Firmware Recovery Procedure...

Frequently Asked Questions and How To topics for new users.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Firmware Recovery Procedure...

Post by IanSav » Sun May 04, 2008 14:14

Hi All,

These instructions were originally posted by Steven at Beyonwiz. I am simply copying them here and expanding a few points to make the instructions easier for everyone to access.

If you have a firmware failure, or a firmware update that fails, you can reinstall the firmware by following these steps:
  1. Ensure that your Beyonwiz is in the STANDBY state.
    - If the unit failed in the ON state then you may need to remove power to the unit for long enough to drain the internal super cap such that the time is reset to flashing 00:00 and the unit forgets that it was last in the ON state.
  2. Download RemoteUpdate.zip at http://www.beyonwiz.com/fw/aus_pub (Authorisation information: Login: guest / Password: thssladlqslek) (NOTE: This link is currently broken. I will update it when I get a replacement link.)
    - Alternate URL from PVR-Tools: RemoteUpdater.zip
  3. Disable any personal firewalls or make an exception entry that permits any network actions of RemoteUpdate.exe
  4. Run RemoteUpdate.exe on WindowsXP (not tested with Vista or Windows 7) (IMPORTANT NOTE: RemoteUpdate does not work with Windows 7. If you need to use this program please run it from a Windows XP based PC. Beyonwiz are looking into the problem.)
  5. Drag the required firmware update file into RemoteUpdate (this should be the .WRP file and not a .ZIP)
  6. Choose the correct address you're using from the dropdown box on RemoteUpdate
  7. Ensure that the Beyonwiz is connected to the network via a wired LAN connection and the the network is working properly
  8. Power on the Beyonwiz with 1+2+3+4+POWER sequence (press the "1" button on the remote followed by "2", followed by "3", followed by "4", followed by the POWER/STANDBY button)
  9. Unit front panel will indicate: INITIALIZE / DOWNLOAD / WRP: ##/## / UPGRADE OK
    if everything went correctly
  10. If the process generates any error messages please note all the details and create a post in this forum (not this topic) requesting assistance
FYI: The Beyonwiz firmware package is protected by two independent MD5 checksums, which is much safer than simple checksum or CRC-32. So please don't worry about the downloaded firmware's integrity.

Regards,
Steven Han @ RnD, BeyonWiz and Ian.

Additional Information:

The following suggestion was made by Warkus (Mark) to address a potential network initialisation problem if the Beyonwiz is directly connected to the PC with no router present...

Set your PC network settings to...

IP 192.168.1.10
Gateway 192.168.1.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0

Use a cross over cable and connect it directly between the PC and the Beyonwiz.

Once the IP address is set (as above) on the PC, turn the Beyonwiz on using the 1234 power sequence as described above. The Beyonwiz will probably display a networking error. While the Beyonwiz is flashing E:NETWORK, or whatever error it gives, then start the RemoteUpdate tool.

Basically with the Beyonwiz switched on, the network link will be up so that the RemoteUpdate tool will pick up the correct IP address. Once RemoteUpdate is started and showing the correct IP address then set the Beyonwiz to standby mode. Do *not* close the RemoteUpdate tool. When the Beyonwiz is in standby mode then give RemoteUpdate the correct Beyonwiz firmware image file, and then perform the 1234 power on sequence on the Beyonwiz again. The Beyonwiz should now start accepting the replacement firmware image as described above.

Mark and others have had to perform these extra steps on occasion but have found it to be a foolproof way to establish the connection if the simple direct procedure isn't working.

Regards,
Warkus (Mark) and Ian.
Last edited by IanSav on Wed Jun 08, 2011 09:55, edited 4 times in total.

DaveR
Wizard

Post by DaveR » Thu Jul 03, 2008 22:22

This works really well. I had a dead H1 today that when booted displayed ERROR followed by E.BOOTING and then it froze. The recovery tool worked perfectly, and the update almost worked the first time. The update got as far as 41:42 and then froze. So I ran the remote updater again and hey presto! The H1 is working again! 8)
cheers
DaveR

IceTV, T4, T3, T2, P2, S1, FV-L1(P1 fw), TRF-2460, HDR-7500 and Skippa

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Fri Jul 04, 2008 01:05

Sounds like that particular H1 has a failing motherboard or the flash chip itself is failing. I would suggest letting it cool down overnight and giving it a reflash while it's cold. Then let it warm up and give it another reflash. If anyone one of those flash procedures fail, chalk it up as an intermittent fault and have it replaced.

