What's inside a DP-S1?

Advanced Discussions on Programing for & Modifying Beyonwiz Products.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

prl
Wizard God

What's inside a DP-S1?

Post by prl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 15:11

Repost from a slightly obscure part of the forum. Last updated 25/1/08.

Photos and some of the part number information from PVRTools DP-S1 review pages. Some information from posts by peteru & NPR.

DP-S1 internal layout photo (PVRTools)

Motherboard: don't know. Beyonwiz's own?
Main chip: Sigma Designs EM8623L. Comparison chart (NPR here) with other Sigma Designs Media processors, contains a useful summary of the 8623 capability. Photo (PVRTools)
CPU: 200MHz ARM core on main chip
Video decoder: 1 x separate RISC processor on main chip
RAM support: up to 128MB
RAM installed: 64MB (peteru here)
Flash support: up to 64MB
Flash installed: don't know; > 7MB, since the firmware downloads are about that big.
Disk interfaces: IDE-1 for flash, IDE-2 for HDD
PCI support: up to 3 devices
On-chip Ethernet: none
Other on-chip devices: IR, I2C, front panel
Tuners: LG 1 x TDTM-G212D (external connectors), 1 x TDTM-G213D (no external connectors) photo (PVRTools). There is some generic information about the LG TDTM family of tuners on http://www.lginnotek.com/bin/product/cate_func.html, under tuner > digital tuner > for terestrial OFDM > OFDM Half NIM. This brings up a page with TDTM tuner spec sheet. The spec sheet is fairly minimal, but includes a decoder for the last three characters of the model number. TDTM decodes as "OFDM Half NIM"; the 12D part of TDTM-212D decoodes as "vertical mount, 1 input, 1 through; German standards; DIN connector". The 13D part of TDTM-213D decodes, according to the spec sheet, as "vertical mount, 1 input, 1 through; Australian standards; DIN connector". Both are wrong. There is a more detailed data sheet for the TDTM-302D/TDTM-352D at http://www.haluyatech.com/down/lgtunner/TDTM-G352D.pdf. 02D doesn't decode, but 52D is "horizontal, 1 input, 1 through; German standards; DIN connector", if the decoding information can be believed, and it contains a different interpretation of the format digit from the first spec sheet. That spec sheet has a tuner block diagram and some register bit specifications. It also says the main tuner chip is an Infineon TUA6034. It seems likely the same chip is used in the Beyonwiz tuners.
HDD: 200GB Samsung SP2014N (could vary; can be checked in Setup>Management>HDD>HDD Info) photo (PVRTools).
DVD: EPO DP-306D photo (PVRTools)
HDMI Transmitter: Silicon Image PanelLink HDMI transmitter (Sil9030CTU) Video 480i/576i/480p/576p/720p/1080p/VGA/XGA/SXGA/WSXGA resolutions; Audio 2-channel 192kHz or 8-channel 96kH, IEC60958 2-channel PCM, IEC61937 compressed audio (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.) (peteru here)
Ethernet: Realtek RTL8100CL 10/100Mb/s Ethernet controller photo (PVRTools) - partial - top of photo.
W-LAN: Billionton MIWLGRL(?) Mini PCI 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Card, controller chip Ralink RT2560F photo (PVRTools). Couldn't find product details on the Billionton or on the Ralink website. Billionton part number obscured in photo, but the MIWLGRL does have a RT2560F controller chip.
Power supply: Analog & Digital Corporation. photo (PVRTools)

Operating system: uClinux kernel 2.4.26 (in 01.05.192)

Thanks to Half Round for the tuner URLs.
Last edited by prl on Tue Jul 15, 2008 17:10, edited 6 times in total.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:11

If this becomes a sticky, I will link it in the FAQ (if I haven't already?......)
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:56

brianh wrote:If this becomes a sticky, I will link it in the FAQ (if I haven't already?......)
Done (the first bit, not the second - I'll leave that to you. :D )
Cheers
Gully

bmavad
Apprentice

Post by bmavad » Tue Jan 08, 2008 21:24

Ah I see! It's got an ARM CPU core, I thought it had a MIPS core. Well there ya go.
Cheers,
Dave

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 21:52

The TF7000PVRT's Broadcom chipset has a MIPS core, and the next generation of Sigma Design does, too, but the DP-x1s are definitely ARM.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:14

Updated.

Added information based on a peteru post about the HDMI transmitter, and a link to some more information about the main processor chip from a post by NPR.

Also added a little more infoemation about the operating system.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

janilxx

Re: What's inside a DP-S1?

Post by janilxx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 04:07

prl wrote:Repost from a slightly obscure part of the forum. Last updated 25/1/08.
I have added this information also to the new wiki, because this kind of information is very useful for developers.
See: http://wiki.beyonwizsoftware.net/Beyonwiz_Inside

Wiki mainpage: http://wiki.beyonwizsoftware.net

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:43

janilxx wrote:
prl wrote:Repost from a slightly obscure part of the forum. Last updated 25/1/08.
I have added this information also to the new wiki, because this kind of information is very useful for developers.
See: http://wiki.beyonwizsoftware.net/Beyonwiz_Inside

Wiki mainpage: http://wiki.beyonwizsoftware.net
Thanks, but could you add a line about the original author and provide a link to the original post in this forum?

I intend adding some information about the firmware file format.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 23:22

prl wrote:Thanks, but could you add a line about the original author and provide a link to the original post in this forum?
There is already an external link to this forum thread in the end of given wiki page. I added your name (prl) there also.

