Universal Remotes

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Raid
Master

Universal Remotes

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 30, 2010 13:17

As I see it one of the main advantages of universal remotes is their ability to have one tough buttons. For example if, I would have a ?TV On/Off?, ?Radio On/Off? etc, so the power on off of all devices required is sequenced correctly. This way the user doesn?t need to know how it works, it will look after it for them (something for the non-technical user).

If I had one button for TV it would turn on the Wiz, AVR and the TV. The problem as I see it is what happens if the Wiz is already running? The Wiz could already be recording a program when a user presses the TV on button and it would cause the Wiz to turn off when the current recording is completed. Does anybody know a way around this problem for the non-technical user?
T3-500GB
Panasonic TX-32LXD700A, Yamaha RX-A1060 & BD-A1060; Asus RT-N56U; QNAP TS-451/TS-410 NAS.

grampus
Wizard

Re: Universal Remotes

Post by grampus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 13:53

Raid wrote: If I had one button for TV it would turn on the Wiz, AVR and the TV. The problem as I see it is what happens if the Wiz is already running? The Wiz could already be recording a program when a user presses the TV on button and it would cause the Wiz to turn off when the current recording is completed. Does anybody know a way around this problem for the non-technical user?
Under this circumstance, the Wiz has a pop up that allows you to choose it to power down later, now, or not at all.
The length of time the pop up is presented is enough to allow a screen to cycle up, and the pop up visible. Allowing you to make the decision.

When I powerup, using my Harmony, I wait till its all settled down, and then right arrow twice to choose never.
Screen: Panasonic TH-60ST60A; BeyonWiz U4; T3; Panasonic BD-35 Blu_Ray player

Gully

Post by Gully » Fri Apr 30, 2010 13:57

With my Harmony, I just don't let it power on or off and then do it manually when I want it done.
Cheers
Gully

prl
Wizard God

Re: Universal Remotes

Post by prl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 13:59

Raid wrote:As I see it one of the main advantages of universal remotes is their ability to have one tough buttons. For example if, I would have a ?TV On/Off?, ?Radio On/Off? etc, so the power on off of all devices required is sequenced correctly. This way the user doesn?t need to know how it works, it will look after it for them (something for the non-technical user).

If I had one button for TV it would turn on the Wiz, AVR and the TV. The problem as I see it is what happens if the Wiz is already running? The Wiz could already be recording a program when a user presses the TV on button and it would cause the Wiz to turn off when the current recording is completed. Does anybody know a way around this problem for the non-technical user?
Use the Beyonwiz PowerToggle, EXIT for power-up and the Beyonwiz PowerToggle (or PowerOff), OK for power down :)

If the Beyonwiz is making a recording (or about to start making one) when you want to power everything on, the EXIT cancels the "Do you want to power off now?" popup, and the Beyonwiz keeps running.

If the Beyonwiz is making a recording (or doing a copy from the GUI) when you power down, the OK answers Later (after the recording/copy finishes) to the "Do you want to power off now?" popup, which is usually what you want to do.

Does that answer the question?

This is treated at some length in Optimal Power Settings for Harmony Remotes, which is about settings for Harmony remotes, but the button sequences should work for anything. The power-on sequence in the first post will also work, but PowerToggle, EXIT is shorter and does the same thing, as bohemian points out in the following post.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Raid
Master

Post by Raid » Tue May 04, 2010 13:28

Thank you Peter, this is what I needed.
T3-500GB
Panasonic TX-32LXD700A, Yamaha RX-A1060 & BD-A1060; Asus RT-N56U; QNAP TS-451/TS-410 NAS.

Return to “Remote Controls”