Yardwiz - what the......????

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

scaredy cat
Apprentice

Yardwiz - what the......????

Post by scaredy cat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 18:39

Yeah,

I'm not going to be popular with this post, but here goes.

There is "WizFX" which only just makes it as usable.

Then I was told of YARDWIZ which is supposed to be better.

Ok, I got it.

Load it and it asks me for the IP address of the beyonwiz.

I put it in and click the button.

I get a message saying there was a problem and to look at a log file.

Here's the kicker.

The program installs itself (in the typical windoze fashion) where it wants. Ok, I can live with that for now.

But the error message the log file is in a whole different path - of which I can't read.

Who writes these programs?

Obviously someone who really likes to make people run all over their hard disc looking for files.

The path - which I finally found - is also hard to find as most of it is HIDDEN!

My understanding of HIDDEN files is that they are supposed to be hidden and the user is not supposed to go there.

Why on earth would you then write a program which writes files to these places?

It can't be that difficult to write the log file in the same directory as the program.

Or at least, in "MY DOCUMENTS"

Sheesh!

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Mar 09, 2013 19:46

There is really no need to have a go at the author or anyone on this forum.

You have problem, fair enough, so post with the details and concerns and wait for helpful answers.

Also as there is already a topic all about YARDWiz, it is a great idea to have a read to see if anyone had the same problem and an even better idea to post there so other users and the author can find it more easily and respond.
Cheers
Gully

scaredy cat
Apprentice

Post by scaredy cat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 20:16

You are correct in a lot of ways.

Usually things are removable with a bit of looking, but for what I
Was trying to do and the error, it just overwhelmed me.

Not living on the web, I am a bit of a ludite.

I shall have to look for that thread.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Yardwiz - what the......????

Post by prl » Sat Mar 09, 2013 22:24

scaredy cat wrote:...

Ok, I got it.

Load it and it asks me for the IP address of the beyonwiz.

I put it in and click the button.

I get a message saying there was a problem and to look at a log file.
I wasn't able to reproduce this problem from the description you gave. If you want assistance, it's useful to give enough information for others to reproduce the problem and offer assistance.
scaredy cat wrote: Who writes these programs?
Luke wrote YARDWiz, and I wrote getWizPnP, which YARDWiz uses to communicate with the Beyonwiz. This isn't actually hard to find out.
scaredy cat wrote:... Sheesh!
You are most welcome to write something better. Or make suggestions for improvements.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

scaredy cat
Apprentice

Post by scaredy cat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 15:45

Ah,

getWizPnP....

I don't have that and didn't see it mentioned.

Shall look for it and see if changes the situation.

The whole idea was to get a "simple" PVR to help me collect and archive shows.
I accept that things need to have things in them to make them work, but in plain sight would be nicer and make it easier for dorks like me to get my head around.

quote="prl"][quote="scaredy cat"]...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 16:22

There's no need to get getWizPnP separately unless you want to use it separately. It's a command-line program, and YARDWiz (and WIzZilla before it) is intended to make getWizPnP easier to use. The copy of getWizPnP included in the WIndows YARDWiz distribution (in the YARDWiz install folder) can be run from there (in a Windows cmd window) if you really want to do it. It's the same getWizPnP you'd get if you downloaded it from the getWizPnP distribution page.

GetWizPnP can be downloaded as a standalone Windows (or OS X, Linux or Cygwin) program via the OpenWiz software page. However, there is a new version in the works that fixes some significant bugs in getWizPnP. These bugs, though, should have no bearing on the problem you originally described.

IMO it would probably be more productive to try to resolve why YARDWiz doesn't work for you, but you don't seem to have addressed that part of my post.

In particular, a full description of how you got the IP address you tried in YARDWiz, what you did to use it in YARDWiz and the error message text that you got would help. Also, since you appear to have located the YARDWiz log file, posting its contents might also be useful.

