Help interpreting manual

6-in-1 Universal Learning Remote Control with Macros.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Help interpreting manual

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 20:35

I am really struggling with the "Chinglish", or is it "Kinglish" of the manual. I have an MX500, it is a breeze to use and programme compared to this AP-U1 (even my homegrown programmable oneforall remote is more usable!).
What I am mainly trying to do is to either:
1. punch the volume control from my amp thru to all (some?) of the modes
or
2. do a key move from my amp to some of the modes.

So, I pick up the manual, and "4. Sound Sharing Function" looks like it will do the trick, but I turn on V_ON and nothing happens. What the heck does "Note: ... the sound keys on the settings interface can all be controlled by the volume keys on that home appliance that is set at the last." mean?? I wonder if "voume control key on the TV" in the function description is the crucial bit I am missing, does this just punch the keys thru to the TV volume control only? I dunno, I tried a few combinations and none of them changed the behaviour of the wiz volume control at all, in every test I tried, the silly volume control would change my wiz volume in the SAT mode.

Ok, so that didn't work, lets try "7. Set/Cancel Key Transfer". I am not even going to type out Note 1, but I think this may be important, if only I knew what it was trying to say.
I am guessing the reason why my efforts to do the key transfer have proved fruitless is because of point 2 however, which is suggesting I can't transfer a key from? to? a learnt code (x999) rather than preset. This is a bit of an issue, as the wiz is a preset (2999), and of course given this remote doesn't have any audio receiver option, I have learnt my amp controls into the CD function which is 4999 after that.

I can't even work out if, because you have to choose X999 (I think?) in this process of key moving, that you have to transfer all keys as the standard pre-installed functions will no longer be valid (now presuming doing this on something where a pre-installed code does match an appliance).

Even the e.g in bold is poorly written, I presume it is meant to say "to transfer the information FROM the 6 key of SAT to the 7 key of VCR" etc.

Confused..
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:56

I have the volume control for my amp/tuner in all the modes I use. I just learnt the volume control codes from the amp into all the modes. The Sound Sharing function lets you control the volume through your TV, but that's not what I wanted.

The manual's "give a couple of examples, not say what the buttons do, let them work it out for themselves" attitude in many places is really not very helpful.

I can post more details if you like.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 00:06

Yeah, the manual isn't too helpful. Another thing the manual does is has a habit of showing what the screen would show at that point, rather than what you should be toggling the screen to. I don't care that holding down the "SET" key will bring me to the "CODE" mode first thing (well, I do, when setting a code, but not when doing any of the other settings), but it insists on showing this "CODE" option when this isn't what you choose. So your immediate urge is to follow the screen indications with OK to get to the next step, but this of course is not correct.

I think PeterU did the same thing as you Peter from my memory of a post of his, which was learn the amp volume into the main keys. But what about for a "preset" code, once you start learning, the preset is forgotten about isn't it? So that means you have to learn all buttons?
e.g. I have found a good TV preset where everything matches nicely my TV remote, but if I learn my AMP volume keys into the TV mode, then the preset will no longer be active, so I effectively have to learn every TV key now (apart from the volume) don't I? I have to wonder if I can use the keymove for this function perhaps, if only it was better explained in the manual what it was about.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 09:14

tonymy01 wrote:...
I think PeterU did the same thing as you Peter from my memory of a post of his, which was learn the amp volume into the main keys. But what about for a "preset" code, once you start learning, the preset is forgotten about isn't it? So that means you have to learn all buttons?
e.g. I have found a good TV preset where everything matches nicely my TV remote, but if I learn my AMP volume keys into the TV mode, then the preset will no longer be active, so I effectively have to learn every TV key now (apart from the volume) don't I? I have to wonder if I can use the keymove for this function perhaps, if only it was better explained in the manual what it was about.
Regards
I have devices programmed on SAT, TV, CD & VCR. I don't use the VCR much (it's turned off anyway most of the time). The SAT setting is set up like a learnt code anyway, On TV, none of the built-in codesets covered everything I wanted to use on the TV, so I used Key Transfer to get all the codes I could, then learnt the rest of what I wanted from the TV remote. The CD setting is actually used for our AM/FM receiver/amp, so it's entirely learnt. This meant that the three settings we actually normally use are in the x999 codeset, so overriding the SAT and TV VOL +/- by learning from the amp volume control was trivial. I haven't overridden VOL for the VCR.

It took a while to get it all set up exactly the way (or rather as close as possible to the way) I wanted it, much of the time sifting through the 41 code choices for the Sony TV. It probably would have been quicker to learn it, especially since I never found a perfect match and had to use Key Transfer into the learnt set anyway.

Anyway, my suggestion is to use Key Transfer to copy your TV presets into the TV learnt set, then learn the amp volume control into the TV and SAT sets, braving the dire warning on page 1 about reprogramming the SAT keys ;) Since the dire warning is followed by instructions about how to undo its consequences, I just ignored it.

I don't think there's an easier way. A Block Transfer Keys to copy the whole of a preset into the learnt memory would have been nice.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “AP-U1 Remote Control”