LidiC sound though to amp passthrough or 5.1 on S1?

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

kilo140

LidiC sound though to amp passthrough or 5.1 on S1?

Post by kilo140 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 22:24

I have a LiDiC connected to my DP-S1 and one of the analog ports attached to a foxtel 1000 STB (just ditched my IQ platinum - subscription .vs. usage ratio not good - I must be getting a life :-)

I have a yamaha rxv2400 am and use digital audio connection. The recommendations elsewhere onthe forum suggest passthrough for optimal 5.1 from OTA sources.

I find that there is no audio when set to passthrough when the source is a LiDiC, and I have to set the S1 to 5.1 instead to hear the LiDiC sound.

Is there an optimal setting for both, or is it either or for me now?

Not sure what I may lose if I stay 5.1 permanently. It would be nice to have a LiDiC specific setting to generate 5.1 equivalent stereo, and OTA tuners still be able to be passthrough. Maybe I have missed something.

thanks for any tips,

Phil

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Feb 28, 2008 23:52

Hi Phil,

The LiDiC is not capable of creating DD5.1/AC3 audio from a stereo source. You will need to adjust your audio settings to cope with the plain stereo that comes from the LiDiC.

Regards,
Ian.

kilo140

Post by kilo140 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 00:22

Thanks for the reply Ian. I would just like to clarify a point I may not have been to clear on. (and this may not be much of a clarification either :-))

I used to use S1 passthrough as everyone recommended that for the digital sound connection to the yamaha amp when the FTA source was AC3/5.1. I thought this had something to do with being decoded and recoded in the S1 and ability to adjust S1 volume if you set audio to 5.1 instead.

I am assuming (possibly wrongly) that because I only have a digital connection to my amplifier for audio, that the two analog stereo channels from the LiDiC get converted to a digital stream in the S1 and out of my single digital connection to the amplifier. (as a stereo digital stream - I was not expecting synthesis of 5.1DD etc).

So it looks like if you have a LidiC you cannot use passthrough setting on the S1 for the FTA Digital audio as you need to set the S1 to 5.1 (not passthrough) to generate a digital stereo stream to the amp from the LiDiC analog stereo sources. Passthrough setting doesn't generate the digital stream to the amp for LiDiC sources, there is no sound.

If there were obvious benefits to using passthrough setting on FTA sources compared to 5.1 setting then you would need to keep going into the S1 setup and swapping passthrough/5.1 depending on if you watched FTA DD or a LiDiC source. That would be frustrating.

In the meantime I have left my S1 set to 5.1 as I get sound from FTA and LiDiC and the amplifier seems happy either way. I'll need to look closer at the amp display when watching a FTA AC3/DD 5.1 content sometime and make sure it is playing multichannel since I thought the passthrough recommendation was based on better chance of the amp recognizing the digital stream as multichannel.

regards,

Phil

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 00:23

Yeah, but Ian, I would expect the Wiz to modulate the audio to PCM stereo which works fine on optical, but Phil seems to be suggesting that he gets no audio in passthrough mode (but does in 5.1). Hmm, those who have examined the LIDIC audio stream in the saved file, what is it exactly? This may be another case of "the audio stream is there on the SPDIF, but the amp doesn't have the capability to decode it because it is AAC/MP3/whatever". Just like most amps don't decode MPEG-1_layer2 audio (default for SD) so Beyonwiz answered everyones plea's a long time ago now and decoded MPEG audio to PCM for SPDIF. I think they should offer to decode any stereo source (apart from AC3) to PCM for SPDIF so we don't keep having to change from passthrough to 2/5.1! Maybe have 4 or 5 options like 99% of DVD players have to support the downmixing and/or decoding of various different standards.
Regards
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Feb 29, 2008 08:24

Hi Tony,

You used different words but you said, and explained, what I was thinking.

To solve these issues either Beyonwiz is going to have to expand on the transcoding options available for the passthrough outputs, or amplifiers will have to be chosen that support a wide range of digital audio input formats.

Regards,
Ian.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:51

I have the optical output of the BW connected to my SONY amp for most listening along with the rca's stereo output. This solves the problem for me when playing back a LiDIC file. The BW is set on passthru
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”