subs coincide with voices ?

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Dann
Apprentice

subs coincide with voices ?

Post by Dann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 07:53

If this has been asked before ,apologies.
Is there any way to correct to correct the subtitles to coincide with a person speaking as I do have a hearing problem and need to have subs. This applies to recorded and live
presentation.Otherwise I am happy with my BW pvr. :-)

Thanks for reading this,
Dann

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 08:00

There's no way to adjust this on the Beyonwiz. Is the synchronisation between the closed captions and the voice better on other devices?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Dann
Apprentice

Post by Dann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 08:18

prl wrote:There's no way to adjust this on the Beyonwiz. Is the synchronisation between the closed captions and the voice better on other devices?
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I previously had a Humax and to my recollection there was no problem with subs.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:32

Hi Dann,

Is the synchronisation out on all channels by a similar amount?

Regards,
Ian.

Dann
Apprentice

Post by Dann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 13:35

IanSav wrote:Hi Dann,

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian,
My wife says it is more so with recorded shows than live ,that there is no subs on 7two and Go, sometimes 9 and 7 is a bit slow with subs. So answer to your question would be not all channels and I do agree on her mentioning some recorded shows.

Cheers,
Dann

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jan 21, 2010 14:02

Hi Dann,

If it was the Beyonwiz then I would have expected a more consistent observation of problems. Unfortunately I don't do much with subtitles so I don't have more insight into this area.

Regards,
Ian.

Dann
Apprentice

Post by Dann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 17:32

If it was the Beyonwiz then I would have expected a more consistent observation of problems. Unfortunately I don't do much with subtitles so I don't have more insight into this area.

Regards,
Ian.
Thank you anyway Ian and I believe BW is a top product and so easy to use and reliable. Have a great Night,
Dann

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:41

Dann wrote:

Regards,
Ian.
Hi Ian,
My wife says it is more so with recorded shows than live ,that there is no subs on 7two and Go, sometimes 9 and 7 is a bit slow with subs. So answer to your question would be not all channels and I do agree on her mentioning some recorded shows.

Cheers,
Dann
I see/ hear a similar thing to you Dann. I like using subtitles on 'scrapheap challenge' which I often record to watch later.
On playback from the start subtitles are in sync, no problems. But skip backwards and the subtitles are wildly out of sync. Stopping and restarting from the remembered spot does not fix it. I just turn them off as they are hopeless after this.
cheers
Tony

Dann
Apprentice

Yes it is a Annoying Problem :-(

Post by Dann » Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:18

Hello Tony,

At least you prove I am not the only onewith that problem as i was beginning to wonder "is it only me?" :-) The subs were not the best yesterday and had to turn them off and this was a watching a normal show , not one of our recorded ones. Would you also believe that sometimes the subs have been before the spoken words too? That is the only gripe I have with BW- the subs. So thank you for your reply.

Have a Great Weekend,
Dann

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:33

Hi Dann,

The point I was trying to make was that it is often the TV stations that broadcast the subtitles out of sync with the content. If you noted that all the stations had the same amount of sync error then it could be shown to be more likely to be the Beyonwiz. If the issues vary all over the place then it may well be the broadcasters. (Don't rely on any broadcaster to be doing the right thing at all times. Just look at the number of issues they cause when they start transmitting random times for the current time!)

Regards,
Ian.

Dann
Apprentice

The point I was trying to make was that it is often the TV

Post by Dann » Mon Jan 25, 2010 17:26

The point I was trying to make was that it is often the TV stations that broadcast the subtitles out of sync with the content. If you noted that all the stations had the same amount of sync error then it could be shown to be more likely to be the Beyonwiz. If the issues vary all over the place then it may well be the broadcasters. (Don't rely on any broadcaster to be doing the right thing at all times. Just look at the number of issues they cause when they start transmitting random times for the current time!)

Regards,
Ian.
Thanks Ian,
So I gather I should contact the offending channels or is there some other tribunal or whatever I complain to? As it appears it is not the BW.
Happy Australia Day,
Dann

prl
Wizard God

Re: The point I was trying to make was that it is often the

Post by prl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 17:35

Dann wrote:...
Thanks Ian,
So I gather I should contact the offending channels or is there some other tribunal or whatever I complain to? As it appears it is not the BW.
Happy Australia Day,
Dann
The requirement to provide Closed Captions is in the Broadcasting Services Act (Schedule 4). ACMA is responsible for administering the act, but you'd probably be best off contacting the TV stations first, and try ACMA if they don't appear to be responding appropriately.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Dann
Apprentice

Re: The point I was trying to make was that it is often the

Post by Dann » Mon Jan 25, 2010 19:09

prl wrote:
Dann wrote:...
Thanks Ian,
Happy Australia Day,
Dann
The requirement to provide Closed Captions is in the Broadcasting Services Act (Schedule 4). ACMA is responsible for administering the act, but you'd probably be best off contacting the TV stations first, and try ACMA if they don't appear to be responding appropriately.
Thanking you Peter , I will accept your suggestions . Cheers, Dann :P

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=86081
Another person trialling the Wiz with the same issue.

I don't notice any major lag here in Sydney, this person talks about 3secs!!
I reckon it may have to do with synchronisation information put into the subtitles that the Wiz may treat differently when not live? Perhaps the synch info is wrong, and so when during normal file playback, the Wiz knows the time to beginning of file etc, so uses the synch info and that to buffer and display, but in Live, it doesn't know the time to beginning of file, so just displays them when it gets them??

