Optimal Power Settings for Harmony Remotes

Remote Control questions, tips and TV Codes.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Scumbag
Apprentice

Optimal Power Settings for Harmony Remotes

Post by Scumbag » Mon Jan 21, 2008 22:38

The December firmware (01.05.192) adds smarter control of the PVR when you attempt to power-off while recording.

It is now possible to implement discrete power-on and power-off behavior - though it seems a bit messy.

I've configured this sequence of commands for Power-On:
  • PowerToggle,
    DirectionRight,
    DirectionRight,
    Select
and, this sequence of commands for Power-Off:
  • PowerToggle,
    Select
When you attempt to power-off while recording, it will automatically select "Later" - which will then shutdown the PVR on completion of the recordings.
If you power-on the device while it is still on (therefore still recording), it will issue the commands to cancel the automatic power-off.
Of course if the PVR is already off, then it will ignore the subsequent commands. Similarly if you are not recording anything, then it will ignore the commands following the power-off instruction.

This command sequence works fine for me. I hope these instructions are useful to others.

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Tue Jan 22, 2008 00:48

I can simplify your commands a little . It is not necessary to manually select the later option.
The bwiz automatically selects that after a minute or so if you leave the popup warning on the screen.

And the Power on sequence can be simplified to just:

Power toggle

Exit (exit cancels the popup)

Anyway you motivated me to give it a go so I have configured my simplfied Power on sequence and it is now easier for other users in the house .

Previously the popup would appear and then I would be asked which option do I choose

Now the remote chooses for them :)
The wise learn from the mistakes of others.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Scumbag
Apprentice

Post by Scumbag » Tue Jan 22, 2008 17:05

bohemian wrote:I can simplify your commands a little . It is not necessary to manually select the later option.
The bwiz automatically selects that after a minute or so if you leave the popup warning on the screen.
This may complicate things if you decide to turn-on again within that minute.
bohemian wrote:And the Power on sequence can be simplified to just:
Power toggle
Exit (exit cancels the popup)
I think I tried that originally, but then found the PVR was automatically switching off after the recordings where complete. Specifically it didn't cancel the already scheduled power-off.
Anyway, I might have to look at that again. Thanks for the feedback.

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Wed Jan 23, 2008 14:47

I just did some tests and didnt get any unexpected results using my methods.

I originally tried your Power-On sequence:

PowerToggle,
DirectionRight,
DirectionRight,
Select ( No )

I already had my plasma on so I could watch the romote commands move the cursor.

I then realised if the romote codes got interupted somehow and one of the Direction right commands was missed, then the cursor would finish on the the Yes turn off now option and if the select command was then sent, the bwiz would cancel the recordings and turn off.

. . . Then I remembered that sending a EXIT command would romove the Popup warning.

bohemian wrote: I can simplify your commands a little . It is not necessary to manually select the later option.
Scumbag then wrote:This may complicate things if you decide to turn-on again within that minute.
This isnt a problem because in this case the Power toggle is ignored by the bwiz and the EXIT command romoves the warning popup so you can continue to use your bwiz

It would good if you could test my confguration and confirm it works ok.

DP-S1 + DP-P1

gnoop
Apprentice

Newbie Help

Post by gnoop » Sat Apr 19, 2008 08:25

Can I please clarify that this is the way I should programme the remote to avoid the messy on/off timer problems:

When you start this Activity, the remote will ensure your system is set up as follows:

Device Status / Actions
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder Beyonwiz DVD Recorder is on
Sony TV Sony TV is on
Onkyo AV Receiver-Room 1 Onkyo AV Receiver-Room 1 is on
Other All other devices are off
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder Beyonwiz DVD Recorder is set to "Tuner"
Sony TV Sony TV is set to "HDMI1"
Onkyo AV Receiver-Room 1 Onkyo AV Receiver-Room 1 is set to "VCR/DVR"
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder "PowerToggle" command is sent to the Beyonwiz DVD Recorder
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder "DirectionRight" command is sent to the Beyonwiz DVD Recorder
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder "DirectionRight" command is sent to the Beyonwiz DVD Recorder
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder "Select" command is sent to the Beyonwiz DVD Recorder

Before the devices are turned off, leaving the Watch PVR Activity does the following:

Device Action
Beyonwiz DVD Recorder "PowerToggle" command is sent to the Beyonwiz DVD Recorder

This has not worked for me.

bohemian
Master

Post by bohemian » Sat Apr 19, 2008 15:05

NOTE: the following romote control setup assumes the bwiz has been upgraded to December 01.05.192 firmware or later.

gnoop, I use the very simple method which I posted earlier. The purpose of the following romote comand is to clear the popup warning when a user tries to turn the bwiz on , but it is already on and recording..

I dont see the need to add any extra turning off commands, because the warning that pops up if the bwiz is recording handles the situation on its own.

A more detailed description of what I have done:

Run the Harmony romote software:

Select Settings for the activity then,

Review the settings for this Activity then,

Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity then

I just click Save and go though the next couple of screens till I get to:

Please review the actions for your Watch TV Activity:
When you enter this Activity, these devices are turned on and the following actions occur:

Then I used Add action for and selected the Beyonwiz

then select Add then

select Exit or Cancel from the drop down list and then saved the changes.

For the Beyonwiz Device , I have the power settings set to:
want to turn off this device when it's not in use
and the next screen;
One button on the remote for turning it both On and Off which is Power Toggle

Save the new settings to the romote control.

They are the only commands I have set up for the beyonwiz and it works fine :)

DP-S1 + DP-P1

Scumbag
Apprentice

Re: Newbie Help

Post by Scumbag » Tue Jul 22, 2008 17:55

gnoop wrote:Can I please clarify that this is the way I should programme the remote to avoid the messy on/off timer problems:

This has not worked for me.
Sorry about the delayed response.

But you need to modify the options of the Beyonwiz Device (not the Watch TV activity).

Under the device settings, change the power options, and tell it that you have separate codes for turning the device on and off. You're then asked to describe the code (or sequence of codes) that implements the Power On and Power Off function.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 06:40

I've just bought a Harmony 785 (no more whinginging from me about the AP-U1 :)), and I'm trying to set up the Power On/Off as separate codes, but the Mac version of the Logitech Remote software that I have (7.5.0) doesn't seem to have any power off code (neither as PowerOff or Power2).

Does anyone else have a Mac and a 785, and if so, do you see the discrete off code in the code selection menus?

Is there some way that I can enter the hex code for it, or do I need to contact Logitech support?

Only a couple of other minor things about the default setup for the Beyonwiz on the 785 (at least for the Mac version) for Watch TV.
  • The Menu button defaults to SETUP, not POPUP, and there's no POPUP soft button - made SETUP a soft button on the second page, and made Menu into POPUP.
  • No File Player button :!: ; moved Text soft button to page 2, put File Player as soft button on page 1.
  • No WizTV button. Moved FrameAdvance (slow fwd) to page 2 and replaced it with WizTV.
I set up a Watch a DVD activity, but I can't see much point to it. Should the >>| and |<< buttons be bound to Advance and Replay (as they are in the Watch TV defailts) or to SkipForward and SkipBackward (as they are, sort of, in Watch a DVD)?

Other than those minor things, it's great so far.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 18:12

I had a reply from Logitech earlier this afternoon (< 12 hours response time - I'm impressed). From the email reply from them, it appears that the Power2 code is made available on a user-by-user basis. That seems odd, but I have Power2 now.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “Remote Controls”