Recording Pay TV (Austar)

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

armiller45
Apprentice

Recording Pay TV (Austar)

Post by armiller45 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:52

As I'm still in the process of setting up and learning what works best, I'd like some feedback on recording Pay TV (Austar).

The quality of Pay TV when viewed directly on the LCD is quite good but varies obviously with what is being broadcast (S-Video connector).

However when viewing (and recording) Pay TV via LiDiC and BW, there is quite a noticeable degradation in quality. As I'm using a composite connection, I'm wondering if someone can tell me whether S-Video would provide a significant improvement - with the LiDiC they are the only two options I have (I think).

With S-Video, is it possible to get an S-Video "double adaptor" or does option also result in quality degradation?

Does the LiDiC/BW determine automatically what the recording resolution will be based on the input?
BW DP P1 + LiDiC
BW to Sony LCD Bravia X via HDMI
Austar to LiDiC via S-Video
Intel iMac: 2 GHz/Core 2 Duo/1 GB Ram/Mac OS X 10.4

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Feb 19, 2008 13:38

S-Video is at least twice as good as composite. Composite really is an awful way of connecting video signal.

There are no passive S-Video "double adaptors" that would work properly. You can get amplified video splitters / switchers that would do the trick.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 19, 2008 13:53

Hi Armiller45,

Can you describe the degradation in quality? On the LiDiC I got for a friend I noticed that the brightness/gamma of the image was off (too bright). I believe that this is an issue with the LiDiC firmware and may not be related to the source signal. Perhaps your issue may also not be related to the source.

Regards,
Ian.

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 14:08

Ian, the degradation is basically in the quality of the image - like bad VHS (blurred).
BW DP P1 + LiDiC

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Feb 19, 2008 14:19

Hi Armiller45,
armiller45 wrote:Ian, the degradation is basically in the quality of the image - like bad VHS (blurred).
I didn't notice that in my tests, though when the image flared (due to the brightness issue) the flare areas were blurred.

Can you test the input with a S-Video version of the signal? Also, give the other input a try in case the issue is actually a hardware problem.

Let us know if you can find any pattern or reasoning for the problem.

Regards,
Ian.

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 20:35

Ian, will try the S-video and the LiDiC 2 inputs and let you know the result.

Thanks for your help.
BW DP P1 + LiDiC

armiller45
Apprentice

Post by armiller45 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 08:34

The Composite connection was obviously the problem. S-Video via LiDiC is the same standard as I was getting with a direct connection to the TV.

Now all I need is to find an amplified S-Video splitter.
BW DP P1 + LiDiC

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 15:16

IanSav wrote:Hi Armiller45,
armiller45 wrote:Ian, the degradation is basically in the quality of the image - like bad VHS (blurred).
I didn't notice that in my tests, though when the image flared (due to the brightness issue) the flare areas were blurred.
Can you test the input with a S-Video version of the signal? Also, give the other input a try in case the issue is actually a hardware problem.
Let us know if you can find any pattern or reasoning for the problem.
Ian, I have much the same degradation from my VHS tapes. Unfortunately my cassette player does not have S-video output. I just checked another cassette player and it does not have S-video. I do have a cassette/dvd played that does but it is more fiddly to use. However, I will give it a try.

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”