A bit of cosmic radiation can occasionally corrupt the flash, which may explain the first failure, but to have it happen again during a reflash is unlikely.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:13

I was going to add this to the FAQ, but as Kezza has a sticky on upgrading, I think it would be good to have this incorporated there and I can link to the sticky..... let me know & I'll amend the FAQ accordingly.
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 13:11

Hi, Ian.

In your notes to Steven's procedure for Remote Update, you say:
IanSav wrote:RemoteUpdate does not work with Windows 7. If you need to use this program please run it from a Windows XP based PC. Beyonwiz are looking into the problem.
Have you heard of any progress on getting RemoteUpdater to work on Win7 from Beyonwiz? Have they done anything more than "looking"?

I've tried using a WinXP Live CD on my Mac (with rEFIt), but it doesn't appear to recognise the Ethernet hardware on my Mac (possibly it needs the drivers in BootCamp to do so). Does anyone know of an XP LiveCD that will recognise the Ethernet hardware on a MacBook Pro (2.26GHz)?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Jan 14, 2012 15:29

Hi Peter,

I suspect that Beyonwiz have *long* forgotten this issue. It is the small details and finesse that Steven used to look after. Since he left all this sort of effort seems to have been put on the back burner.

As I have no Mac experience I don't know what to suggest.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 15:39

Thanks, Ian. The Mac bit was intended more generally than just to you. Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 18:05

prl wrote:I've tried using a WinXP Live CD on my Mac (with rEFIt), but it doesn't appear to recognise the Ethernet hardware on my Mac (possibly it needs the drivers in BootCamp to do so). Does anyone know of an XP LiveCD that will recognise the Ethernet hardware on a MacBook Pro (2.26GHz)?
Try building an XP virtual machine from your CD or ISO. I use VirtualBox, it's free. It will handle all the drivers, networking, etc. I've run XP and Windows Server 2003 as VM's via Virtualbox on quite a few flavours of OS and hardware, a Sun Workstation running Red Hat Enterprise Linux for example.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 18:21

Luke wrote:
prl wrote:... Does anyone know of an XP LiveCD that will recognise the Ethernet hardware on a MacBook Pro (2.26GHz)?
Try building an XP virtual machine from your CD or ISO. I use VirtualBox, it's free. It will handle all the drivers, networking, etc. I've run XP and Windows Server 2003 as VM's via Virtualbox on quite a few flavours of OS and hardware, a Sun Workstation running Red Hat Enterprise Linux for example.
Thanks, Luke. But the slight problem there is my not having a Win XP installer :)

By best hope at the moment is that a neighbour may have an XP machine that I can use to do the job. But the neighbours who might have such a machine and who I'd feel comfortable asking are away on holidays at the moment. Or perhaps I can scrounge a Win XP installer from someone who's moved on to bigger & better things.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 18:31

prl wrote:I've tried using a WinXP Live CD
VirtualBox handles Live CD's, though I've only run Linux Live CD's. Is it a bootable physical disc or some sort of file (like an iso)?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 18:35

Luke wrote:
VirtualBox handles Live CD's, though I've only run Linux Live CD's. Is it a bootable physical disc or some sort of file (like an iso)?
Now that's a thought. It's a bootable CD that I downloaded as an iso. The iso's a bit of an annoyance because Norton AntiVirus has declared war on one of the apps on it (a port scanner, which Norton seems to have decided is too naughty a tool to have on my computer - I see where they're coming from, but it's still annoying). So NAV keeps on deleting the scanner from the iso :roll:

But it's worth a try. Will report back.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 15:23

Hi all

Has Beyonwiz got with the times and updated programs such as RemoteUpdate to work with Windows 7 yet?

Given current frequent problems, I suspect that I need to update my DP-P2 firmware and don't have access to an XP PC anymore! Although at times I wish I did, such as with my HP printer, but that's for the HP Forum!

Thanks

Ed
Ed

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Mar 05, 2012 16:42

Hi, Corbitt. I think what IanSav said about RemoteUpdater upthread still applies.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corbitt
Apprentice

Post by Corbitt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 22:41

What is it with Hardware companies no longer supporting their products as technology also advances? Or was Windows XP the meaning to life! :)

Why can't a Beyonwiz be so smart that if it is connected to a network that it can automatically update its firmware without user intervention?

So what do I do, purchase a cheap secondhand PC running XP just to support this aging technology? Or is it time to upgrade?
Ed

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Mar 06, 2012 00:21

Hi Ed,

The Beyonwiz is fully capable of updating its firmware from a network based PC, any version as long as it offers Windows workgroup based shares. The RemoteUpdater program is only required when the Beyonwiz firmware has failed and you are unable to access the Beyonwiz SETUP menu.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:40

Hi, Ian. You describe my situation exactly :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:39

With the WizTV firmware upgrade option, you don't even need a computer in the house. Just any old router/modem that connects the Beyonwiz to the Internet will do. It's only 2 buttons presses to do the upgrade.

