AP-E1 - what do you do with the files

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Mon Feb 04, 2008 21:15

Ok, the LiDiC tvwiz files play perfectly on the BW via the network. But the WizFX converted ts files do not play at all.
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

j s
Master

Post by j s » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:42

Dave? wrote:Ok, the LiDiC tvwiz files play perfectly on the BW via the network. But the WizFX converted ts files do not play at all.
Maybe WizFX doesn't understand mpeg4 yet?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 13:20

That isn't actually the case. ANY Wiz recordings transferred as TS by the WizFX client cannot be played back on the Wiz.
Regards
Tony

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Thu Feb 21, 2008 14:16

tonymy01 wrote:That isn't actually the case. ANY Wiz recordings transferred as TS by the WizFX client cannot be played back on the Wiz.
Regards
First case: BW originated.
Not unless the TS file originated file is converted to TS using MPEGStreamclip then that fixed TS file will play over the network.

Second case: LiDiC originated.
In the case of the LiDiC TS files the only conversion program I've found is TMPGenc Express.

So my state of play is I can play any fixed TS files over my network but not LiDiC MP4 TS files unless I've converted them via TMPGencExpress to an acceptable format like MPEG or AVI or TS etc.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Sat Apr 26, 2008 23:19

Hi All
I have been considering one of these units. After reading all posts I am now unsure.
However here is some info I have gleaned:
The chipset native pixel resolution is 720 x 576 in PAL . Hence the 1.25 (5/4) ratio.
This cannot be simply rescaled to a 4:3 screen
TV display pixels are 'rectangular', but when they are stored after conversion to digital by the chipset they become 'square'. To be displayed in the correct aspect ratio the displaying device will need to compensate for/reverse this effect.
This post provided some interesting reading:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30495
If I understand this correctly, depending on the display device, some sort of correction/compensation will be required in the system when moving between the storage system and display.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Apr 27, 2008 09:15

And another link going into detail of the history may be found at

http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/con ... connection

and here

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/captur ... indow.html
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:54

Ian I have now installed WizDR on my PC and have done a capture via my VHS machine playing a commercial release tape and can report the same phenomena. Listed is MediaInfo from the LiDiC PC capture

General #0
Complete name : G:\TMPGencFiles\testTS_LiDiC_PC_capture.mpg
Format : MPEG-4 Transport
Format/Family : MPEG-4
File size : 20.5 MiB
PlayTime : 59s 159ms
Bit rate : 2900 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Info : MPEG-4 AVC
Codec profile : Main@L3.0
PlayTime : 59s 159ms
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Aspect ratio : 5/4
Standard : PAL
Language : English
PixelAspectRatio : 1.000
DisplayAspectRatio : 1.250

Audio #0
Codec : AAC
Codec/Family : AAC
Video0 delay : -95ms
Language : English

Quite clearly a square image as viewed on the PC running Media Player Classic and others. The following is the log after running the file through TMPGenc which automatically recognised the file as 5/4. Manually changed to 4/3 and the picture then displayed correctly.

General #0
Complete name : G:\TMPGencFiles\testTS_aspectratio_corrected.mpg
Format : MPEG-2 Program
Format/Family : MPEG-2
File size : 67.5 MiB
PlayTime : 59s 443ms
Bit rate : 9528 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : MPEG-2 Video
Codec profile : Main@Main
Codec settings/Matri : Custom
PlayTime : 59s 240ms
Bit rate : 9200 Kbps
Bit rate mode : CBR
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Aspect ratio : 4/3
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.887

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
PlayTime : 59s 264ms
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Bit rate mode : CBR
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48 KHz

Summary - even connected to a PC a correction is needed to restore aspect ratio in contrast to my Dvico (also USB) MPEG capture device that can capture in either TS or native MPEG format presents a true 4:3 or 16:9 image as selected in the pre-capture software. Similar results are obtained when the capture facility in the internal Dvico HDTV card is invoked the same with my Pinnacle MPEG capture card.

So that is the state of play - I agree with the sentiments of Grunta that having the firmware updated within the BeyonWiz firmware is going to severely limit the 'wriggle room' of memory and it's a pity that any updates to the LiDIC were not designed to be within the hardware of the LiDiC - them's the breaks.. :(

PS I can make the test files available. They are about 70MB. I would be happy to burn them to CD and post them if necessary - currently my upload/download capacity is limited for the next few weeks, so I cannot upload to a site...
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:28

Hi Netmask,

Let me discuss this with my technical advisor and I will get back to you.

Regards,
Ian.

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Sun Apr 27, 2008 14:01

further to what is going on with coding & decoding plus suggested solutions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... rames.aspx

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sun Apr 27, 2008 15:51

Well this has to be implemented withing the Linux operating system on the Beyonwiz. i have read a few good reviews of a Linux editing program http://www.heroinewarrior.com/heroinevirtual.php3

So I might set up a Linux box and try it out - should be cheaper than Apples Final Cut Studio :D
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Apr 27, 2008 18:02

Hi Netmask,

My friend got back to me and agrees with your observation. While the resolution is correct there is an issue that the SAR (Sample Aspect Ratio) is not correctly provided. This should be specified as per the appropraie H.264 RFC.

