer DVD, LG stb, LG vcr
Accusound fronts, Bose rears, Yamaha centre,Earthquake 150 Sub.
Networked to computers and Thecus N5200 Pro (for backup)

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Dec 09, 2008 17:59

Hi Plant,
PLANT wrote:Is this working now anyone?
If you mean WizTV - Yes.
PLANT wrote:Is it free?
As per the terms and conditions when you sign up - Yes, but you are responsible for any Internet usage charges your ISP may impose.
PLANT wrote:Is it time to hook the S1 to the internet via wifi for this to work?
An Internet connection is required for WizTV to work.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:02

Hi Spinifex,
spinifex wrote: :( :? :cry:
You are reacting to old news. The firmware updates for all 4 models are now up on the Beyonwiz Australia website. They are *NOT* yet on the corporate website. The firmware updates are also available on the WizTV website.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:15

Hi Plant,
PLANT wrote:Is there a walkthru to set this up with the S1
ie. router,internet settings and does it need to be on/connected 24/7?

Can someone post a walkthru!
Please have a read through the networking are of this forum and also the guides on the Beyonwiz and WizTV websites.

For WizTV usage the Internet need only be connected/available when you are trying to use WizTV.

Regards,
Ian.
Last edited by IanSav on Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:15

PLANT wrote:Is there a walkthru to set this up with the S1
ie. router,internet settings and does it need to be on/connected 24/7?

Can someone post a walkthru!
It's just the same as setting up for a network/internet connection to the Wiz - nothing different is needed.

There are guides in the forum and also on the two websites already, so no point in creating new ones.
Cheers
Gully

PLANT
Master

Post by PLANT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:28

I see it under Networking!
Sorry about that.
Can I delete or have my prvious posts deleted?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:30

PLANT wrote:I see it under Networking!
Sorry about that.
Can I delete or have my prvious posts deleted?
You can only delete a post if it's yours and it's the last post in the topic. Unless you're a moderator.

While it's slightly bad form to cross-post, I don't think that any posts need to be deleted.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Dec 09, 2008 19:58

prl wrote:You can only delete a post if it's yours and it's the last post in the topic. Unless you're a moderator.

While it's slightly bad form to cross-post, I don't think that any posts need to be deleted.
I agree and given all the posts that now quote yours it would mean deleting more than your one.
Cheers
Gully

spinifex
Apprentice

Post by spinifex » Tue Dec 09, 2008 23:40

IanSav wrote:Hi Spinifex,
spinifex wrote: :( :? :cry:
You are reacting to old news. The firmware updates for all 4 models are now up on the Beyonwiz Australia website. They are *NOT* yet on the corporate website. The firmware updates are also available on the WizTV website.

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks Ian

Still trying to find my way around, trying to keep up with my guide dog. :)

Regards

Jon
Regards
Jon

DP-S1, DP-P2, DP-P2TB x 2
Skippa...... Oh wait, ours didn't get delivered.
Hitachi 55" plasma
Onkyo TX-SR607 (5 hdmi ports), Pioneer DVD, LG stb, LG vcr
Accusound fronts, Bose rears, Yamaha centre,Earthquake 150 Sub.
Networked to computers and Thecus N5200 Pro (for backup)

macca
Apprentice

Post by macca » Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:19

I've waited well over 1 1/2 years for the WizTV button do something, and guess what...it's a big time letdown.

WizTV means TV...teleVISION...not static text, especially static text information that is available more quickly and easily on other devices.

I do hope that at some time in the next 1 1/2 years there's some interesting VISION on WizTV...phhhht.

:cry:

AllanJC
Apprentice

Post by AllanJC » Thu Dec 11, 2008 08:58

Must say I agree with macca's comments here.

Don't wont to sound ungrateful though, it is good that WizTV functionality has finally been implemented. But I am underwhelmed by the current content available and hope that more will follow in due course.

Here's to continued BW improvements and new development.

Cheers.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 09:18

To the extent that they thought they could, given that Beyonwiz asked them not to talk about what was in WizTV, I think that the Beta testers tried to keep a lid on expectations about it.

I agree that it's not much more than a "fancier Teletext" at the moment. I have no idea what (if any) further services Beyonwiz intends to make available on WizTV. And even if I did know, Beyonwiz would probably have told me not to say :)

I think that being able to upgrade firmware without the need to use a PC and mess about with USB sticks or network shares is probably the most useful feature of WizTV. I think about the only reason I'll keep downloading firmware to my Mac will be to maintain the "firmware space remaining" information on the Beyonwiz Firmware Versions page.

