LiDiC setup

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

GB
Master

LiDiC setup

Post by GB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:27

Hi all

I've just bought from DPG one of their discounted LiDiCs, and would appreciate some guidance in wiring it up. The instructions in the box aren't overly helpful. :roll:

My current config is BW connected to Denon amp via HDMI and coax, and amp connected to Fujitsu plasma via HDMI (with component backup). 5.1 speakers are connected to the amp (the plasma has no audio built in).

Say I want to connect my old VCR to the LiDiC. I understand that I have to run composite / S-video connectors from the VCR to the AV-in on the LiDiC. I also have to run a USB cable from the LiDiC to the BW (though not totally sure of the purpose).

What about the AV-out on the LiDiC? The diagram in the box has a dotted line running to the TV (perhaps suggesting it is optional?), but that is a little pointless in my scenario, at least as regards audio. So do I run the AV-out to the BW instead, and rely on the existing connections from the BW to the amp (and from the amp to the speakers and plasma)? Or something else?

Thanks!

Greg

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:37

Hi Greg,

The USB connection from the LiDiC to your Beyonwiz or PC is how the encoded video and audio data is passed.

There are two inputs on the LiDiC. You connect your VCR, say, to the input you want and then select that input from the Beyonwiz. The output connectors then become active and pass the video and audio through to any sort of monitoring device you wish to use. The idea is that you can insert the LiDiC into the current path/connections that your VCR is using now so that it can continue to work that way it always did. The LiDiC then samples/encodes the signal and makes it available via the Beyonwiz as well.

I hope this makes sense for you.

Regards,
Ian.

GB
Master

Post by GB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05

Thanks Ian. That does make sense. So I take it that if I am only interested in running the VCR via the BW then all I need to do is hook it up to the AV-in on the LiDiC and the LiDiC to the BW via the USB, and ignore the AV-out.

Greg

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jul 17, 2008 14:17

Hi Greg,
GB wrote:Thanks Ian. That does make sense. So I take it that if I am only interested in running the VCR via the BW then all I need to do is hook it up to the AV-in on the LiDiC and the LiDiC to the BW via the USB, and ignore the AV-out.
Correct! :)

Regards,
Ian.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:57

I'm currently updating the BW user manual, and I have a question:

In Set-Up -> Config -> LiDiC, there are two options for "Display" - Full and Centre. Could somebody who has a LiDiC please explain the difference between these two settings?

tldaley
Apprentice

Post by tldaley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 22:42

Hi,
madmax wrote:I'm currently updating the BW user manual, and I have a question:

In Set-Up -> Config -> LiDiC, there are two options for "Display" - Full and Centre. Could somebody who has a LiDiC please explain the difference between these two settings?
The theory is....

Full = 16:9
Centre = 4:3

I am yet to check if the aspect ratio problem is fixed with the latest firmware.

Ciao,
Trev Daley.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:49

tldaley wrote: The theory is....

Full = 16:9
Centre = 4:3

I am yet to check if the aspect ratio problem is fixed with the latest firmware.
You mean it records the incoming video as either 16:9 or 4:3? Which would mean you have to set it to match the aspect ratio of the output of the external device? What happens if you have two connected devices, one being 16:9 and the other 4:3?

Sorry but I think you'll have to explain it a bit more for me....... :oops:

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Tue Sep 02, 2008 20:45

I'm sure the 'Display = Full / Centre' option is asking about the display device - not the input device. Like you said, there are 2 inputs but only 1 display setting.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Tue Sep 02, 2008 20:52

Dave? wrote:I'm sure the 'Display = Full / Centre' option is asking about the display device - not the input device. Like you said, there are 2 inputs but only 1 display setting.
But then isn't this covered by the "TV Aspect Ratio" setting in "A/V Output"? :?:

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 20:54

"centre" doesn't mean anything about a screen size to me? Is this yet another thing that needs to be translated better?
Tony

buggosplat
Apprentice

Post by buggosplat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:16

Having problems with seting up the lidic through s-video on the foxtel box,
tried composite cables and s-cart to composite and both these work fine

When using s-cart to s-video and change the lidic setup in the menu to s-video i can't get a picture, any ideas?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:24

Did you setup the Foxtel output to SVIDEO also? If you used a scart to svideo cable, be careful about cable direction, as svideo (and audio) is directional in scart cables. You are best to use one of those scart adapters with the in/out switch on them, set it to "out". Also you have to be careful which port you connect to on the fox box. Some box models only support svideo out the TV-SCART. The VCR-SCART is typically with most dual scart boxes only composite output (to connect, for example, a VCR derr).
Regards
Tony

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Sep 22, 2008 13:33

tonymy01 wrote:"centre" doesn't mean anything about a screen size to me? Is this yet another thing that needs to be translated better?
This capture from a widescreen movie on DVD had a LiDiC setting "Full" The connection was by composite. The file is 32MB

http://rapidshare.com/files/146818925/L ... st.ts.html
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

buggosplat
Apprentice

Post by buggosplat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 15:53

forgot to change the output in foxtel, changed it s-video and tried both s-cart ports still didn't work,
just bought an adapter off ebay and will try that when i receive it

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 16:03

ebay? Why? You can get the in/out adapter from a number of places, BigW, Jaycar, Dick Smiths, typical price between about $8 and about $15. You plug your audio and svideo cable into the adapter (you should have a few of these lying around anyway).
Regards
Tony

buggosplat
Apprentice

Post by buggosplat » Mon Sep 22, 2008 16:14

yeah i know, hung over from yesterday not in the mood to go shopping (i'm being lazy) searched through all the bits and pieces i have and no adapter to be found, every thing else except what i need.
Its not critcal at the moment that i get it working, its just that it really bugs me that it doesn't work

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”