The error you're getting is most likely being generated by getWizPnP, but the handling, logging and display of the error message is done by YARDWiz.

getWizPnP, although it's fairly well documented, is a real Unixoid beast, with a dizzying array of options:

Code: Select all

Usage: getWizPnP.pl [--help|-h] [--version]
                  [--device dev|-D dev] [--maxdevs=devs|-m devs]
                  [--longNames]
                  [--host=host|-H host] [--port=port|-p port]
                  [--list|-l] [--List|-L] [--check|-c]
                  [--copy|-C] [--delete|-X] [--move|-M] [--dryrun|-n]
                  [--media=exts] [--stopFolders=folderlist]
                  [--nameFormat=fmt|-T fmt] [--dateFormat=fmt]
                  [--folder=folderlist|-f folderlist]
                  [--recursive|--all|-a]
                  [--regexp|-r] [--expression|-e] [-BWName|-B]
                  [--sort=sortcode|-s sortcode]
                  [--dictionarySort=ignoretype|-i ignoretype]
                  [--dictStoplist=words|-S words]
                  [--date|-d] [--episode|-E] [--ts|-t] [--join|-j]
                  [--before=datetime] [--since=datetime]
                  [--reconstruct[=[maxscan],[frac],[fixed]]]
                  [--resume|-R] [--force|-F][--retry=n]
                  [--delay=time]
                  [--outDir=dir|-O dir] [--inDir=dir|-I dir]
                  [--verbose|-v] [--Verbose=level|-V level] [--quiet|-q]
                  [--discover] [--wizpnpPoll=npoll] [--wizpnpTimeout=timeout]
                  [ recording match patterns... ]
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

scaredy cat
Apprentice

Post by scaredy cat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 16:28

PRL

Sorry, I am not trying to be difficult.

I am overwhelmed with other problems just now and am frantically trying to get them fixed.

I noticed the reply and quickly posted a reply.

I shall try to get a full blown reply as soon as possible.

I load the program, enter the IP and press the load button.

This is the log file:

ERROR utilities.excepthook: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "yardwizgui\utilities.pyc", line 34, in run_with_except_hook
File "yardwizgui\utilities.pyc", line 146, in run
File "yardwizgui\utilities.pyc", line 60, in isonline
File "socket.pyc", line 184, in __init__
error: [Errno 10106] The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized

I'm open to what it means....

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 16:39

If getting YARDWiz working is not a high priority for you, that's no problem. Just come back to the forum when you have the time. Re-posting about the problem in Yet Another Recording Downloader for the Wiz would probably be a good way to go, because it means that problems with and advice about YARDWiz get collected in the same place.

When you repost, posting the missing bits from what I asked along with the bits you did reply to would be useful.
prl wrote:In particular, a full description of how you got the IP address you tried in YARDWiz, what you did to use it in YARDWiz and the error message text that you got would help. Also, since you appear to have located the YARDWiz log file, posting its contents might also be useful.
The Software Developers area is more intended for people who are interested in the mechanics of programming for the Beyonwiz, making firmware modifications and so on.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 17:58

scaredy cat wrote:...
error: [Errno 10106] The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized

I'm open to what it means....
From a bit of Googling, it appears to be most likely caused by a misconfiguration in your Windows setup. There's a description of the error here (this isn't the only place I found where the misconfiguration was discussed, but it seems to give a reasonably, not overtechnical description). The page also offers a download that is supposed to the problem. I don't know anything about it, and while I might risk it on my own computer, I don't intend recommending it to anyone else.

Anything more probably needs someone who knows a good deal more about Windows than I do.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Wed Mar 13, 2013 07:14

scaredy cat wrote:The program installs itself (in the typical windoze fashion) where it wants.
The program installs itself where _you_ tell it to, the default is the usual Windows default program directory. You could have changed it if you had bothered to read what the installer said.
scaredy cat wrote:But the error message the log file is in a whole different path - of which I can't read.

The path - which I finally found - is also hard to find as most of it is HIDDEN!

My understanding of HIDDEN files is that they are supposed to be hidden and the user is not supposed to go there.

Why on earth would you then write a program which writes files to these places?
The log file gets written to the temp directory which is pretty standard practice for non-system logs. Not my problem that Windows decides to hide it. You can change your temp directory to C:\Temp if you want. And if you had bothered to read the help, you could have found out how to find out the full path to the log file quite easily.
scaredy cat wrote:It can't be that difficult to write the log file in the same directory as the program.
Actually it is, as the program directory is protected by Windows and requires Admin privileges to write to. Which means in Windows Vista and later, the program can not write to its own directory unless it is "run as administrator".

Do not rant at me for something I develop in my own time and provide to you for free. If you don't like it, make constructive suggestions or simply don't use it. If you want help, ask. Hopefully someone can assist, as I'm not going to.

Return to “Software Developers”