Beyonwiz should really take more advantage of that feature and have their WizTV server updated to provide the latest stable firmware.

Blog.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Mar 06, 2012 20:23

Hi Peter,

I was told by Beyonwiz Australia that WizTV wasn't being used for firmware updates because of the issue of selecting the correct build of firmware for the DP-P2. If this isn't the problem then why isn't the current firmware online?

Regards,
Ian.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Mar 06, 2012 21:08

Good question, given that Beyonwiz have models other than DP-P2. 8)

Blog.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 08:03

Lame excuse!

All DP-P2's can run 01.07.350.

Good ol' P2's can also run 01.05.350 which allow for .ISO and DVD folder playback. People who avail themselves of this feature are advanced users anyway and are likely capable of maintaining there 01.05. firmware regime manually.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29

prl wrote:
Luke wrote:
Now that's a thought. It's a bootable CD that I downloaded as an iso. The iso's a bit of an annoyance because Norton AntiVirus has declared war on one of the apps on it (a port scanner, which Norton seems to have decided is too naughty a tool to have on my computer - I see where they're coming from, but it's still annoying). So NAV keeps on deleting the scanner from the iso :roll:

But it's worth a try. Will report back.
I tried using the WinXP LiveCD in VirtualBox. Inside VirtualBox, WinXP does find a network interface, and Opera (on the LiveCD) can connect to the Web, but RemoteUpdater sees nothing when I do 1+2+3+4+PowerToggle on the Beyonwiz. I think the WinXP IP address sites on a different subnet from the Mac's own IP address, and perhaps that's why it doesn't get the DHCP broadcasts.

Anyway, I discovered that a friend had an old PC running XP, and I went around to her place and used RemoteUpdater to upload a new copy of the firmware into the errant DP-P2, and it's all running nicely now. I'm transferring all the recordings from my DP-H1's external recording HDD to the DP-P2. That didn't go entirely smoothly, but more about that elsewhere.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Tue Mar 13, 2012 15:19

prl wrote:I tried using the WinXP LiveCD in VirtualBox. Inside VirtualBox, WinXP does find a network interface, and Opera (on the LiveCD) can connect to the Web, but RemoteUpdater sees nothing when I do 1+2+3+4+PowerToggle on the Beyonwiz. I think the WinXP IP address sites on a different subnet from the Mac's own IP address, and perhaps that's why it doesn't get the DHCP broadcasts.
If you left the VirtualBox network setting for that VM as the default (NAT), the VM will be on a "virtual subnet" as VirtualBox is doing all the networking - http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html. If you change the Network setting (in the VirtualBox manager) to Bridged before starting the VM it will get assigned a DHCP IP by the router.
prl wrote:Anyway, I discovered that a friend had an old PC running XP, and I went around to her place and used RemoteUpdater to upload a new copy of the firmware into the errant DP-P2, and it's all running nicely now. I'm transferring all the recordings from my DP-H1's external recording HDD to the DP-P2. That didn't go entirely smoothly, but more about that elsewhere.
No need to mess about with the above then!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 15:55

Luke wrote:...If you left the VirtualBox network setting for that VM as the default (NAT), the VM will be on a "virtual subnet" as VirtualBox is doing all the networking - http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html. If you change the Network setting (in the VirtualBox manager) to Bridged before starting the VM it will get assigned a DHCP IP by the router.
I may give that a go, because ...
Luke wrote:
prl wrote:Anyway, I discovered that a friend had an old PC running XP, and I went around to her place and used RemoteUpdater to upload a new copy of the firmware into the errant DP-P2, and it's all running nicely now. I'm transferring all the recordings from my DP-H1's external recording HDD to the DP-P2. That didn't go entirely smoothly, but more about that elsewhere.
No need to mess about with the above then!
She's planning on buying a new PC which will run Win7.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 08:50

prl wrote:
Luke wrote:...If you left the VirtualBox network setting for that VM as the default (NAT), the VM will be on a "virtual subnet" as VirtualBox is doing all the networking - http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html. If you change the Network setting (in the VirtualBox manager) to Bridged before starting the VM it will get assigned a DHCP IP by the router.
I may give that a go ...
I tried it without success.

In I set the the WinXP's VM Networking setting for the adapter to "Bridged Adapter".

