Harmony; Which one

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

ad
Master

Harmony; Which one

Post by ad » Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:43

Which Harmony Remote is the best for the Beyonwiz? Would it be the Harmony One or its much cheaper brother/sister (got to be politically correct) the Harmony 600.

Cheers

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:46

As they are all using the same software they are functionally similar so it comes down to personal preference, eg colour screen or not, dedicated coloured buttons, etc.

I have also moved this topic to the correct area on the forum.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 14:11

The coloured buttons on the 600 would probably be the decider for me. The coloured buttons are so heavily used in the Beyonwiz GUI that you'd have to dedicate soft buttons for them on the One. The One also has only three soft-programmable buttons, even if they're on a touch screen, so you couldn't even get the four coloured buttons onto a single page of soft buttons on it. They're both, IMO, a giant leap backward from our 785 :)

For controlling our setup while using the Beyonwiz on the 785, I have three screens of six soft buttons set up; the most commonly used six are on the first page of buttons (Eject, WizTV, Subtitle, LiveTV, FilePlayer, List). On reflection, I should probably replace the Eject soft button, since we no longer have an S1 :).

The 600's B/W screen would be fine for me. Apart from the activity icons, the 785 makes hardly any use of the fact that it has a coloured screen.

About the only downside of the 600 that I can see is that it doesn't come with a rechargeable battery and charging cradle.

The 600 is the same price as the Beyonwiz 6-in-1, and I'd take the 600 any time.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

capnstoobie
Master

Post by capnstoobie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 20:46

prl wrote:The coloured buttons on the 600 would probably be the decider for me. The coloured buttons are so heavily used in the Beyonwiz GUI that you'd have to dedicate soft buttons for them on the One. The One also has only three soft-programmable buttons, even if they're on a touch screen, so you couldn't even get the four coloured buttons onto a single page of soft buttons on it. They're both, IMO, a giant leap backward from our 785 :)
I've got the Harmony One, and it has 6 soft buttons on the lcd screen at once - ie you can have your 4 coloured buttons plus 2 more programmable buttons on the same screen. Maybe you are thinking about "Activities" as only 3 are allowed per screen.

I had an earlier Harmony and upgraded to the One because the feel of the buttons was much better. Having soft buttons for colours is only a minor disadvantage as I have reprogrammed some hard buttons as 2 of the colours (for quickly deleting recordings and for setting edit marker points in a recording).

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Sep 25, 2010 21:53

The other thing to be aware of they have a limit on the number of devices they will use and some recent models have a fairly low number.
Cheers
Gully

Return to “Remote Controls”