Keeping Program Name/ description with copy on usb hd or dvd

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

tipscomp
Apprentice

Keeping Program Name/ description with copy on usb hd or dvd

Post by tipscomp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 13:26

It's great to have the ice description available on the DP-S1 hard drive nowadays. Is there anyway I can keep it when I transfer the program to usb hd or burn to dvd?

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 13:43

It is kept on the USB also (as this keeps the "tvwiz" directory structure format).... assuming you transfer with the GUI and/or transfer with WizFX to your PC in .tvwiz mode and not .ts mode. Obviously transferred to DVD means a different format, so this isn't possible unless you are simply burning the .tvwiz directory to the DVD for archive purposes.
Obviously .ts mode is not going to give you those details as they are stored in a seperate header file in the tvwiz directory structure, and thus effectively you have turned the file into a basic media file once you save as .ts.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Re: Keeping Program Name/ description with copy on usb hd or

Post by prl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 13:55

tipscomp wrote:It's great to have the ice description available on the DP-S1 hard drive nowadays. Is there anyway I can keep it when I transfer the program to usb hd or burn to dvd?
The native Beyonwiz format for a recording is a folder containing the actual recorded digital TV stream split into a set of 32MB files numbered 0000, 0001, ..., and a small number of header files. The header.tvwiz file in each recording contains, amongst other things, the program title and episode name (if it has one), and the IceTV synopsis of the program.

If you copy the recording to USB via a Copy operation on the Beyonwiz, the information in the header file is preserved because the copy is in Beyonwiz native format. The same if you copy the file to a PC using WizFX, provided you keep the Beyonwiz native format. The format of the header.tvwiz file is Beyonwiz proprietary, and only programs designed to work with Beyonwiz recordings can interpret it.

If you convert a Beyonwiz recording to a single file (e.g. by using WizFX to convert to a single TS file), the single file doesn't have any of the information that's in header.tvwiz.

Similarly, if you convert the recording to MPEG Program Stream to burn it to DVD, the information in header.tvwiz will be lost (I'm assuming you mean burning as a normal Video DVD, not a data DVD with media files on it).

The only way I can think of getting that information onto a Video DVD would be to extract it to a text file, and use a DVD authoring tool to put the text onto the DVD somehow (I'm not sure if that is even possible :) ). If you want to try this, getWizPnP (a commandline program that can do much the same things as WizFX) can extract the information in a header.tvwiz file and print it; you can redirect that into a file. But it's probably a good idea to see whether there's some way to put text like this onto a DVD before you bother with actually trying to extract it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Wed Dec 03, 2008 16:47

You can add text to the MPEG2 file with Womble http://www.womble.com/ before authoring.

Womble has a title editor that you can type the text into, format it, add effects etc and then drop it into the time line before or after the movie starts or as an overlay - you can drag the text object over the movie - you could even create one of those nasty message along the bottom of the frame of the movie!
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Return to “FAQs and Tips”