In the status window of RemoteUpdater I get DHCP Message: Discover repeated three times, and on the Beyonwiz, when I press 1+2+3+4+POWER, I see INITIALIZE on the front panel, then ERROR flashing rapidy for a few seconds, then E:NETWORK flashing more slowly. :(

I get the same results when the VM Network setting for Promiscuous mode is Deny and when it is Allow All.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Luke
Master

Post by Luke » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20

Oh well, was worth a try at least. Sorry I haven't got any more suggestions.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22

I guess it's just a matter of waiting for Beyonwiz to release a Win7 version. Probably a Win8 version by then :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 14:23

I have had a look at why the RemoteUpdater fails on Vista, Windows 7 and 8.

The RemoteUpdater program spawns arp.exe to add a static arp entry to allow IP communication with the Beyonwiz needing recovery.

The command issued is typically like "arp -s 192.168.255.2 00-19-1e-00-42-70".

Under Windows 7 the static arp entry seems to get added to the wrong interface, preventing packets being sent.

If you delete the incorrect entry and add it back on the correct interface the RemoteUpdater will work properly on the next attempt.

Code: Select all

C:\windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.255.1 --- 0xa
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.255.254       08-00-27-8f-90-25     dynamic
  192.168.255.255       ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static
  224.0.0.22            01-00-5e-00-00-16     static
  224.0.0.252           01-00-5e-00-00-fc     static
  239.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static
  255.255.255.255       ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static

Interface: 192.168.0.101 --- 0xb
  192.168.0.1           b8-a3-86-0b-92-c8     dynamic
  192.168.255.2         00-19-1e-00-42-70     static   <-- entry on wrong interface
  224.0.0.22            01-00-5e-00-00-16     static
  224.0.0.252           01-00-5e-00-00-fc     static
  239.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static
  255.255.255.255       ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static

# Delete wrong entry
C:\windows\system32>arp -d 192.168.255.2

# Add static arp on correct interface.
C:\windows\system32>arp -s 192.168.255.2 00-19-1e-00-42-70 192.168.255.1

C:\windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.255.1 --- 0xa         <-- ip address of right interface
  192.168.255.2         00-19-1e-00-42-73     static  <-- entry now on right interface
  192.168.255.254       08-00-27-8f-90-25     dynamic
Start and configure the RemoteUpdater.

To find the wrong entry, do a first try of "1234power".

Look for the entry containing a Beyonwiz ethernet address 00-19-1e-xx-xx-xx.

Delete the associated ip address entry.

Add the entry back and append the ip address of the correct interface on to the end of the command to force the entry onto the right interface.

Retry the "1234power" sequence.

Now works .....

sub3R
Wizard

Post by sub3R » Wed Jul 10, 2013 13:31

:) Excellent. I hope I never need it, but if I do it’s an easy fix.

Without the wiz connected directly (wiz connected directly wasn’t tried), there was one thing I noticed; I had to run the cmd prompt as administrator for arp –s & arp –d to work in Win8 & Vista, whereas these commands in XP worked without the cmd prompt being run as administrator.
Dennis
U4, Bluey USB tuner, WizTV > Yamaha RX-V3900 > Sony KDL46X2000 TV ||
U4, Bluey USB tuner > Sony KD-43X85J TV > Yamaha YAS-209 || FTA EPG ||
Harmony 650s || (U4s on 19.3.20200901 & T2 on 19.3.20200823) ||
Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem/router, Ethernet LAN, Win10 Home 64 ||

ronmcfarlane
Apprentice

Post by ronmcfarlane » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56

Hi Guys I have the Error 0000 on my fathers DP-P2 when trying to start so I have tried to use the recovery process before I went down the dead power supply path.

I am using windows 7 so am following workaround provided by IanB.

I don't seem to be able to see an entry in the arp results for the WIZ. As it is my fathers machine he would never have had this connected to a network. Could the network interface be turned off? When plugging the network cable into the router the lights on the router for that port do not come on so I assume I cannot use the recovery process and the problem is most likely power supply?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56

P2's that suddenly start with error 0000 almost certainly have lost the regulator chip on the power supply. Warkus offers very good service for repairing BW power supplies.

If the power supply is faulty the 1234Power sequence will not initiate network contact (so no wrong ARP entry to fix).

To clarify my work around procedure :-

1. Start the RemoteUpdater on the PC.
2. Do a first 1234Power sequence. (this initiates the add of the wrong entry)
3. Fix the ARP stuff on the PC
4. Do a second 1234Power sequence. (this reuses the corrected entry)

Return to “FAQs and Tips”