AP-E1 - squeezes Foxtel

Line-in Digital Converter. Record and timeshift Satellite, VCR, DVD etc.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

smeg888
Master

AP-E1 - squeezes Foxtel

Post by smeg888 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 09:04

Just got the LiDiC going. Seems to work fine, pause live TV etc record - very clever.

First trap for young players was you have to enable the LiDiC in the new menu option.

A couple of thing I noticed straight away, running Foxtel in via composite -

- the colour is a bit washed out, but not a real worry

- running in video full mode (one of the LiDic options), on a 16:9 display the picture is squeezed in by about 5% on each side. Giving a black bar on each side and very thin looking people. The other video option "centre" seems to squeeze a 16:9 display down to a centred 4:3 - totally useless I would have thought.

Even thought the squeezing is livable, it will certainly be annoying.

Interested in the thoughts of others. Have I done something wrong

regards

Smeg

Update - tried with S-Video and it's the same. Measured it and it's 25mm off each side on a 1180mm screen - that's a 4% squeeze, not much on widescreen but on a 4:3 picture it looks almost square - even Homer looked thin!

craigh
Wizard

Post by craigh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 14:55

Have you been able to test on any other video sources to see if its an issue with all inputs eg vcr , TV out on display etc
Craig
T4 + Kodi + Foxtel IQ2 > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Panasonic Plasma
T2 + Kodi Player > Pioneer Plasma
5 x Kodi + Enigma Plugin > LCD TV's
Retired - S1, P1, P1, FLV1, H1, H1
Foxtel IQ3 > Digi-MOD RL-DM1102 - SD DTV RF Modulator > All TV's
Remotes - Pronto TSU9400's + TSU7500's

j s
Master

Re: AP-E1 - squeezes Foxtel

Post by j s » Fri Jan 25, 2008 15:19

smeg888 wrote:JThe other video option "centre" seems to squeeze a 16:9 display down to a centred 4:3 - totally useless I would have thought.
Wouldn't that be for viewing 4:3 sources on your 16:9 screen - like good old analogue FTA?

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri Jan 25, 2008 15:27

Currently dubbing from VHS "Quatermass and the Pit" (5 Million Miles To Earth) shot with an aspect ratio of 1.66 but I'm not sure from memory if the VHS is just plain vanilla 4:3. However through the LiDiC it is almost a square aspect ratio when centre cut is selected and squashed in 'full'. Nothing I can't fix in Womble. Probably uses PAR Square instead or 4/3 or 9/16 ? I will let it run it's 97 minutes and then transfer it and see what happens. But for anyone playing back on the BW it is definitely wrong. I don't have Foxtel but maybe the Foxtel box has an aspect ratio setting? or maybe a screen size setting, if so I would try 4:3. My VHS ( an Aldi Medion) doesn't have a screen size setting. If the APE is capable of a firmware update I would definitely look at providing a settings menu.

One other thing I'm not sure if it is my imagination or just a lesser quality video on HD TEN but since I updated the firmware to recognise the APE, TEN HD seems a little fuzzy ( I promise I haven't opened the scotch just yet...) :D

PS. Just did a measurement of the image on my Samsung and the width is 615mm x 500mm which gives an aspect ratio of 1.23 instead of 1.33 (using centre cut setting)
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

smeg888
Master

Post by smeg888 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:33

craigh wrote:Have you been able to test on any other video sources to see if its an issue with all inputs eg vcr , TV out on display etc
Tried with a DVD player and got the same effect. Strangely the gap was larger on the right side than the left??

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:07

Checked the transferred TS file and this time MPEGStreamclip really wouldn't play it so I couldn't replace the header. However the file aspect ratio is reported as 5/4 so it probably does have a PAR = square. WinAVI converted it but without sound :(

General #0
Complete name : G:\beyonwiz\5MillionMiles.ts
Format : MPEG-4 Transport
Format/Family : MPEG-4
File size : 1.94 GiB
PlayTime : 1h 35mn
Bit rate : 2920 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : AVC
Codec/Info : MPEG-4 AVC
Codec profile : Main@L3.0
PlayTime : 1h 35mn
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Aspect ratio : 5/4
Standard : PAL
Language : English
PixelAspectRatio : 1.000
DisplayAspectRatio : 1.250

Audio #0
Codec : AAC
Codec/Family : AAC
Video0 delay : 4mn 12s
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:59

Bump.

