A Short Guide To Using WizFX...

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

kendo

Post by kendo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 16:49

IanSav wrote:Hi,

May I ask why this FAQ is suddenly being turned in to a general recording transfer discussion topic?

Regards,
Ian.
I agree that FAQs should be kept concise but known issues (if verified by others), like perhaps if USB used and WizFX run after transfer editing from UI doesn't work well, should be left there.

Whilst I'm new to this forum I did find it odd that there were Q&A in the FAQ but it seemed to be the done thing. Sorry.

Thanks for the Forum and the FAQs.

(Further testing with media player classic can play around the editing on double speed but freezes on normal play back, so another player may work better. Also of note is 1 hr of external recording (mpeg 4) is only about 1.33gb which is much smaller than I expected).

Ade
Apprentice

Re: IConverting tvwiz to .ts on a linux machine & Handbr

Post by Ade » Thu Feb 03, 2011 17:54

glow wrote:
Ade wrote:At the moment I use WizFX to convert tvwiz to ts on an XP box. Is there soe way to convert tvwiz files to .ts on a linux machine/ I am contemplating using WINE to run an XP emulator, but if there is a native linux solution that would be fab.
You can use getwizpnp which is a perl script.
Many thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I'm an idiot with this sort of thing - and need a GUI; I've never used perl script. Are there a step by step instructions some whee? Sorry about this....

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 18:00

Ade wrote: ... Are there a step by step instructions some whee? Sorry about this....
There are installation instructions in the installation package's README.txt, and a fairly comprehensive Unix-style man page in the package in the html folder (HTML format), and in the doc folder (plain text). The documentation is light on examples, though.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Ade
Apprentice

Post by Ade » Thu Feb 03, 2011 18:01

glow wrote:Better get in quick before this discussion gets moderated for being Off Topic...
Ade wrote:Also, I tend to compress edited .ts files to .avi using autoGK or avidmux. I have seen a lot of talk about Handbrake. What do folks think of it? It uses a different codec (MP4 rather than .avi) Most grateful for opinions and thoughts.
Avidemux can output other container formats such as MP4 if you want.

Personally I use ProjectX and Avidemux to compress my Wiz TS files.
- ProjectX corrects transmission errors to prevent audio sync errors in the final output
- ProjectX extracts subtitle information into an SRT file compatible with the Wiz
- you can edit the TS file in ProjectX to remove ads and keep the audio, video and subtitles in sync
- You can set up ProjectX to automatically call another program like Avidemux with your favourite settings. See ProjectX Postprocess post commands
- ProjectX and Avidemux should work ok in a linux environment (though calling postprocess commands will be different than my Windows example)
- See netwmask's Guide to ProjectX for Beyonwiz
Thanks Glow for the pointers. I've used project X and avidmux - just can't decide whether to stick with avi or go to MP4.
Apologies to those who took exception to my initial post; I thought this was the right place for this sort of question.
The forum is very helpful and the advice always of use.

Ade.

Ade
Apprentice

Post by Ade » Thu Feb 03, 2011 18:03

prl wrote: There are installation instructions in the installation package's README.txt.
Thanks Peter. Much appreciated. So many helpful folks. Much appreciated.

Helix70
Apprentice

Post by Helix70 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:07

Anyone else have WizFX crash when double clicking directories on the left hand side?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Feb 13, 2011 17:20

Hi Helix70,
Helix70 wrote:Anyone else have WizFX crash when double clicking directories on the left hand side?
No.

Regards,
Ian.

Helix70
Apprentice

Post by Helix70 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 08:46

I get multiple access violations. I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:44

Have you tried running the app as administrator? Often if I have a misbehaving app in Windows7 64bit, I will give it a go to run it as administrator (right click the shortcut from start menu, choose run as administrator), and this sorts it out. I haven't had your probs though running WizFX on Windows7 64bit here to my DP-S1, but I don't use it on a regular basis, maybe only once every 3 or 4 weeks.
Tony

Gully

Post by Gully » Mon Feb 14, 2011 13:43

tonymy01 wrote:Have you tried running the app as administrator? Often if I have a misbehaving app in Windows7 64bit, I will give it a go to run it as administrator (right click the shortcut from start menu, choose run as administrator), and this sorts it out. I haven't had your probs though running WizFX on Windows7 64bit here to my DP-S1, but I don't use it on a regular basis, maybe only once every 3 or 4 weeks.
The other thing to try - and it runs fine here without this, is to run it in compatibility mode. Try XP under properties.
Cheers
Gully

thewally
Apprentice

Re: A Short Guide To Using WizFX...

Post by thewally » Sat Apr 02, 2011 08:30

IanSav wrote:Hi Billzilla,
Billzilla wrote:I'm trying to get WinFX working, but nothing appears in the left box, nothing to be selected. Is there any extra tricks to making it work?
Box is a DPS1, computer is an XP Pro SP3, network is wired and seems to work okay.
Have you enabled the WizPNP server on the DP-S1?
Have you opened the WizPNP port you are using in the Windows XP firewall?

Regards,
Ian.
I've got the same problem with nothing showing in WizFX. Ive enabled the client and server in WizPNP, named it 'beyonwiz' and the port number is 49152. Is this right? I've disabled my firewall, what do I do next?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Apr 02, 2011 09:40

Hi Thewally,
thewally wrote:I've got the same problem with nothing showing in WizFX. Ive enabled the client and server in WizPNP, named it 'beyonwiz' and the port number is 49152. Is this right? I've disabled my firewall, what do I do next?
How about giving us some information with which to work? What is the computer? What O/S is it using? How are things connected? Is the Beyonwiz correctly connecting to the network? Etc.

How Best To Post About Problems With Your Beyonwiz...

Regards,
Ian.

thewally
Apprentice

Post by thewally » Sat Apr 02, 2011 19:32

IanSav wrote:Hi Thewally,
thewally wrote:I've got the same problem with nothing showing in WizFX. Ive enabled the client and server in WizPNP, named it 'beyonwiz' and the port number is 49152. Is this right? I've disabled my firewall, what do I do next?
How about giving us some information with which to work? What is the computer? What O/S is it using? How are things connected? Is the Beyonwiz correctly connecting to the network? Etc.

How Best To Post About Problems With Your Beyonwiz...

Regards,
Ian.
Sorry, in my frustration I forgot the details. I have a wireless connection to a laptop running w7. Everything else is fine, icetv works well and I can see my shared pc folders from the beyonwiz. I tried to copy straight from the wiz to pc which worked well on a previous laptop running vista, but now that comes up with the error of not enough free space or that the folder is read only. That's why I tried the wizpnp route but no success there either.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Apr 02, 2011 20:46

Hi Thewally,

Can you try a direct wired connection between the Beyonwiz and the PC? It would be handy to eliminate the network from the equation. Also try turning off the Windows firewall to make sure it is not getting in the way.

To use the Beyonwiz to access the PC you must ensure that the Beyonwiz can log into the PC. That is, you must have a valid username, password and workgroup configured on the Beyonwiz that must match the equivalent settings on your PC. Further, the share that you want to access on the PC must grant appropriate access privileges to that account used on the Beyonwiz. This has already been explained a number of times on this forum.

Regards,
Ian.

Return to “FAQs and Tips”