DP-P1 Failing to play across network and record thu LiDiC

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Jerry
Apprentice

DP-P1 Failing to play across network and record thu LiDiC

Post by Jerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 15:55

Hi Guys,
When recording payTV through the LiDiC I cannot play a file across the network. The file which normally plays fine stutters and faulters when the Dpp1 is recording through the LiDiC.

Apart from this all seems fine. I have the most recent Firmware installed and everything else appears great.

Thanks

prl
Wizard God

Re: DP-P1 Failing to play across network and record thu LiDi

Post by prl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:01

Jerry wrote:Hi Guys,
When recording payTV through the LiDiC I cannot play a file across the network. The file which normally plays fine stutters and faulters when the Dpp1 is recording through the LiDiC.

Apart from this all seems fine. I have the most recent Firmware installed and everything else appears great.

Thanks
That's unfortunately normal behaviour, though I haven't seen anyone mention this particular variant before. The Beyonwiz limits its network throughput based on what other activities are going on at the same time. This can make network playback unreliable if the server is also doing other tasks, including recording. This happens with digital recording as well as (apparently) recording from the LiDiC.

I think you meant "falters" :).
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Jerry
Apprentice

Post by Jerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:10

Thanks for the quick reply.

I find this result strange as the only network activity is the file I am playing on the P1 from a network server. I can record 2x HD digital channels and play a network file no problem. How does the LiDiC change things?

Thanks again

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:25

Jerry wrote:I can record 2x HD digital channels and play a network file no problem. How does the LiDiC change things?
LiDiC data comes over the USB bus and requires muxing (probably in software), whereas the data from tuners comes over a dedicated high speed serial bus and is already muxed. There are also hardware filters that can be used with the data coming from the tuners.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Jerry
Apprentice

Post by Jerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:30

So in short. If I want to record something using the LiDiC I have to be viewing it with the DP1 as it can't do anything else.
Quite a short coming that is never mentioned I would think.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:33

Jerry wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

I find this result strange as the only network activity is the file I am playing on the P1 from a network server. I can record 2x HD digital channels and play a network file no problem. ...
The problem is usually only apparent when playing HD over the net (I should have mentioned that). There's usually enough network bandwidth to play SD reliably no matter what the Beyonwiz server is doing. Were you playing SD or HD over the net?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Jerry
Apprentice

Post by Jerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 16:44

Recording SD payTV on Dpp1 through a LiDiC I get stuttering play of a 300mb 1hr AVI video file across a network from a PC.

When not recording through the LiDiC the file play smoothly. Recording Live HD TV does not affect the network play even 2 channels.

Anything else I can answer?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:08

Jerry wrote:Recording SD payTV on Dpp1 through a LiDiC I get stuttering play of a 300mb 1hr AVI video file across a network from a PC.

When not recording through the LiDiC the file play smoothly. Recording Live HD TV does not affect the network play even 2 channels.

Anything else I can answer?
Ah. I was assuming you were playing a recording from the DP-P1 to another Beyonwiz :oops:

The network throughput limits still apply, though normally this isn't so much of a problem when streaming to the Beyonwiz.

However, the AVI is low bitrate (0.67Mb/s), much lower than typical SD TV (~6-7Mb/s); so the issue probably isn't networking. Do you know what the resolution and encoding of the AVI is?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Jerry
Apprentice

Post by Jerry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:27

The best I can do is.
624x352
MPEG1
Xvid
2 Audio channels

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 17:37

Jerry wrote:The best I can do is.
624x352
MPEG1
Xvid
2 Audio channels
Strange. It doesn't look as though it should present any decoding or bus load problems on the Beyonwiz, either.

:?:
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 20:39

Jerry,

I have a DP-P2 with an inbuilt LiDiC and I can confirm your observation.

When the LiDiC is active there is a considerable increase in CPU usage. It seems data transfers in the core USB and the core Ethernet drivers are a real CPU hog. And the LiDiC recording thread has a high priority.

Navigating the Timer list is a good indication of CPU usage. The crappy XML library BW is using for the timer storage need lots of CPU cycles and it becomes quite sluggish when the USB or Network are working hard due to either the LiDiC or a background file copy.
_

Jerry
Apprentice

Post by Jerry » Fri Aug 07, 2009 04:46

Looks like I might be watching a bit more "PlayHouse Disney" than I have planned.

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”