Any news on this 'squeezing' problem yet? It is annoying & I would have expected a fix by now. I've had the unit for 7 weeks.

How it ever got released like that is beyond (no pun intended) me :( .
Cheers, BJ Boy.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Thu Mar 27, 2008 15:28

Suggest you convert and correct the file as I outlined in previous posts - my guess is it will take a long time before this problem is fixed. :)

You will need TMPGenc from version 3 onwards - just convert to mpeg.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 09:40

netmask wrote:Suggest you convert and correct the file as I outlined in previous posts - my guess is it will take a long time before this problem is fixed. :)

You will need TMPGenc from version 3 onwards - just convert to mpeg.
Thanks. I just don't think I should have to fix something that I bought new :roll: .
Cheers, BJ Boy.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Mon Mar 31, 2008 16:17

I think, but I don't know for sure, it has been designed to accept a video source that is presenting a true 16:9 frame. I don't have Foxtel but when I was setting up a mates Samsung LCD and connected Foxtel to it, it was impossible to get an undistorted aspect ratio picture. The Foxel had "centre cut, letterbox or 14:9" none of which allowed the Samsung to present a true and correct full screen 16:9 image. The only way to get it working in an acceptable way was to turn the Samsung input to 4:3 and then within this frame the aspect ratio was correct. My friend is a professional artist and video editor so aspect ratio is far more important than filling every available part of the LCD canvas. So all of this points to Foxtel presenting a 4:3 frame hence the problem LiDiC has. It is the same effect when you connect a VHS machine, also a native 4:3 device. TMPGenc confirms this when analysing the file.

I'm trying to borrow a piece of OB video hardware MPEG equipment that pillarboxes a VHS signal into a true 16:9 frame and then seeing what that does when presented to the LiDiC - my bet is it will be spot on. So unless the LiDiC can be designed so as to be able to switch between a true 4:3 or 16:9 input the only solution is a "post-production" one.

PS Another friend has tried Foxtel ( a different style box ) on a SONY Bravia with the same result.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 09:01

[quote="netmask"]it was impossible to get an undistorted aspect ratio picture. The Foxel had "centre cut, letterbox or 14:9" none of which allowed the Samsung to present a true and correct full screen 16:9 image. The only way to get it working in an acceptable way was to turn the Samsung input to 4:3 and then within this frame the aspect ratio was correct. quote]

Forgive the snipping, please, and my 'making bold' :) . From the blurb...

Attaching a LiDiC to the Beyonwiz PVR now offers a "complete solution"

An effort is required from Beyonwiz, IMHO.
Cheers, BJ Boy.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:49

I agree with you entirely and my early review of the unit I said it wasn't ready for the market except for people who enjoyed problem solving.

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 9622#19622

I don't believe it was ever beta tested in a real world environment with typical equipment like VHS machines etc. However I do enjoy problem solving and mucking about with file conversions so for me it's a useful added tool. Hopefully sometime in the future a fix will come out in the meantime BW should change their advertising and blurb about it.

A useful tool for a home hardware designer would be a cheap hardware MPEG conversion device that would take any 4:3 material and pillabox it in a 16:9 frame. The unit I'm trying to get hold of for a loan is worth $16K but does a whole lot more.

Maybe you should return your unit until a proper fix comes out.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:27

netmask wrote:Maybe you should return your unit until a proper fix comes out.
I'm actually with you as per your original post...

<Even though the squeezing is livable, it will certainly be annoying. >

Without too much ranting, I think these guys are trying to do too much. My DP-S1 is a disappointment to me considering the original blurb...but I'm still using it :) . I just have to back up with my Homecast PVR :roll: .
Cheers, BJ Boy.

Marmite

LiDiC Problems

Post by Marmite » Fri Apr 11, 2008 08:47

I have similar problems to others with this machine. In fact I sent a complaint to BY from their web site, addressed to support, a week ago but have no reply. I have noticed the following: (I use Austar)

The image is squeezed in at each side. I cannot get a proper 16:9 image.
The image on S Video is actually washed out compare with the composite connection.
The remote commands to the Austar box are considerably slowed down giving a delay of up to 2 secs.
Occasionally the image will freeze for maybe half a second as if the bandwidth is not high enough.