I will post the appropraite details and a pointer to this thread with Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.

pandem
Apprentice

What to do with the LiDic Files

Post by pandem » Fri May 16, 2008 19:16

I purchased the LiDic to copy the contents of personal VHS tapes and I was surprised that a simple process of converting files off the Wiz would have worked. I should have guessed that that assumption would have been wrong.
I use WizFx to get the files on to my PC in TS format, and then VideoRedo is used to edit and finally produce mpg files for coping onto DVD/CD. The files produced by the Wiz when using the LiDic as a source are in the format H.264. This format is ?similar? to Mpeg4. This is the issue as VideoRedo is unaware of H.264 format.
Other contributors to this forum suggest that here is only one way of doing this but there is an application called MediaCoder that will do the conversion.
So to convert from the wiz h.264 format to something that VideoRedo can process you will need the following.
The converter application is called MediaCoder and it can be found on SourceForge.
? MediaCoder
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

? MediaCoder Additional - Highly recommended
MediaCoder Update (upgrade existing MediaCoder installation with minimum download)
Extra Codecs Pack (install to decode some extra formats)
Optimization Packs (optimized binaries for specific processors)

? Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
MediaCoder requires it for rendering and it tends to insist about it.

? You may need to find other encoders for Audio but MediaCoder will prompt you for them.

? As for the operation of MediaCoder I cannot provide much information except try it and see.
Doing the conversions is fairly straight forward but I would suggest the MediaCoder forum is a good place to start. You will learn all about different video/audio formats in the process

Things I have found in using the LiDic are
? Place the DP-S1 into standby when connecting the LiDic. I have found the DP-S1 will hang and it will try your patience.

? There is a time delay in the digital stream from the LiDic.
If you?re not aware of this it can cause some frustration.

? I?m using firmware 232 but would assume 235 works

? Convert from VHS tape to -> Wiz and then to another format is not a good thing to do.
The quality is not very good. I have only tried H.264 to mpeg2 and it sucks.
The Wiz DVD can read the H.264 format so save to a DVD in that format.

As the quality of the converted file is not the best, triming the file on the Wiz should work of course so I guess that is a form of editing.
I will leave the file in H.264 format on a DVD til I figure out what to do next.

Pandem

BP3
Master

Post by BP3 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 16:28

I've tried using various video format convertors to play LiDiC files on my PC. The output is all poor quality, and I get an error message "windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working"

I hope Beyonwiz can work out something to improve the quality and usability of the output, otherwise the AP-E1 is rather useless.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Jun 01, 2008 19:17

Hi BP3,
BP3 wrote:I've tried using various video format convertors to play LiDiC files on my PC. The output is all poor quality, and I get an error message "windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working"

I hope Beyonwiz can work out something to improve the quality and usability of the output, otherwise the AP-E1 is rather useless.
Why would Beyonwiz be involved in fixing codec and system errors on your PC?

Regards,
Ian.

BP3
Master

Post by BP3 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 20:55

IanSav wrote:Why would Beyonwiz be involved in fixing codec and system errors on your PC?

Regards,
Ian.
Maybe I wrongly assumed that files produced by LiDiC and transferred to a PC would be as easy to read as those recorded normally on a P1 or S1.
Also, when I try to play these files on my H1 via the network directly from my P1 they don't work very well (skip and have intermittent sound). So its not just an issue for transfer to PC.
The info on the LiDiC implies you can use it to convert analogue files and transfer them to your PC via a P1 or S1. Without being an expert on video file formats it is reasonable that one would expect them to behave the same once recorded on a P1 or S1.

Anyway - I've seen reference to a download that allows the LiDiC to be read directly on a PC. Where do I find that.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

pandem
Apprentice

What to do with the files..

Post by pandem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 00:55

I have been able to view the LiDic files on my PC without much trouble using VLC.
I'm also a bit guarded when I say that as VLC does crash once in a while.
Viewing them on a PC is nice but what I wanted to do was to burn them on to a DVD, then then WIZ will play them without touch the structure of the video file.

I have now found that using MediaCoder its is possible to convert from H.264 to produce mpeg2 files that can be edited on VideoRedo.
On the mediaCoder you need to use the Extensions -> Disc Player -> MPEG. Once you are there you can select the different flaours of MPEG for VCD or DVD.
So far the best results I have found are using
Format = MPEG2
Bitrate = DVD - 5Mbps,
Resolution = original
rest left as defaults

So far so good and my wife now thinks it was a good idea getting the Lidic as she can view the videos of our kids on DVD. Sure beats tape for stepping through the file.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:32

Hi BP3,
BP3 wrote:Maybe I wrongly assumed that files produced by LiDiC and transferred to a PC would be as easy to read as those recorded normally on a P1 or S1.
The files recorded by the Beyonwiz from the TV stations are simply MPEG files (as transmitted). The LiDiC captures are in H.264 format.
BP3 wrote:Anyway - I've seen reference to a download that allows the LiDiC to be read directly on a PC. Where do I find that.
Look for the WizDR source tools in http://www.beyonwiz.com/support/download.php

Regards,
Ian.

BP3
Master

Re: What to do with the files..

Post by BP3 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:47

Hi pandem,
pandem wrote: On the mediaCoder you need to use the Extensions -> Disc Player -> MPEG. Once you .
Thanks for the help. I went to the MediaCentre site and downloaded the free version (Prism). I can't find that option. - Is that option in that version or the full version.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

BP3
Master

Re: What to do with the files..

Post by BP3 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 22:08

BP3 wrote:Hi pandem,
pandem wrote: On the mediaCoder you need to use the Extensions -> Disc Player -> MPEG. Once you .
Thanks for the help. I went to the MediaCentre site and downloaded the free version (Prism). I can't find that option. - Is that option in that version or the full version.
OK - I found Media Coder now. Don't know how I got prism off the site. The site is a bit difficult to follow.
DP-P2
T3-500
U4-1TB

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”