I'm not wildly excited by VOD or other pay-per-view services. I get about 5Mb/s on my ADSL2+ Internet connection, and my quota would perhaps allow me one or two movie downloads a month. So unless any VOD service comes with content I want to watch and a free download quota on an ISP I want to use, I probably won't use it much. I know there are others who view VOD as a make-or-break issue.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grl
Master

Post by grl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59

On of things I noticed is that it still looks reasonable on an old CRT TV. To me this means they aren't really using the full capabilities that they could because they are maintaining backwards compatibility for old 576i sets. If they started assuming a hidef display then a lot more info could be displayed on the screen, at the expense of leaving behind people with old TVs, of course. What does it look like on a hidef dsiplay, anyway? Just larger, clearer text?
DP-P2, HDMI, Samsung LA32A650A1
DP-P2, composite, Sharp CRT

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 15:45

AllanJC wrote:Must say I agree with macca's comments here.

Don't wont to sound ungrateful though, it is good that WizTV functionality has finally been implemented. But I am underwhelmed by the current content available and hope that more will follow in due course.

Cheers.
Well I will sound ungrateful but I don't really care... I don't need my media player to give me some static news and weather, nor do I want it to eventually order my pizzas - I can find my way to The Age and BoM websites fine thanks, and 13 11 66 is embedded in my brain.

What I would actually like is a freaking DVD player that plays DVDs. A function that I paid for and yet another firmware has failed to deliver. Am I surprised? No, not in the least. The BW crowd seems intent on delivering more and more extraneous features and function before fixing the very basics. No doubt the fanboys are delighted by this whimsical little addition to its functionality.

bolo125
Apprentice

Post by bolo125 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 15:58

WizTv...wtf is that supposed to be? I get better functionality on my 3 mobile phone

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 16:15

bolo125 wrote:WizTv...wtf is that supposed to be? I get better functionality on my 3 mobile phone
It's for what it says it's for (Services menu). If you prefer to use your mobile, use it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 07:28

SomebodyElse wrote:[

What I would actually like is a freaking DVD player that plays DVDs. A function that I paid for and yet another firmware has failed to deliver.
I'd like to add my voice to this. Probably not quite as strong, as mine will play DVD's but there are enough niggles to make me start to want to look at another product as an add-on to overcome the problems.
Its the major reason I bought an S1. I would hope that the next release will have a fair bit of effort is put into what I see as a basic function of the product that doesn't work satisfactorily.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Dec 12, 2008 09:10

Hi,

The WizTV thread is not the place to discuss the DVD issues. Beyonwiz is aware of many of the DVD playback issues. The beta testers applied pressure for this to be fixed before the 01.05.280 release. Unfortunately other pressures were brought to bare and this did not happen. Rest assured that this is a very high priority on the beta tester's agenda for the next release.

Regards,
Ian.

bmavad
Apprentice

Post by bmavad » Fri Dec 12, 2008 09:14

AllanJC wrote:Must say I agree with macca's comments here.

Cheers.
Thanks Allan and Macca for putting what I feel into text in a polite and positive manner. I have seen IP STBs that offer excellent IPTV functionality and was quite disappointed when I tried the new code. At the least I was hoping to access the ABCs on-line offerings, but have to content myself with weather and news summaries.

If only there was some hint of a future enhancement in this area...
Cheers,
Dave

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:14

IanSav wrote:The WizTV thread is not the place to discuss the DVD issues.
Fair comment, however I do think it as in context to mention that I think the WizTV function is a complete waste of time and that they would have been better dedicating resources to fixing up the basics, namely making the DVD player functional.

But on the subject of WizTV itself, exactly what is the point? The weather forecast only gives a high level view, pretty much useless really. There's far more detail on the BoM website.

Similarly the "news", it's about the same level of detail as Teletext used to provide, and look how well that was regarded here in Australia! Far more detailed news is available on the web, so why waste time with this?

I can see no benefit whatsoever from the WizTV package as it stands today. I can't imagine I'm ever going to bother pressing that button again, apart from perhaps showing somebody the novelty value of it.