I use a projector to a 16:9 screen and have overcome the problem by zooming in until the picture fills the screen. This means, when switching to free to air, I have a lot of over fill. The image is also stretched on Austar side to side. Very odd and very annoying.
Cheers

smeg888
Master

Re: LiDiC Problems

Post by smeg888 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08

Marmite wrote:I have similar problems to others with this machine. In fact I sent a complaint to BY from their web site, addressed to support, a week ago but have no reply. I have noticed the following: (I use Austar)

The image is squeezed in at each side. I cannot get a proper 16:9 image.
The image on S Video is actually washed out compare with the composite connection.
The remote commands to the Austar box are considerably slowed down giving a delay of up to 2 secs.
Occasionally the image will freeze for maybe half a second as if the bandwidth is not high enough.

I use a projector to a 16:9 screen and have overcome the problem by zooming in until the picture fills the screen. This means, when switching to free to air, I have a lot of over fill. The image is also stretched on Austar side to side. Very odd and very annoying.
Hi Marmite

I have sent a few emails to BW and never received a reply. If you want to follow this up I'd suggest you give them a call. I actually talked to them about this a couple of months ago and the guy appeared to listen and note what I was saying. He said he would talk to Korea and post a response. I haven't heard a peep since.

Might be good if you give them a call so that they see that people are bothered about this.

regards

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Re: LiDiC Problems

Post by BJ Boy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 15:14

Marmite wrote:I have similar problems to others with this machine. In fact I sent a complaint to BY from their web site, addressed to support, a week ago but have no reply.
They haven't responded to my complaint either.
Cheers, BJ Boy.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Fri Apr 11, 2008 17:01

Well I haven't had a comment from anyone from BW regarding my post re aspect ratio http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/viewt ... 9302#19302 and many others
and that was back in January. I felt duty bound to do a comprehensive review of the unit as I received my original P1 under an extraordinary good deal even though I'm not a beta tester.

So I bought a LiDiC and tested it thoroughly but it had a fault and was returned for a replacement. The replacement arrived and I decided not to do any further tests until I received some reply or comment regarding a firmware update that would fix the problem. Maybe even a quiet pm to comment on my findings but I fear the LiDIC has dropped below the radar horizon of BW management - a pity as word of mouth criticism can be commercial death. So I've sort of dropped out of the forum for the time being until a few things become more proactive . Whilst I've received good advice from other members the shattering silence from BW management or feedback is most unfortunate.

You should not have to use external software like TMPGenc to fix a design error in order to use the product and of course you then have to playback the file - live time-shifting is out of the question unless you like squashed people
So for the time being adieu
:(

Video #0
PlayTime : 1mn 30s
Last edited by netmask on Sat Apr 26, 2008 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri Apr 11, 2008 22:33

Hi Netmask,

This issue is *not* being ignored by Beyonwiz management. Part of the delay is resulting from Beyonwiz needing to contact and work with the chipset manufacturer to resolve some of the LiDiC questions. I suspect that Beyonwiz is reluctant to comment publically until they have some facts or details that they can give us.

Regards,
Ian.

Gondy
Apprentice

Post by Gondy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 01:39

Can anyone say whether this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue. I've placed an order for a LiDiC last Thu as part of beyonwiz's current promotion - it seemed like a great unit. Now I'm unsure whether to cancel it! :cry:

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat Apr 26, 2008 08:30

IanSav wrote:Hi Netmask,

This issue is *not* being ignored by Beyonwiz management. Part of the delay is resulting from Beyonwiz needing to contact and work with the chipset manufacturer to resolve some of the LiDiC questions. I suspect that Beyonwiz is reluctant to comment publically until they have some facts or details that they can give us.

Regards,
Ian.
Good to know but a better marketing ploy would be a simple "we are currently looking into the problem and will issue a bulletin asap" I know that's essentially without content but it confirms they are listening and kills off further negative technical comments as new purchasers discover the present limitations and more importantly shifts the debate into "when" - Edina is right when she says "appearances can be everything" !!!!!!
Last edited by netmask on Sat Apr 26, 2008 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Gondy
Apprentice

Post by Gondy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:09

Gondy wrote:Can anyone say whether this is a firmware issue or a hardware issue. I've placed an order for a LiDiC last Thu as part of beyonwiz's current promotion - it seemed like a great unit. Now I'm unsure whether to cancel it! :cry:
Netmask, based on the comments here I'm going to just cancel my order! :!: I just don't have time to stuff about editing aspect ratios via external programs. I just want something to transfer programs from VCR/Foxtel or other input sources to H264 format. Might just rig up the cords to the DVR and use autoGK.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:53

Hi,

Can someone please carefully explain what the aspect ratio issue is?

