does remote act like the harmony

6-in-1 Universal Learning Remote Control with Macros.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

LPLATES
Apprentice

does remote act like the harmony

Post by LPLATES » Tue Jan 08, 2008 22:20

Hi everyone,Sorry if this seems like a silly question,but regarding the macro settings in the instruction book,does this remote act like the harmony in terms of turning everything on at once with one touch of the button.for example watching pvr I need the pvr to switch on,the tv to do same, and the amp switching to the right input setting.The insructions seem a little grey in this area and doesnt seem to mention much of the above.Sorry if Ihave missed something,could someone refer me to the right section or advise me how to achieve my aim.Thanks in advance.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 09, 2008 08:39

Hi Lplates,

I am not using my AP-U1 remote control but I am pretty sure that it is not task based like the Harmony units. In fact the colour buttons are the only macro enabled buttons and the colour buttons are disabled when macros are enabled.

(I am not using my AP-U1 because it doesn't have all the buttons from the normal Beyonwiz remote control. The LCD is not configurable to appropriately name devices etc. There are no spare or soft buttons for adding other commands.)

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 09:16

Hi Lplates. The AP-U1 isn't activity based. You can sequence between 6 "virtual" remote controls for individual devices. The names for the devices are fixed as Ian said. They are - SAT (dedicated to BW), TV, A/C (air conditioner), DVD, CD, VCR. The inability to rename is annoying - we have our amplifier remote codes in the 'CD' virtual remote.

You can reprogram the 4 coloured buttons (and only those buttons) to be a sequence of commands. If you do this, the coloured buttons execute the macro no matter which virtual remote you've selected, and the normal function they have is inaccessible. To switch off macros and restore the buttons to their normal function is a multi-press sequence starting with a 5-second press-and-hold. Because the coloured buttons are essential to use the Beyonwiz, I don't use the macro function. It seems to me to be rather wrong-headed design.

I did program a button to toggle power on all the devices, so it is possible (and I agree about the lack of clarity in the instructions for programming macros), but because of the way macros are implemented, I don't use this macro button.

I've posted earlier about some more grumbles I have about the AP-U1. Some of the are quite similar to Ian's complaints about the device, but we use it despite the problems. I'm not convinced that it's worth the $199 charged for it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Thu Jan 10, 2008 19:27

I haven't extensively played with the macros, but it sounds like you are saying that you can only have 4 macros, period? I would have though you could have had 4 different macros for each device.

I was planning on having some macros on an unused device and keep the regular coloured buttons for the 'PVR' device.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 19:44

Dave? wrote:I haven't extensively played with the macros, but it sounds like you are saying that you can only have 4 macros, period? I would have though you could have had 4 different macros for each device.

I was planning on having some macros on an unused device and keep the regular coloured buttons for the 'PVR' device.
As far as I can tell, four macros, period. If they're active, they're active no matter what device is selected. The macros can transmit codes for any device, independent of the device selected.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

fatsatman

harmony work all of the BR01 functions

Post by fatsatman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 22:14

i didnt really want to ask if it acts like a harmony,i can obviously see its not a great unit,,but does anyone have a harmony to let me know if it covers most every function the BR01 original)remote does? i am looking at the Harmony ONE and need to know if its going to cut it.i hate having a remote that only does half the funtions,,,im finding this atm with my trusty kameleon.
Thanks

FAT

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Tue Apr 29, 2008 23:46

I just bought a Harmony ONE and its great.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
SD Toppy 5000PVRt BP - Not Used
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

fatsatman

Post by fatsatman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 00:39

Kezza wrote:I just bought a Harmony ONE and its great.

Kezza
thanks for you reply buddy,so does it cover all the orignal remotes funtions?
eg, pop up? file playback?list? etc.

cheers
FAT

dhphoto
Apprentice

Post by dhphoto » Fri May 02, 2008 14:07

Hi FAT,

The Harmony remotes setup are via a web based/internet database. I have a Harmony 785 and purchased a Harmony 525 to go with the DP-H1 redemption. Even the low end 525 has coverage for all the BR-01 functions, it's the same database :D . In saying that, of course some are only available in the scrollable LCD (4 functions/525, 6 functions/785 on each page).

The Harmony One, therefore, would also cater for all functions. As it is fairly new on the Aussie market, it is still commanding premium purchase price vs the older models.

To give people a sample guide of pricing, the outlet I purchased from have the following pricing:

Harmony One ... $297
Harmony 785 .... $154
Harmony 525 .... $55

Any fo the above would be sufficent. The buyer would need to look at Logitech's site to decide, based on specifications and features, which model they would prefer.

Note: The online databases are note perfect. Most, do not have true discrete Power On/Off codes. If that did, I'd be very happy ...

Regards, Darren

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri May 02, 2008 14:20

fatsatman wrote:
Kezza wrote:I just bought a Harmony ONE and its great.

Kezza
thanks for you reply buddy,so does it cover all the orignal remotes funtions?
eg, pop up? file playback?list? etc.

cheers
FAT
yes it covers all original remotes functions.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

fatsatman

Post by fatsatman » Fri May 02, 2008 15:09

thanks for the info guys,got it yesterday,,alls good,,but i cant seem to get the activitys working right,,, My panasonic LCD tv doesnt have individual AV buttons and so its using next av input as the selection for the av input and keeps getting out of whack so i need to manually go through the av selection process everytime,,,but other than that,,its execellent,,,have setup favourites for Fox using some channel logos i got of the net.

FAT

Kezza
Master

Post by Kezza » Fri May 02, 2008 15:22

ring the support line they will help you out.

Kezza
? Kezza 2008

DLink Boxee Box
HD BW DP-S1 - Broken
YAMAHA RXV800
B&W LM1
Harmony ONE Uni Remote
LG 47LY3DE LCD TV

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri May 02, 2008 15:35

You can also go in and edit an activity and add actions for it to do before and after, eg I have a VCR activity that I added the codes to cycle through the aspect ratio on my TV to get to 4:3 at the start and back to 16:9 at the end. So it's similar one button/next format to your input one.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “AP-U1 Remote Control”