Faults with BR-02

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Cannulator
Apprentice

Faults with BR-02

Post by Cannulator » Sun Sep 23, 2012 19:32

Hi,

It's been a while since my last visit.

My BR-02 remote has been a trusty soul until last night.

Some of the misbehaviours are:

Volume up fails (unless you push the centre of the button- sometimes- volume down ok)
Number 1 makes 4 come up on the screen.
Arrow Up doesn't work
Intermittent failure of exit, Info button and file button.

I have tried the "2" and "OK" reset but the faults remain.
Have looked through my iPhone camera so there are also some of these buttons not transmitting.

I have changed the batteries and am not n "TV" mode.

It gets treated like most remotes, especially with the handful needed to keep little kids happy. So who knows what they do to it when left alone
No serious knocks. A few marks here and there from cleaning. No spills or step ons.

However, I did get a 4 year warranty on top of my original (I purchased my DP-P2 in Mar 2010 from Hardly Normal)

I've had great tech support from Beyonwiz in the past, so I imagine this remote is stuffed.
Are remotes generally covered with extended warranties? I can't afford another 60 for a new remote (I just restarted my IceTV 3 days ago!!)

I can't think of any other reasons for the failure (apart from PCB cracks or solder problems.

Glad this place is still around!!
DP-P2
Sony KDL-40HX800
PS3
Yamaha HTR- 5750

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sun Sep 23, 2012 20:44

Hi Cannulator,

It is possible that the remote has failed from constant use.

It can't hurt to ask if your extended warranty covers the remote. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
Ian.

Cannulator
Apprentice

Post by Cannulator » Sun Sep 23, 2012 21:06

Thanks Ian!

Fingers crossed. I was more surprised that the extended warranty was still going!
DP-P2
Sony KDL-40HX800
PS3
Yamaha HTR- 5750

Sir Lancelot
Master

Post by Sir Lancelot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:46

If your remote is not replaced under warranty, instead of paying $60 for a new Beyonwiz remote, buy the Logitech Harmony 650 remote from JB HiFI for $45. You will not be disappointed.

Regards

Lance

Cannulator
Apprentice

Post by Cannulator » Tue Sep 25, 2012 08:53

Thanks Lance, Ill keep that one in mind.

It is covered and went off ysterday in the post to POWR Electronicd in Sydney.

Apparently Hardly Normals Extended warranty people use this mob, even though I explained I had spoke to the Beyonwiz guys and they saod that they aren't repairable only replaceable.

So if they want to splurge on costs more than the device is worth then let them!
DP-P2
Sony KDL-40HX800
PS3
Yamaha HTR- 5750

Cannulator
Apprentice

Post by Cannulator » Wed Oct 10, 2012 23:21

So 12 days later got my remote back.

Told that the Ceramic Crystal had to be replaced--often happens from ongoing trauma I've read-- drops, wear and tear, two yo kids.

However, what appears to have turned up is a 'new' remote. In excellent condition.

Lucky me I thought.

However, now I can't turn the PVR on with it. 1 in 20 works without a repeatable pattern.
Every other button works like a charm

The same Standby button turns the PVR off without a hitch. Which is even more confusing!

So unless my eleven month old's attractiveness to the big blue light on the front of the PVR has something to do with it, it's back to the phones in morning!
DP-P2
Sony KDL-40HX800
PS3
Yamaha HTR- 5750

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 15:48

Cannulator wrote:...

However, now I can't turn the PVR on with it. 1 in 20 works without a repeatable pattern.
Every other button works like a charm

The same Standby button turns the PVR off without a hitch. Which is even more confusing!
That sounds more like a front panel board problem than a remote problem.
Cannulator wrote:...
So unless my eleven month old's attractiveness to the big blue light on the front of the PVR has something to do with it, it's back to the phones in morning!
The big blue light on your Beyonwiz is attracted to your eleven-month-old? :shock: ;)

On a more serious note, the remote sensor on your DP-P2 isn't in the big button, though it is fairly close to it, in the top right corner of the clear part of the front panel where the display is. You should be able to see it easily if you shine a torch into the display area of the front panel. It's a silver rectangle with a round dark bump on it. If you can't see it, then that is probably a problem.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Remote Controls”