As I said before I risked taking this off-topic, I'd rather the scarce BW engineering skills were put to better use.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:23

Hi SomebodyElse,

I suspect that we are still in the early days of WizTV. I believe there are two parts to this project. The first deals with the firmware upgrade within the Beyonwiz to provide the platform for WizTV to operate. The second is the content that the firmware accesses and displays. Now that the first stage is done and out there I suspect that the content team will get on with listening to user feedback and start expanding the offerings available within WizTV. WizTV content is not set in concrete and will be evolving and growing.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:44

SomebodyElse wrote:...
Similarly the "news", it's about the same level of detail as Teletext used to provide, and look how well that was regarded here in Australia! Far more detailed news is available on the web, so why waste time with this?
Teletext still provides news, but I think the news articles are, in general, a good deal longer than the Teletext articles. As for a comparison with the Web, I think that the articles are sourced from the same material that the ABC has on http://abc.net.au/news/. Other sources (particularly the newspaper sites are more detailed.

I was a little disappointed with the offering on WizTV and I don't use it much. If it's just a digital "foot in the door" of internet services on the Beyonwiz, and eventually does offer the "Useful internet service" in the DP-S1 features page, then it may turn out to have been worth it. At the moment, I think the most useful features so far are the update service and the weather. There are some areas that don't have anything in them at the moment, but from their names, they don't look too promising so far.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

SomebodyElse
Guru

Post by SomebodyElse » Fri Dec 12, 2008 16:47

prl wrote:At the moment, I think the most useful features so far are the update service and the weather. There are some areas that don't have anything in them at the moment, but from their names, they don't look too promising so far.
I am dubious about the benefits of the update service - I think knowing about it from these forums and watching the forums after release is pretty effective. I think the weather is too superficial. And I think the other stuff looks like push advertising to me!

nleeb

wiztv

Post by nleeb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:12

Sorry guys not sure if I have missed something but I have downloaded the new firmware released Dec-08 and pressed the wiztv button and get a message saying cant access webpage?

Do you have to subscibe to the service or something?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:34

You need to have a working internet connection going to your Beyonwiz. Once you have that, you will get further instructions on the screen.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

nleeb

WIZTV

Post by nleeb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:51

I'm able to connect to WLAN through my setting and IceTV works so could it be something else?

nleeb

WIZTV

Post by nleeb » Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:58

All sorted now sorry - thanks :)

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Dec 12, 2008 20:42

nleeb wrote:All sorted now sorry - thanks :)
So would you like to share what the problem and solution was?
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 21:36

SomebodyElse wrote:
prl wrote:At the moment, I think the most useful features so far are the update service and the weather. There are some areas that don't have anything in them at the moment, but from their names, they don't look too promising so far.
I am dubious about the benefits of the update service - I think knowing about it from these forums and watching the forums after release is pretty effective. I think the weather is too superficial. And I think the other stuff looks like push advertising to me!
I didn't say that they were very useful. Just that I thought them the most useful of what's there.

For the updates, I imagine that the great majority of Beyonwiz users don't read the forum, so the notification might be more useful to them than to forum regulars. And the mechanism is certainly simpler than having to set up Windows shares or fiddle about with USB sticks.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 06:53

Is there any way to go back one menu level?
E.G.
Load WizTV, enter news, then I want to go back to the opening menu, and browse another section without exiting and reloading WizTV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Dec 13, 2008 07:40

grampus wrote:Is there any way to go back one menu level?
E.G.
Load WizTV, enter news, then I want to go back to the opening menu, and browse another section without exiting and reloading WizTV
Yes. Use the Prev button (the circular arrow). The WizTV button takes you to the main menu.

WizTV has its own help pages in Wiz Help.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Sat Dec 13, 2008 08:14

prl wrote:
grampus wrote:Is there any way to go back one menu level?
E.G.
Yes. Use the Prev button (the circular arrow). The WizTV button takes you to the main menu.

WizTV has its own help pages in Wiz Help.
Thankee!

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 15:41

Just wondered if anyone else has lost wiz vip and wiz partners on the front page or is just a bug I have?

Gully

Post by Gully » Wed Apr 01, 2009 18:29

crippstor wrote:Just wondered if anyone else has lost wiz vip and wiz partners on the front page or is just a bug I have?
Same here - just a redesign I am sure.
Cheers
Gully

grampus
Wizard

Post by grampus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 09:23

Gully wrote:
crippstor wrote:Just wondered if anyone else has lost wiz vip and wiz partners on the front page or is just a bug I have?
Same here - just a redesign I am sure.
It's a test to see if anyone is using the function?
:lol:

Return to “WizTV Info Based Services”