Has the Copy/Move function been removed from the FV-L1?

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

AmandaJane
On probation

Has the Copy/Move function been removed from the FV-L1?

Post by AmandaJane » Mon Jul 12, 2010 17:46

I purchased a FV-L1 2 months ago and have been enjoying the use of it since. That is until I have been trying to copy/move files from the internal HDD to an external USB HD.
The manual gives instructions on how to copy/move - which I am following to the letter.
I saw on some of the other posts that the FV-L1 may not have the function due to something in the Freeview software?? I'm not fully tech-savy but desperately need some help.
I have a 1TB external HDD which I was trying to use - I formatted this and then plugged it in. It is detected by the FV-L1 in the list of devices but does not come up in the list of devices when I choose copy/move.
I then purchased a 500GB external HDD as I saw in a post that a powered USB device may try to get more power from the FV-L1 than it can deliver. Same thing occurred.
Has the function been removed (if it ever existed)? Is there a reason why it would be removed but remain in the manual? Is there any way to change it so I can copy/move files off the internal HDD?
Thanks!!! :?

prl
Wizard God

Re: Has the Copy/Move function been removed from the FV-L1?

Post by prl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 17:58

AmandaJane wrote:I purchased a FV-L1 2 months ago and have been enjoying the use of it since. That is until I have been trying to copy/move files from the internal HDD to an external USB HD.
The manual gives instructions on how to copy/move - which I am following to the letter.
I saw on some of the other posts that the FV-L1 may not have the function due to something in the Freeview software?? I'm not fully tech-savy but desperately need some help.
I have a 1TB external HDD which I was trying to use - I formatted this and then plugged it in. It is detected by the FV-L1 in the list of devices but does not come up in the list of devices when I choose copy/move.
I then purchased a 500GB external HDD as I saw in a post that a powered USB device may try to get more power from the FV-L1 than it can deliver. Same thing occurred.
Has the function been removed (if it ever existed)? Is there a reason why it would be removed but remain in the manual? Is there any way to change it so I can copy/move files off the internal HDD?
Thanks!!! :?
Copy/move from the recording folder on the Beyonwiz doesn't work, never has, and is intended to be that way. That's the downside of the little red Freeview logo on the front. You can only copy files from the Contents folder onto an external HDD. But since files in the Contents folder are ones you put there from another computer, that function is really only any use if you lost the original copy.

If you were told by the sales assistant that the FV-L1 allowed you copy recordings off it, you should be able to return it as not fit for purpose, and get your money back. You may want to put the money towards a non-Freeview DP-Lite, which will do pretty much all that the FV-L1 will, but will probably cost a bit more. The down sides are the lack of a front panel display and the lack of a front USB port (and only a single USB port in the rear). You may want to run an extension USB cable from the back to the front to allow easier connection (I do this for my DP-H1, which has both its USB ports at the back.

The DP-Lite also only has analog stereo audio, and no analog 5.1. You need to use a digital audio connection (HDMI or S/PDIF) for 5.1 audio on the Lite.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jul 12, 2010 18:03

Hi AmandaJane,

Welcome!

Unfortunately the model of Beyonwiz you own is a Freeview model and as such has the copy/move function for TV recordings disabled.

As has been posted a number of times before, if you were sold this unit on the basis that you can copy/move recordings off the box then discuss the problem with the place that sold you your unit. They have miss-represented the features available on the FV-L1 model.

Regards,
Ian.

AmandaJane
On probation

Copy / Move function on FV-L1

Post by AmandaJane » Mon Jul 19, 2010 22:30

Thanks for letting me know guys. I'm happy to know now that I wasn't doing anything wrong but extremely annoyed that this function doesn't work.
Will have to think about whether I will take it back or not because if I do I will lose what I have already saved on the internal HDD which doesn't help me much as this is the stuff I want to move off and keep!
:x

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Mon Jul 19, 2010 22:37

Hi AmandaJane,

You should immediately report your problem to the seller. You may be able to arrange for enough time to watch your recordings before you return the unit.

If you were sold a unit that can transfer recordings then you should get what you wanted.

Regards,
Ian.

download
Guru

Re: Copy / Move function on FV-L1

Post by download » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42

Do you have a DVDR? You can connect that to the PVR and PLAY shows on the PVR and REC to the DVDR. Not ideal but functional to copy some off. You can queue up several programs to play in sequence on the BW (blue button in the filelist menu I believe)

Note: The non Freeview model will have much better ad skipping options to.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Return to “FAQs and Tips”