WizRemote - Set timers on your wiz remotely via the web!

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

jim16
Apprentice

Post by jim16 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 14:35

tonymy01 wrote:i already gotyour perltgd working as wiztimerd, see a few threads down. Www.openwiz.org has enough info to hack 4 telnet. Build a serial adapter is a better way i think.
Hi tony,

Yes I know that you have ported my PerlTGD to the wiz ( nice work btw ), but pvrtimersd will expand on both PerlTGD and wiztimerd to support users with both a toppy and a wiz i.e. When to many timers exist at that same time for the number of tuners on the device, the dropped timer will be placed on the other device etc.. Thanks for the tip with openwiz.org will use the information to add telnet to the device and start hacking away.

Regards

jim16

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 14:44

jim16 wrote:Hi All,

Is there a telnet patched firmware available for the DP-P2? If not are there some instructions on how to enable telnet? Just purchased a device and want to get stuck into implementing my pvrtimersd application and running this tool for the wiz for it to become my primary PVR. Before a suggestion is made to use ICE for setting timers, they don't provide a guide for my region so i'm stuck.

Regards

jim16
I have a toolkit (BWFWTools) that uses efry's Wiz Firmware Tools to allow the Beyonwiz firmware packages to be unpacked into the file system, manipulated (by hand in the current version), and repacked.

I have almost completed coding and testing of a new tool for BWFWTools that allows patcher modules to be run to allow particular changes to the firmware. The simplest patcher module that works with this is one that enables Telnet. I haven't tried it on the P2 firmware, but I don't think that that will cause any problems. This new tool will let anyone apply any of the standard patches to any firmware.

Unfortunately, the current released version of Wiz Firmware Tools doesn't work properly with Windows; there'll be a companion release of that that works on Linux, Windows, Cygwin/Windows and OS X. But the release of the two packages will be a week or two coming.

If you're willing to get BWFWTools from beyonwizsoftware.net, and can compile Wiz Firmware Tools from openwiz.org (you can also get BWFWTools from there), you can enable telnet just by unpacking the firmware with unpack_wrp.pl, editing the Beyonwiz /etc/rc.sysinit to add

Code: Select all

telnetd -l /bin/sh &
just before the line

Code: Select all

# rc.local
and then repacking the firmware with pack_wrp.pl. You must use an editor that preserves Unix-style (newline only) line endings There are some more details of how to run unpack_wrp.pl and pack_wrp.pl. However, it describes how to do a more complicated patch that can also enable telnet, but can also do much more.

If you're not confident of being able to do this from those instructions and the documentation with the firmware tools, it's probably not a good idea to try.

The effect of this hack can be undone by re-installing the original Beyonwiz firmware package.

And to repeat what the documentation says:
BWFWTools Documentation wrote:Using user extensions or hacks may make your Beyonwiz unable to operate correctly, or even start. Some modifications are known to interfere with the correct functioning of the Beyonwiz.

If your Beyonwiz cannot start after you load modified firmware, you may need to use the procedures in the NOTICE - How to recover from FW update failure procedure on the Beyonwiz forum. It's not known whether that procedure will fix all failures due to user modifications or "hacks".

If you run modified firmware on your Beyonwiz, and have problems with its operation, try to reproduce any problems you do have on a Beyonwiz running unmodified firmware, or at least mention the modifications you use when reporting the problem to Beyonwiz support or on the Beyonwiz Forum. Beyonwiz support may not be able to assist if you are running anything other than unmodified firmware from Beyonwiz. Forum contributors may be able to be more flexible, but they will need to know what modifications you have made.
A recent further risk is that there have been reports on the beta forum that the firmware recovery procedure may not work with firmware 1.05.261. It would probably be advisable to try using it before you try any modifications to the firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Software Developers”