Copy VHS to digital format on a DP-P2 (AV input)

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

kroppkaka

Copy VHS to digital format on a DP-P2 (AV input)

Post by kroppkaka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48

Hi,
I am going to try to copy my family VHS tapes to a digital format before I throw out my old VHS player.
I am not sure what digital format would be recommended maybe a dvd, MKV.
or a format I can use in the future to show my grand kids?
We have the Beyonwiz DP-P2 and the 380 firmware and I have heard it is possible to use the Wiz through the AV input to get a digital file.
Is it a good idea to use the Wiz or should I look into buying a converter package from a shop?
If the Wiz would be the way to go, is it possible to have a guide for me and maybe other people who would like to get rid of the old tapes and have something the future generation could watch.
What would you do in this case?
Thank you.
kroppkaka
P2 owner- XP Home

glow
Guru

Post by glow » Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:43

Indeed you can use the DP-P2 AV inputs to copy from VHS to your Beyonwiz HDD.
See http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/media/guides ... _input.pdf

A few problems with this
1. You'll have to copy them off your Wiz if you want archive them elsewhere
2. Copying is slow - not quite as slow as the original real-time capture
3. The H.264 encoded TS files made by the Wiz are a little unusual and not easily processed by other programs
4. The aspect ratio can get messed up
5. I didn't think the quality was that good

I would capture the VCR output to a PC via a converter. I've still got an old Digital8 video camera with AV inputs and firewire output which I use. My dad bought a small box with AV inputs and USB output that is similar (but he never ended up using it) You can also use a LiDIC to do the same but I thought the quality wasn't as good as my video camera.
Advantages of capturing to a PC
- can easily edit them
- easy to archive
- put in any file format you like

You can also use a DVD recorder to archive on DVD.

Since you already have a DP-P2, I'd say give it a go and see if the results are ok for you. Easy enough to record to the Wiz. Just set it up according to the guide and record from service 950 like any other TV program. To get them off the Wiz, if it's networked use YARDWiz otherwise copy to a FAT formatted USB device.

Return to “FAQs and Tips”