Logitech Harmony 1000 charging problem

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Maindee
Master

Logitech Harmony 1000 charging problem

Post by Maindee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 16:13

Hi

I am having a problem with the charging base unit for my Harmony 1000. One of the two copper connnections (which I think are spring loaded) has sunk to a position just below the surface which means that contact with the remote itself is not being made.

I cannot see a way of opening the base unit so I am currently using just a piece of copper wire laid across the terminal to build it up to a point where contact with the remote can be made. This of course is just a temporary solution. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a more permanent meaure. I have thought that perhaps a small blob of solder on the contact might work - not that I could do it myself.

I have already sent a note to Logitech to see if I can purchase the base unit separately and await a reply - somehow I have my doubts that these are sold separately.

Thinking of buying, perhaps someone out there has a defunct remote but a working base unit that they could sell to me.

If non of this works then I will be off to buy the Harmony One or something similar. Somehow the 1100i doesn't appeal given the above problem.

Cheers

download
Guru

Re: Logitech Harmony 1000 charging problem

Post by download » Wed Apr 27, 2011 16:16

Solder sounds like a good idea. Just yellow pages a TV repair store in your area and wander down. Presumably they could apply the fix on the spot for $10.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 27, 2011 17:21

Hi Maindee,

Can you hook the contact with a piece of cotton and pull it back into position?
Is the unit still under warranty?

By the way, while I sympathise with your difficulty it would have been preferred if you created your post in the appropriate area of the forum. Hopefully a moderator can move this to the Off Topic Discussion area.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 19:32

I'm not sure why a post about a problem with a remote control is off topic in the Remote Controls section.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Apr 27, 2011 20:16

Hi Peter,

Do you see any relevance or interaction with *anything* Beyonwiz in this thread? This is a Beyonwiz forum that has kindly provided us with a specific area for off topic (non-Beyonwiz) discussions. It would be easier for those who come later if we try to keep things appropriately relevant.

Regards,
Ian.

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 20:35

Sorry for posting in the wrong section - I hadn't realised that this section was limited to Beyonwiz remote controls.

Ian - the unit is out of warranty, and I will look at your suggestion of using a piece of cottton, but doubt that it will work because of a lack of space.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 23:12

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,

Do you see any relevance or interaction with *anything* Beyonwiz in this thread? This is a Beyonwiz forum that has kindly provided us with a specific area for off topic (non-Beyonwiz) discussions. It would be easier for those who come later if we try to keep things appropriately relevant.

Regards,
Ian.
Ummm... so Logitech or Philips remotes are off-limits here?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 28, 2011 00:46

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:Ummm... so Logitech or Philips remotes are off-limits here?
If the discussion is not about using them to control or work with a Beyonwiz product then I would suggest that the Off Topic Discussion area would be far more appropriate. This area of the forum is called "Wiz Tech" after all.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Re: Logitech Harmony 1000 charging problem

Post by prl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15

Maindee wrote:...
I cannot see a way of opening the base unit ...
Back on topic for a bit ... While almost certainly a charging cradle, the cradle for my Harmony 785 appears to have a screw recess hidden under the manufacturer's compliance/serial number label on the back of the charger. You can often find these recesses by rubbing the label with the end of a thumbnail. If the label presses down in a small circle, there's likely a screw recess behind the label there.

I don't know if my 785 cradle comes apart just by undoing that one screw, but it may be worthwhile looking for something similar under any labels on the back of your 1000.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23

IanSav wrote:Hi Peter,
prl wrote:Ummm... so Logitech or Philips remotes are off-limits here?
If the discussion is not about using them to control or work with a Beyonwiz product then I would suggest that the Off Topic Discussion area would be far more appropriate. This area of the forum is called "Wiz Tech" after all.

Regards,
Ian.
The generally flaky nature of the contacts on Logitech charging cradles has already been discussed here in Remote Controls. In a topic that was started to discuss new Logitech remote control models.

I simply think you're being overly dogmatic about where discussions should be posted. I think that the Remote Controls section is a perfectly good place to post about problems with remote controls, even if the discussion comes about because the remote is part of someone's home entertainment system that just happens to include a Beyonwiz.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:46

Hi Peter,

We will have to agree to disagree. I feel that off topic threads dilute a forum and make it harder for new comers to browse/find relevant information in the appropriately sectioned areas.

I am happy I am not a moderator. Retrospectively cleaning up a forum that has become bogged down with debris from unrelated threads in inappropriately areas is a horrible job.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 16:48

Hi, Ian. With six active non-sticky topics in the past year, I doubt the Remote Controls area is likely to be bogged down by anything.

That said, we clearly are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, and see what the mods do with the topic.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Maindee
Master

Post by Maindee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 18:15

Peter Said: " While almost certainly a charging cradle, the cradle for my Harmony 785 appears to have a screw recess hidden under the manufacturer's compliance/serial number label on the back of the charger. You can often find these recesses by rubbing the label with the end of a thumbnail. If the label presses down in a small circle, there's likely a screw recess behind the label there."

I tried this and yes I could feel a recess under the label on the back. When I pealed back the label there are actual 3 holes - a central oval hole and a rectangular one on either side. They are quite deep and I can only just see the bottom - but alas no screws. There is an obvious join around the periphery which I think is heat sealed so that people like me don't go meddling about.

I will continue with the idea of a blob of solder on the copper contact.

Thanks again everyone fpor there replies.

fat
Apprentice

Post by fat » Tue May 03, 2011 19:21

I have a 1000 and I have recently changed over to a 900 witht he RF kit. If you can't repair it I would seriously consider the 900 as a replacement. The only issue I had with it was that I was not able to transfer my settings from the 1000 to the 900 and it made me create a new account whcih was a royal PITA with all of the crap that I have. take a look at Logitechshop.com.au they are dirt cheap.

Hope you are able to fix the cradle

Return to “Remote Controls”