I borrowed my friends LiDiC to test out the WizDR software. I could not find fault with it! The capture, via composite cable, gave me a file with 720 x 576i images. This is a correct ratio, I believe, for PAL and DVD type images.

The quality of this image was quite stunning. This is surprising because the same can not be said of exactly the same LiDiC when connected to my DP-S1! It looks like the LiDiC initialisation parameters on the DP-S1 are not as good as those set by WizDR. With that said it appears that all the DP-S1 needs to make the LiDiC a star performer is to fix the initialisation parameters. This is definitely something that a firmware update should be capable of addressing. Hopfully future Beyonwiz firmware can also add some of the image manipulation controls that are now available via WizDR.

Regards,
Ian.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat Apr 26, 2008 17:50

Ian I don't know yet how the unit performs on a PC yet but ts primary function connected to the BW P1 when you connect a VHS machine playing a standard 4:3 program the file recorded and played back on the LiDiC via the BW is 5:4. !!!!

When you transfer said file to a PC or MAC programs like MediaInfo reports this aspect ratio and to the eye it's pretty obvious. Likewise take the output of a DVD player and feed in an except from a widescreen movie the result is a squashed rendition. TMPCgenc reports the file as having square pixels hence the squashed files. If you then manually change the settings in TMPCgenc to 16:9 all is back to normal.

I reported all of this with detailed logs in my February post as have others.

So if someone connected a Foxtel box with the hope of time shifting or simply making a recording (as reported by people with Foxtel) the recorded image is squashed.

I can supply files as examples if you wish. Hope this helps..

Video #0
PlayTime : 1mn 30s
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Eastwocs
Apprentice

Post by Eastwocs » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:58

IanSav wrote:Hi,
Can someone please carefully explain what the aspect ratio issue is?
I borrowed my friends LiDiC to test out the WizDR software. I could not find fault with it! The capture, via composite cable, gave me a file with 720 x 576i images. This is a correct ratio, I believe, for PAL and DVD type images.
Ian,
I don't know about the LiDiC but I do know about aspect ratios.
720x576 is the standard resolution for both PAL-DVD and Standard Definition DTV.
But this is only half the story: all video files should also contain an aspect ratio flag. This tells the displaying device whether to output the image as 4:3 or 16:9.
e.g. 720x576 is actually a ratio of 5:4. This does not fit on a TV. So every DVD contains a flag which tells the player to stretch this to either 4:3 or 16:9, depending on what the contents of the dvd is. If there is no flag, the pixels are assumed "square", and the picture is displayed in "native" resolution.

So the LiDiC is correct in that it captures the analogue video at 720x576. In the foxtel example, it will do this regardless of whether foxtel is outputting 4:3 or 16:9.
But the problem seems to be it does not record any aspect ratio flag. If the recording is on the BW, the BW seems to be able to rescale it correctly internally. But if you move the file on to a server or PC, or play it on a different device, because there is no flag, it does not display it correctly.

As others have said, you can correct this once the file is on the PC by using different software, but this is an extra step that should not be necessary.
There should be a setup for the LiDiC where you specify what aspect ratio the source is. If it is connected to a VCR, it should be 4:3. It isn't so clear cut for Foxtel, because they can broadcast both types of shows.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:06

Hi Eastwocs,

The extra clarification is noted. Thank you.

I'll chase this up with Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:57

IanSav wrote:Hi Eastwocs,

The extra clarification is noted. Thank you.

I'll chase this up with Beyonwiz.

Regards,
Ian.
Bump :?: .
Cheers, BJ Boy.

