LiDiC Advice wanted: to buy or not to buy?

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

javaboy
Apprentice

LiDiC Advice wanted: to buy or not to buy?

Post by javaboy » Fri May 09, 2008 13:09

Hi All
Was hoping for some advice on the LIDIC... ie someone to make my mind up for me!

I have a DP-P1 and itching to pick something up from the Beyonwiz Redemption http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/redemption_offer.asp offer that is currently running; I don't
need a Universal remote (I already have a Harmony) and I don't need another STB (don't have anywhere to put it).... so was thinking of spending some of my hard-earned on the LIDIC.

I have Foxtel at home and I do have some wedding VHS's which would be nice to digitalise. Now with Foxtel, I hardly need to tape anything (Foxtel has more than enough repeats, believe me!) but may do say once every 6 months and the wedding video conversion thing would be quite good to be able to do as I will need to get that done anyway some time. Assuming that I can plug a VCR into this and 'record' this via my DP-P1?

Questions
1) Can I digitise my wedding video this way?
2) And... if you were me, would you buy the LIDIC (warts and all) for $149 + $25 postage?

Thanks in advance. :-)

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Re: LiDiC Advice wanted: to buy or not to buy?

Post by BJ Boy » Fri May 09, 2008 14:25

javaboy wrote:Hi All
Was hoping for some advice on the LIDIC... ie someone to make my mind up for me!

I have a DP-P1 and itching to pick something up from the Beyonwiz Redemption http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/redemption_offer.asp offer that is currently running; I don't
need a Universal remote (I already have a Harmony) and I don't need another STB (don't have anywhere to put it).... so was thinking of spending some of my hard-earned on the LIDIC.

I have Foxtel at home and I do have some wedding VHS's which would be nice to digitalise. Now with Foxtel, I hardly need to tape anything (Foxtel has more than enough repeats, believe me!) but may do say once every 6 months and the wedding video conversion thing would be quite good to be able to do as I will need to get that done anyway some time. Assuming that I can plug a VCR into this and 'record' this via my DP-P1?

Questions
1) Can I digitise my wedding video this way?
2) And... if you were me, would you buy the LIDIC (warts and all) for $149 + $25 postage?

Thanks in advance. :-)
1) Yes.
2) No. Currently there is no point as you would 'ruin' your wedding video...unless you like looking thinner :) , or if you don't mind a gamble, i.e. future fix coming...
Cheers, BJ Boy.

javaboy
Apprentice

Post by javaboy » Fri May 09, 2008 14:44

thanks BJ Boy.

mmmm.... thinnner.

So the 'fix' would just be a firmware upgrade? ...meaning I could take advantage of the cheaper price of the redemption offer now and buy it, and then just upgrade the f/w if/when the fix is out? ... and then digitise my wedding video?

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri May 09, 2008 16:03

If you are prepared to do a bit of "post-production" you can correct the aspect error problem quite easily in TMPGenc 4.0 Xpress. When you load a LiDIC file into the program it shows a small video window that is clearly 5:4 and the drop down menu is set at square pixels. All that is necessary is to select the correct aspect ratio say PAL 4:3 and then encode the file out as a PAL MPEG2 file. You may also need to install FFDShow depending on what codecs you have installed on your PC.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Fri May 09, 2008 17:10

javaboy wrote:thanks BJ Boy.

mmmm.... thinnner.

So the 'fix' would just be a firmware upgrade? ...meaning I could take advantage of the cheaper price of the redemption offer now and buy it, and then just upgrade the f/w if/when the fix is out? ... and then digitise my wedding video?
That's the theory! You can do as netmask says also. I guess it depends on your dedication. I'm quite able to do these 'post production' fixes but it annoys me, as the 'mask' already knows :lol: .
Cheers, BJ Boy.

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”