Will the LiDic do this ?

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

np
Master

Will the LiDic do this ?

Post by np » Mon Jul 14, 2008 15:39

I have a panasonic NV-GS5 DV camera which once worked on my pc, but for some reason I cannot get it going on Vista or XP to convert my DV tape recording to AVI or whatever.

So, I am thinking of purchasing a LiDic which I am hoping I can simply connect the component cable to the lidic (which is connected to my BW) and then it will record the file which I can open in VideoRedo and create an MPG.

Will this work easily ? or do I have to muck around ?

also, is there anything else I should know ?

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Jul 14, 2008 15:53

I suspect you will be doing a lot of "mucking about" read some of the early posts on the aspect ratio problems with LiDiC. I would do a google search on solutions for your camera using Vista (which version? ( Home, Business or Ultimate) and XP. I would post on one of the video usenet groups like rec.video or http://www.videoforums.co.uk/ then again maybe someone here might have a solution.

At the present time with the current firmware using an external 2 input LiDiC connected to a S1 or P1 the resulting capture from say a 4:3 source is 5:4 (also from a DVD wide screen aspect ratio capture is squashed) and requires some post production adjustment - easy enough to do if you have TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress or similar editing packages. I hope this problem will be addressed soon.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 16:27

The LiDiC has composite and S-Video input only.
Tony

np
Master

Post by np » Mon Jul 14, 2008 16:40

tonymy01 wrote:The LiDiC has composite and S-Video input only.
Maybe I meant composite. I take it its the yellow, red and white plugs !

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 16:50

np wrote:
tonymy01 wrote:The LiDiC has composite and S-Video input only.
Maybe I meant composite. I take it its the yellow, red and white plugs !
Yellow is composite video; while white (left/mono) and red (right) are audio.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Re: Will the LiDic do this ?

Post by BJ Boy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 16:56

np wrote:I have a panasonic NV-GS5 DV camera which once worked on my pc, but for some reason I cannot get it going on Vista or XP to convert my DV tape recording to AVI or whatever.

So, I am thinking of purchasing a LiDic which I am hoping I can simply connect the component cable to the lidic (which is connected to my BW) and then it will record the file which I can open in VideoRedo and create an MPG.

Will this work easily ? or do I have to muck around ?

also, is there anything else I should know ?
Are you saying that the firewire (IEEE 1394) connection is not working? What happens when you connect to the computer?
Cheers, BJ Boy.

np
Master

Post by np » Mon Jul 14, 2008 16:57

Yes, I have tried both Firewire and USB and neither of them are getting picked up by Vista or XP.

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 17:06

np wrote:Yes, I have tried both Firewire and USB and neither of them are getting picked up by Vista or XP.
So you connect them & switch the cam to play mode? What 'capture' software have you got on the computer?
Cheers, BJ Boy.

np
Master

Post by np » Mon Jul 14, 2008 20:06

BJ Boy wrote:So you connect them & switch the cam to play mode?

Yes
What 'capture' software have you got on the computer?
I have tried both Windows Movie Maker and Adobe Premiere. I am thinking it is an operating system issue more than a "capture" software issue, but I am no expert.

I was thinking whether another option would be to use my Video In on the TV card on the PC to capture the video, but I have no idea on what software I can use to capture from Video In. I have tried Vista Media Center, but cant seem to find the option to select Video In as the channel.

I am using Vista Home Premium

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 20:44

np wrote:
BJ Boy wrote:So you connect them & switch the cam to play mode?

Yes
What 'capture' software have you got on the computer?
I have tried both Windows Movie Maker and Adobe Premiere. I am thinking it is an operating system issue more than a "capture" software issue, but I am no expert.

I was thinking whether another option would be to use my Video In on the TV card on the PC to capture the video, but I have no idea on what software I can use to capture from Video In. I have tried Vista Media Center, but cant seem to find the option to select Video In as the channel.

I am using Vista Home Premium
I'm using Vista Basic SP1 & have no difficulty in grabbing the video via Firewire using Sony Vegas Pro8. I don't see that it can be an OS problem.

As to importing the video via composite in I would avoid that if at all possible...the quality is not nearly as good as a firewire transfer which is pretty much perfect. As I don't use Adobe I can't say what to do with that. You might try d/l vegas demo & try the capture software in that.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio

Oh, also check the adobe manual. In Vegas8, there are 2 importing programs, an external one & an internal one. The int one is the only one that works for my hidef stuff but the other one was what I used for SD DV. Please note that the URL is for the basic Vegas version.
Cheers, BJ Boy.

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”