Is there a way to make BR-01 to control DP-P2 ?

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Corvax2012

Is there a way to make BR-01 to control DP-P2 ?

Post by Corvax2012 » Sat May 23, 2015 20:56

Hi all,

Just bought the second hand DP-P2, and it came with BR-01 remote (not BR-02 !) .

The remote doesn't seem to work with the PVR.

Is there any way I can control DP-P2 with BR-01 remote?
I know that the IR receiver works in the PVR as I am able to control it from the universal remote.
I also know that my BR-01 is good, because I can "learn" and recognise its signals using another learning remote.

It appears to me that it's just not a compatible protocol in the remote with DP-P2.

BTW, the "learned" and decoded signal has NEC1 protocol, device=190, and subdevice=0,
and if I learn the signal from the universal remote that works with my DP-P2, it says: NEC1 protocol, device=190, and subdevice=1.

I tried the "trick" of holding "1" and "OK" simultaneously, then "2"+"OK", but these actions are designed for for BR-02, and don't seen to work on my BR-01.

Any way DP-P2 can be controlled from BR-01 ?

Thanks a lot.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Is there a way to make BR-01 to control DP-P2 ?

Post by prl » Sat May 23, 2015 21:00

Corvax2012 wrote:... Any way DP-P2 can be controlled from BR-01 ?
There is a hack that allows a DP to use any of the 8 available code sets, but it doesn't affect the front panel, so you can't power it on using the "foreign" code set.

So, yes, sort-of, but not officially.

Can't you contact the seller?
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Corvax2012

Post by Corvax2012 » Sat May 23, 2015 21:31

prl wrote:
Corvax2012 wrote:... Any way DP-P2 can be controlled from BR-01 ?
There is a hack that allows a DP to use any of the 8 available code sets, but it doesn't affect the front panel, so you can't power it on using the "foreign" code set.

So, yes, sort-of, but not officially.

Can't you contact the seller?
Thanks for your reply.

I bought it from the 2nd-hand dealer, and he says that's how it came to him.
I don't think I can get anything more out of him.

Can you pls tell me more about that hack (use PM if it is a sensitive info) . I am a technical person, so don't hold back the lingo... :-)))

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sun May 24, 2015 08:18

Corvax2012 wrote: I bought it from the 2nd-hand dealer, and he says that's how it came to him.
I don't think I can get anything more out of him.
You could always upgrade to a Harmony remote that can control all your devices. If you only have a few items in your setup, a Harmony will be cheaper than a replacement BR-01. The only (minor) problem with Harmony is the learning curve to set them up - but that won't be an issue for the technically inclined.
If you wish to sell the BR-01, send me a PM.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 24, 2015 11:19

Corvax2012 wrote:...
Can you pls tell me more about that hack (use PM if it is a sensitive info) . I am a technical person, so don't hold back the lingo... :-)))
It's always been public information. The latest version of the firmware hacking kit is BWFWTools-0.2.4. If you're not running Windows, you'll also need Eric Fry's Wiz Firmware Tools Package (in C, needs to be compiled). Pre-compiled Windows versions of Eric's firmware tools package are included in BWFWTools, but you have to compile it yourself on OS X (needs XCode to do the compilation) and Linux.

Both packages have README.txt files with build instructions and Makefiles to help do the build on systems that have the Unix make command.

There is documentation for BWFWTools in its subdirectories doc (plain text) and html (HTML, not surprisingly). The advantage of the HTML version is that it has hyperlinks between documentation pages for related components.

You'll need to have perl installed, which Windows does not normally have. I've done all the Windows development and testing using ActivePerl, but other Windows perl ports may also work.

To change codesets, you need to run:
bw_patcher.pl original-firmware-package-name.wrp hacked-firmware-package-name.wrp Beyonwiz::Hack::Codeset 0

and then flash the hacked firmware package .wrp file as an "upgrade". You can undo the codeset change by flashing the original firmware .wrp.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the firmware hack does not (and cannot) change the code to power on from standby. If you don't have the original remote, you'll have to power on from the front panel.

And, of course:
Using user extensions or hacks may make your Beyonwiz unable to operate correctly, or even start. Some modifications are known to interfere with the correct functioning of the Beyonwiz.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 24, 2015 11:21

Alternatively, buy a BR-02 remote from Dealspace
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Corvax2012

Post by Corvax2012 » Sun May 24, 2015 19:41

Paul55 wrote:You could always upgrade to a Harmony remote that can control all your devices. If you only have a few items in your setup, a Harmony will be cheaper than a replacement BR-01. The only (minor) problem with Harmony is the learning curve to set them up - but that won't be an issue for the technically inclined.
If you wish to sell the BR-01, send me a PM.
Thanks Paul,

I mentioned in my original post that I am using JP1-compatible universal remote which can control my DP-P2 just fine.
I also have Harmony, and there are no issues whatsoever to control the devices I use, including DP-P2.

My question was more just out of curiosity, to see if the BR-01 can be used. It looks like it can NOT, if I am not prepared to hack the DP-P2.

I want to learn all its buttons, and then can just post it to you for no charge - if you are OK to wait a week or two, just send me ur address via PM and I will post it to you when I'm done.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 24, 2015 22:43

Corvax2012 wrote:...
My question was more just out of curiosity, to see if the BR-01 can be used. It looks like it can NOT, if I am not prepared to hack the DP-P2.
That's correct. A BR-02 can change its codeset to control a DP-P1 (or other BR-01 codeset DP), but a BR-01 can't control a DP-P2 without a hack, and even then, it's not a complete fix.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “Remote Controls”