I could imagine for some areas, they don't bother checking the synch info, and get the stream independently from their analogue broadcast, and just mux it in without resynching it, and the Wiz honors this bogus synch information during file playback? There is really no other explanation I can think of (well, apart from the wiz buffering the heck out of video and audio for file playback and accidentally feeding subtitles immediately into the video stream rather than buffering that also... sounds much more unlikely than the 1st explanation).

Regards
Tony

Dann
Apprentice

out of sync subs

Post by Dann » Wed Jan 27, 2010 05:06

Hi Tony,
I live in Newcastle NSW and the problem is more than 3 seconds Live BUT not every time . I must say it is frustrating having a hearing problem. So I guess no need to discuss this problem any further.Even tho I am pleased with BW otherwise, next time , possibly this year,I will consider another brand and look into it more thorough.

Thanks One and All for your Input,

Dann
Newcastle

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:20

This problem is real, had it last night. I recorded ?The Wire? last night with a bit of the end of ?Paul Kelly?. I would normally start viewing by skipping to the start of the program, but it was out of sync with the subtitles. Tried may things like stopping and starting and it didn?t fix it. What did work was to skip back, press pause then un-pause (the pause button again) and it ran in sync for the rest of the program.

This is consistent, if I start viewing the recording from the beginning it is out of sync over the entire program. Using skip back, pause and un-pause fixed it every time no matter where I started viewing.

I would like somebody who has recordings that are out of sync to give this a try as I only have the one recording with the problem.

PS: Do not expect live programs like the news and current affairs to be in sync as they never are.
T3-500GB
Panasonic TX-32LXD700A, Yamaha RX-A1060 & BD-A1060; Asus RT-N56U; QNAP TS-451/TS-410 NAS.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:29

tonymy01 wrote:http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=86081
Another person trialling the Wiz with the same issue.
... and he now says that he's decided against the P2 because of the subtitles problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

bander
On probation

Post by bander » Wed Jan 27, 2010 23:17

I'm the original poster from the other forum. I spoke to DPG today and they gave me the January 20 firmware to try (v1.07.030). It fixed the issue for me. Subtitles are now displayed with the correct timings on playback.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Jan 27, 2010 23:42

bander wrote:I'm the original poster from the other forum. I spoke to DPG today and they gave me the January 20 firmware to try (v1.07.030). It fixed the issue for me. Subtitles are now displayed with the correct timings on playback.
Interesting......

Anyway, before I read this post I did some tests with subtitles. I tried many files and skipped/paused/unpaused to try to throw them out, but they were all perfect. But of course, I run the beta firmwares, so there still may be an issue with .301.

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Thu Jan 28, 2010 21:59

Raid wrote:This problem is real, had it last night. I recorded ?The Wire? last night with a bit of the end of ?Paul Kelly?. I would normally start viewing by skipping to the start of the program, but it was out of sync with the subtitles. Tried may things like stopping and starting and it didn?t fix it. What did work was to skip back, press pause then un-pause (the pause button again) and it ran in sync for the rest of the program.

This is consistent, if I start viewing the recording from the beginning it is out of sync over the entire program. Using skip back, pause and un-pause fixed it every time no matter where I started viewing. ...
I would like somebody who has recordings that are out of sync to give this a try as I only have the one recording with the problem.

I have a DP1 with .301 and this worked on a file where the subtitle timing was early by about 4 seconds (ABC2 recorded SD program).
cheers
Tony

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 06:26

madmax wrote: Anyway, before I read this post I did some tests with subtitles. I tried many files and skipped/paused/unpaused to try to throw them out, but they were all perfect. But of course, I run the beta firmwares, so there still may be an issue with .301.
Madmax

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post.

I only have the one file that has a problem with subtitle syn. In this case the subtitles lead the vision by 2-3 seconds. If you perform the key sequence above it will cause the subtitles to go back into sync, it does not cause it to go in and out of sync.

Sorry for the confusion
T3-500GB
Panasonic TX-32LXD700A, Yamaha RX-A1060 & BD-A1060; Asus RT-N56U; QNAP TS-451/TS-410 NAS.

Dann
Apprentice

Post by Dann » Fri Jan 29, 2010 06:52

Raid wrote:
madmax wrote: Anyway, before I read this post I did some tests with subtitles. I tried many files and skipped/paused/unpaused to try to throw them out, but they were all perfect. But of course, I run the beta firmwares, so there still may be an issue with .301.
Madmax

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my post.

I only have the one file that has a problem with subtitle syn. In this case the subtitles lead the vision by 2-3 seconds. If you perform the key sequence above it will cause the subtitles to go back into sync, it does not cause it to go in and out of sync.

Sorry for the confusion
Thanks will give it a go,sounds positive. Then chase up the live programs with contacts suggested others.
Have a Great Weekend,Dann

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 30, 2010 07:09

Have just installed the new FW (320) and much to my surprise the one file that consistently had the subtitles 2-3 seconds ahead of the vision now plays correctly.

For me, the subtitle problem is now fixed! :shock:
T3-500GB

Half Round
Master

Post by Half Round » Sat Jan 30, 2010 15:11

Raid wrote:Have just installed the new FW (320) and much to my surprise the one file that consistently had the subtitles 2-3 seconds ahead of the vision now plays correctly.

For me, the subtitle problem is now fixed! :shock:
Same here.
Will have a go at changing LCN order in favorites now. 8)
cheers
Tony

Return to “FAQs and Tips”