Editing SAT presets without losing everything

6-in-1 Universal Learning Remote Control with Macros.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Super_Roo
Apprentice

Editing SAT presets without losing everything

Post by Super_Roo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 15:02

Hi all,

What I would like to know is how do I learn a new key on the AP-U1 without losing all of the presets?

I have a P1 so have no use for the eject button whilst on SAT. Since this remote doesnt have a Sleep key I thought I might make it that (as I am regularly falling asleep in front of the TV and my wife hates being able to see the blue ring from the bed).

I find it really hard to understand the Chinglish of the manual so if any of you guys can help it would be fantastic.

P.S. I think this remote is fantastic for the set up that I have (just the basic TV, DVD recorder and Beyonwiz set up) no complicated sound systems or amps or anything.
Thanks,
Super_Roo

My Gear:
BW DP-P1 (FW .301)
Sony Bravia 40" X Series
Sony PS3 60gb & PS3 Slim 250gb
LG DVD Recorder
Topfield 5000PVRt

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Mar 22, 2008 17:59

Hi Super_Roo.

You don't lose all the presets if you reprogram keys in the SAT, just the ones you program over. If you want to recover them, just reprogram them from the original BW remote. The BW codes are just pre-programmed into the learnt keys section of SAT, so you just reprogram it like you reprogram keys in the learnt section of any other mode.

I've reprogrammed just Vol+/- on my AP-U1 so that the volume control operates our amp, no matter what the setting (of the settings we use).

I agree about the readability of the manual, though.

I posted a mini-review of the AP-U1 a while back if you haven't read it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Sat Mar 22, 2008 19:32

Super-Roo, you may want to wait for the next firmware to be released. It accomodates the AP-U1's missing buttons by providing access to these operations via the popup menu.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

Super_Roo
Apprentice

Post by Super_Roo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:30

Dave? wrote:Super-Roo, you may want to wait for the next firmware to be released. It accomodates the AP-U1's missing buttons by providing access to these operations via the popup menu.
That sounds good but as I dont have a need for the EJECT button I may as well make it a SLEEP button instead.

Also, isnt it weird for a universal remote that can do DVD players to not have buttons for next and previous chapters. Very weird I reckon.
Thanks,
Super_Roo

My Gear:
BW DP-P1 (FW .301)
Sony Bravia 40" X Series
Sony PS3 60gb & PS3 Slim 250gb
LG DVD Recorder
Topfield 5000PVRt

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 13:57

Dave, by missing buttons are you by any chance referring to the colour buttons?

I've just received my AP-U1 and everything else works fine in the SAT mode except the colour buttons. Couldn't even learn them from the BW remote.
BW DP P1 + LiDiC
BW to Sony LCD Bravia X via HDMI
Austar to LiDiC via S-Video
Intel iMac: 2 GHz/Core 2 Duo/1 GB Ram/Mac OS X 10.4

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 14:18

If you read the Chinglish manual, the coloured buttons aren't usable as standard buttons if a macro is assigned to them. So for some reason you have macros on your remote?
Remove the macros and you can learn the buttons for normal use.
Tony

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 14:30

Nuh! I haven't got around to programming macros. Just took the remote from the packaging and thought I'd see how it worked, only to discover coloured buttons did nothing. Next I tried to "learn" the coloured buttons what to do and no success there either. Next step was Tech Support and the guy suggested I give him a call back tomorrow, after he'd worked out how to "teach" it.
BW DP P1 + LiDiC

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 14:32

You might not have, but the factory might have by accident during testing.
See if you can clear macros and try again, else it may be a hardware fault.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 14:39

You don't need to re-learn the coloured buttons if all that you've done is to enable macros on them. Just disable the macros.

The coloured buttons work just fine for me on the BW; I never needed to learn them, nor to re-learn them after I experimented with macros and decided that their implementation was completely useless for what I wanted them for (toggle power on everything). The macro is still in the remote, but I leave macros disables.

What's really not obvious from the manual is that there is only one set of 4 macros, and if they are enabled, the coloured buttons are enabled as macro buttons on all 6 modes of the remote. You can't have macros when TV is selected but not when SAT is selected, for example.

What would have made the macros useful for me would have been a macro prefix button and allowing macros to be attached to all programmable buttons. Then I could have used something like Prefix, POWER for my "toggle power on everything" function. The multi-button dance-of-the-fingers, including a 5-second press-and-hold on the backlight button, needed to switch macros on and off and the fact that they can only be attached to buttons I need to use on the BW makes them pretty much useless for me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 14:44

armiller45 wrote:... Next step was Tech Support and the guy suggested I give him a call back tomorrow, after he'd worked out how to "teach" it.
:shock: :lol: :roll:

Actually, IIRC "teaching" is comparatively well-explained in the manual. The section on macro programming is truly something to behold. And I don't mean that in a nice way. The whole manual is infested with a "we can't be bothered telling you what the buttons actually do, we'll just give you an example of a bit of their functionality" attitude that is really frustrating. It's not just the eccentric English.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 14:47

Yahoo! Exactly as you suggested Tony. Clear Macros and Learn again worked like a charm. Thanks for the help.
BW DP P1 + LiDiC

Return to “AP-U1 Remote Control”