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:02

smeg888 wrote:
- running in video full mode (one of the LiDic options), on a 16:9 display the picture is squeezed in by about 5% on each side. Giving a black bar on each side and very thin looking people. The other video option "centre" seems to squeeze a 16:9 display down to a centred 4:3 - totally useless I would have thought.

regards

Smeg
It appears that the aspect problem has been solved. I found a full screen channel on Foxtel & viewed it through Lidic & it appeared to be spot on. Haven't got the chance to check recordings yet. Bewdy.
Cheers, BJ Boy.

benhsau
Apprentice

Post by benhsau » Fri Aug 15, 2008 13:38

BJ Boy wrote:
smeg888 wrote:

regards

Smeg
It appears that the aspect problem has been solved. I found a full screen channel on Foxtel & viewed it through Lidic & it appeared to be spot on. Haven't got the chance to check recordings yet. Bewdy.
Seems that this issue has been fixed with the release of 261. Still having some audio sync problems when playing back a ludic recording...
Samsung UA65JS9000W TV
Yamaha RX-773 AV Receiver (7.2 Surround Sound)
BD-E5900 3D BD DVD
Beyonwiz T4 4TB / Beyonwiz T3 4TB / Beyonwiz DP-P1

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 16:20

I telephoned BW Aust this morning and they agreed the aspect ratio is incorrect - their Olympic rings on TV ch7 were not round. They are now contacting Korea to see what is happening re fixing the problem. They asked me to ring back on Friday when they hope to have an answer.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 17:50

Orf, is this with 261? Why are some saying it is ok...?
Tony

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Aug 18, 2008 19:58

Hi Orf,
Orf wrote:I telephoned BW Aust this morning and they agreed the aspect ratio is incorrect - their Olympic rings on TV ch7 were not round. They are now contacting Korea to see what is happening re fixing the problem. They asked me to ring back on Friday when they hope to have an answer.
I think that Beyonwiz staff are on holidays this week.

Regards,
Ian.

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 22:21

No sign of sync problems on my S1. A 2 hour prog I recorded was still synced at the end.
Cheers, BJ Boy.

BJ Boy
Apprentice

Post by BJ Boy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 22:23

Orf wrote:I telephoned BW Aust this morning and they agreed the aspect ratio is incorrect - their Olympic rings on TV ch7 were not round. They are now contacting Korea to see what is happening re fixing the problem. They asked me to ring back on Friday when they hope to have an answer.
Looks fine to me!
Cheers, BJ Boy.

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 14:11

tonymy01 wrote:Orf, is this with 261? Why are some saying it is ok...?
I have not tried it with 261 but I would have thought BW Aust would be running 261.
I will go and try it now.
Just tried it with a VHS tape and it is not fixed. The picture gives me fat people with 4:3 selected for BW output. Interestingly, 16:9 also gives fat people. There are no black borders in either ratio so I guess that some of the picture is missing from my wide screen LCD TV.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 14:35

Orf, your post still isn't clear. DId you upgrade while you were typing?
Tony

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Tue Aug 19, 2008 15:40

Orf wrote:
tonymy01 wrote:Orf, is this with 261? Why are some saying it is ok...?
I have not tried it with 261 but I would have thought BW Aust would be running 261.
I will go and try it now.
Just tried it with a VHS tape and it is not fixed. The picture gives me fat people with 4:3 selected for BW output. Interestingly, 16:9 also gives fat people. There are no black borders in either ratio so I guess that some of the picture is missing from my wide screen LCD TV.
I haven't tried it yet but the unfixed LiDiC produces a 5:4 image instead of 4:3 so the 'people should look thin not fat' . The Beyonwiz solution to global obesity :D
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 16:38

tonymy01 wrote:I haven't tried it yet but the unfixed LiDiC produces a 5:4 image instead of 4:3 so the 'people should look thin not fat' . The Beyonwiz solution to global obesity :D
They look fat on my tele.
One other thing, the tech thinks that BW may be waiting for the chipset people to produce new F/W for the chip in the LIDIC but he wasn't sure.

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Tue Aug 19, 2008 17:39

Play a file of a VHS capture and cycle the 0 zero button until you have a black border either side of the image (I'm assuming you have a 16:9 TV) then press the Zoom button to the Zoom1 setting. this makes my 5:4 ex LiDiC files appear near enough to 4:3 albeit with a little bit of cropping. but the image ratio's and a test pattern circle looks like a circle.