Note also that everyone with www.beyonwizsoftware.net account can edit these wiki pages.
That kind of information would be very nice in the wiki pages.

NPR
Master

Post by NPR » Mon Feb 04, 2008 07:50

Great resource Peter, thanks for your efforts. :)
Philips plasma, Harmon Kardon amp, Logitec 525 Uni Remote, Klipsch speakers
BW, after owning a Toppy 7000, after owning a Media Centre, after owning a Strong box

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 08:30

janilxx wrote:
prl wrote:Thanks, but could you add a line about the original author and provide a link to the original post in this forum?
There is already an external link to this forum thread in the end of given wiki page. I added your name (prl) there also.

Note also that everyone with www.beyonwizsoftware.net account can edit these wiki pages.
Apologies. I didn't see the link at the bottom of the page.
janilxx wrote:
That kind of information would be very nice in the wiki pages.
Isn't it a bit inconvenient to have to maintain this in two places?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

janilxx

Post by janilxx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 16:22

prl wrote:
janilxx wrote: That kind of information would be very nice in the wiki pages.
Isn't it a bit inconvenient to have to maintain this in two places?
Yes. But because BW comes also to Finland and after that to other countries, it would be best to have this kind of information in one centralized place (not in country specific forum).

Users from different countries rarely visit other countries forums, so the wiki would be a natural place for developer information.

Also, usually only one person can edit messages in forums (e.g. you can edit this thread's first message).
In wiki, everybody can edit wiki pages. So if for example someone decides that he does not like to maintain his information (e.g. forum message), others can easily continue maintaining information in wiki

Half Round
Master

BW tuners

Post by Half Round » Sat Jul 12, 2008 17:22

Hi,
was reading the openwiz hardware site
here is some more info I found on BW tuners:
http://www.lginnotek.com/bin/product/cate_func.html
Under tuner > digital tuner > for terestrial OFDM > OFDM Half NIM this brings up a page with TDTM tuner spec sheet. Shows this is a tuner designed for Aus etc with the decode on the spec sheet.
cheers tony

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Jul 12, 2008 23:04

Thanks Tony.

Their product code system imatches 100% to the bw's 1st tuner, but not the bw's 2nd tuner.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 13, 2008 21:51

Dave? wrote:Thanks Tony.

Their product code system imatches 100% to the bw's 1st tuner, but not the bw's 2nd tuner.
Yes, thanks Tony.

I suspect that the two tuners differ only in how their RF is connected (external and internal daisy-chaining connections for the TDTM-212D and internal daisy chain connectors for the TDTM-213).

Edit:

The specs sheet (which has pretty scant detail) has a product number decoder:

Second digit=Chassis type. 1=Vertical, 1 input, 1 through; 3=Vertical 1 input; 5=Horizontal, 1 input, 1 through; 8=Horizontal 1 input

Third digit=Tuner Type. 1=England; 2=Germany; 3=Australia; 4=South America; 6=Taiwan; 8=Latvia

Final letter: Jack type: D=DIN; P=Phono; F=F-type.

This doesn't make sense to me, because the connector types are the same in the type numbers, but Dave's photo clearly shows that the TDTM-213D has no external connectors, and the '3' in 213D is for Germany.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sun Jul 13, 2008 23:49

Yep, I didn't want to post anything about the 2nd tuner because going by the spec sheet it looks the 2nd tuner is a "DIN, German, vertical, 1 input, 1 through". But that means beyonwiz have removed both the input and passthrough connectors. But why would beyonwiz go to the trouble of removing the 2 DIN connectors when they can just as easy buy them without? Though there is no part number for an internal daisy-chained connection type - so maybe they can't buy them without (from this manufacturer).

And why wouldn't they just use a 2nd tuner the same as the 1st tuner and remove it's connectors?

I suspect that beyonwiz custom ordered the 2nd tuners without connectors and the manufacturer used the different part number sticker just to identify them.

Though I believe Germany does use the same DVBt standards as us.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Mon Jul 14, 2008 00:07

prl wrote:
Dave? wrote:Thanks Tony.

Yes, thanks Tony.

I suspect that the two tuners differ only in how their RF is connected (external and internal daisy-chaining connections for the TDTM-212D and internal daisy chain connectors for the TDTM-213).

Edit:

The specs sheet (which has pretty scant detail) has a product number decoder:
Edit by t .....
This doesn't make sense to me, because the connector types are the same in the type numbers, but Dave's photo clearly shows that the TDTM-213D has no external connectors, and the '3' in 213D is for Germany.
agreed

I also found this info, which may be useful for the software players, depending if the same i2c PLL chip (TUA6034) is used:
www.haluyatech.com/down/lgtunner/TDTM-G352D.pdf
Would probably need to pull covers to see if TUA6034 is used.

cheers tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 09:48

Dave? wrote:...
But that means beyonwiz have removed both the input and passthrough connectors. But why would beyonwiz go to the trouble of removing the 2 DIN connectors when they can just as easy buy them without? Though there is no part number for an internal daisy-chained connection type - so maybe they can't buy them without (from this manufacturer).
Another thing that I don't understand is that there doesn't seem to be any pins assigned in either of the data sheets posted for the daisy-chaining connections. Perhaps both are bespoke products, or variants not mentioned in the data sheets.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 17:38

I've updated the main "what's inside" post with the new info gleaned fromthe URLs Half Round posted. Similarly on the OpenWiz.org site, though its spam filter won't let me post the URL for the Innotech tuner chip :x
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Software Developers”