If you have a 4:3 TV all of the above probably doesn't apply :roll:
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Thu Aug 21, 2008 13:05

netmask wrote:Play a file of a VHS capture and cycle the 0 zero button until you have a black border either side of the image (I'm assuming you have a 16:9 TV) then press the Zoom button to the Zoom1 setting. this makes my 5:4 ex LiDiC files appear near enough to 4:3 albeit with a little bit of cropping. but the image ratio's and a test pattern circle looks like a circle.
Well, I tried your suggestion, netmask, and it did give me what appears to be the correct aspect ratio of 4:3.
I first tried it playing a tape live through the LIDIC and neither the 0 or zoom keys worked. I do not know if they should or shouldn't work.
I then saved part of the tape to the BW and played that and the keys worked.
When I tried to revert to the normal BW functions I found that no matter what key I pressed on the remote I got a red X in the top right hand corner of the screen. The only key to work was the standby key.
After restarting I found that the WLAN was not working. I tried all sorts of things to get it going, even unplugging the BW and it still would not work.
My wife then walked into the room and the BW would not dare to play up in front of her and the WLAN magically came good and worked all by itself.
I originally purchased the LIDIC so that my wife could easily play tapes by putting a tape in the tape deck and selecting LIDIC on the BW. If I have to go through all that rigmarole to play a tape then the LIDIC is not for me.
I can play tapes directly to the TV from the tape deck but my wife can't.
I will see what BW Aust has to say tomorrow.

Gondy
Apprentice

Post by Gondy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 02:02

Any update on LiDic aspect ratios? Does the DP-P2 solve the problem. Anyone looking for a cheap LiDic?

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Mon Dec 15, 2008 08:28

Gondy wrote:Any update on LiDic aspect ratios? Does the DP-P2 solve the problem. Anyone looking for a cheap LiDic?
I disconnected my lidic ages ago so I do not know if the aspect ratio has been fixed. Like you, I would like to know the answer.
If you already have a lidic you should be able to return it to the store where you bought it because it doesn't do what it is meant to do, that is show a picture correctly.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Dec 15, 2008 08:39

Hi Orf,
Orf wrote:I disconnected my lidic ages ago so I do not know if the aspect ratio has been fixed. Like you, I would like to know the answer.
As the owner of a LiDiC aren't you perfectly positioned to test this out and let other know if you still have issues or not.
Orf wrote:If you already have a lidic you should be able to return it to the store where you bought it because it doesn't do what it is meant to do, that is show a picture correctly.
Isn't this comment a little premature if no-one has even checked if this is still an issue.

Regards,
Ian.

Gondy
Apprentice

Post by Gondy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:05

Orf wrote:
Gondy wrote:Any update on LiDic aspect ratios? Does the DP-P2 solve the problem. Anyone looking for a cheap LiDic?
I disconnected my lidic ages ago so I do not know if the aspect ratio has been fixed. Like you, I would like to know the answer.
If you already have a lidic you should be able to return it to the store where you bought it because it doesn't do what it is meant to do, that is show a picture correctly.
Bought mine directly from beyonwiz! Mine is sitting behind the tele and every now and then I notice the pretty blue lights.

Shame.

I'm using a DVD-R to capture shows from other devices that I want to keep, then converting them to AVI. No aspect problem at all.

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Dec 15, 2008 09:23

Gondy wrote:Bought mine directly from beyonwiz! Mine is sitting behind the tele and every now and then I notice the pretty blue lights.
Have you tried it again since upgrading to 280?
Cheers
Gully

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19

I am in the throws of moving house and really do not have time to set up my lidic again. Also, I was hoping someone that already has one set up and has 280 may have used it and could comment.

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Dec 15, 2008 13:31

Orf wrote:I am in the throws of moving house and really do not have time to set up my lidic again. Also, I was hoping someone that already has one set up and has 280 may have used it and could comment.
That was why I asked Gondy seeing as it is obviously still set up there.
Cheers
Gully

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:32

Sorry Gully, I thought your previous message was meant for me.

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Dec 15, 2008 14:35

Orf wrote:Sorry Gully, I thought your previous message was meant for me.
I thought that including a quote from his message might have avoided any confusion but oh well. :D
Cheers
Gully

Orf
Master

Post by Orf » Mon Dec 15, 2008 22:04

Gully wrote:
Orf wrote:Sorry Gully, I thought your previous message was meant for me.
I thought that including a quote from his message might have avoided any confusion but oh well. :D
My mistake. As usual too much in a hurry to realise what I was doing.

Return to “AP-E1 LiDiC”