Is Beyonwiz T3 right for me?

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Glennie
Apprentice

Is Beyonwiz T3 right for me?

Post by Glennie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10

Hello everybody. I am new to the forum and although I have searched the topics I still have some questions to ask of you if you don't mind. I think that what I want to do is possible but I need reassurance that it will work as I envisage.

I currently own a Tivo (groan) absolutely sick of it as I can no longer download programs to my computer with iTivo and archive them as I once could. A feature that has been broken for about two years.

I want to know if I can:

Play common video file types from my NAS such as .AVI Mpeg4 and .iso From what I have read, the answer is yes. A word case scenario would be if it cannot play some formats then either forget them or recode them to some other format.

I plan to get a diskless unit and put a disk in myself. 3-4TB would seem to be a good size (V8 is better than 4 cylinder!) I thought a WD RED 4TB would do the job. Not sure of its rotational speed but I think it is 7200rpm. That is a bit needless so can you recommend some good 5900rpm alternatives?
I Have used the Seagate 4TB Drives in my ReadyNAS 104 like this http://www.mwave.com.au/product/seagate ... ve-ab50758 and have had no trouble in 12 months.

My NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 with a Marvell processor which doesn's support transcoding, will that be a problem?

The ReadyNAS 104 does have an Plex Server App though which I thought will be handy to use with the T3. Does the T3 have a Plex client Plug-in? I cannot see one anywhere. Are there any other Plug-ins that will do the same job utilising the Plex server on the NAS? I like the look of the glossy slickness of the Plex client which I have used on my Mac.

If I were able to use a suitable plug-in on the T3, would it be smooth and quick or clunky and a pain to use. I have used my OPPO Blu-Ray to access movies on my ReadyNAS but it is a pain in the posterior, so slow and clunky with heaps of slow speed scrolling through lists of movies.

Can I use a Bluetooth keyboard like the Logitech K400R with the T3 to make entering data easy?

I am sorry I have posed so many questions but I need to know if the T3 is "the one" for me.

regards,

Glennie
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Rx: Yamaha RX-V2700
Front Spkrs: Krix Neuphonix
Centre: Krix Epicentrix
Sub: Krix Seismix 5
Surround: Bose 101's ?
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
Disc Spinner: Oppo BDP-95
PVR: Beyonwiz T3
PVR: TiVo HD
Turntable: Sonab 85S
ReadyNAS 104

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: Is Beyonwiz T3 right for me?

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:00

Playing common file types:
Yes. T3 is quite capable in that regard. It understands most file formats and codecs, and does a decent job of playing them.
You may run into dramas with stuff that is particularly high bitrate, and I am not sure how it copes with the HD audio formats. It is fine with regular Dolby/DTS/AAC though. The T3 can downsample multichannel audio to stereo PCM. The T3 can also now display a large variety of output resolutions and framerates and will adapt the output to suit the source should you need it to.

Disks:
The T3s generally come with WD Green drives.
In all honesty, you can put whatever SATA drive in there that suits you. Pick something quiet and you're set. Some people like the idea of putting in a NAS or a surveillance drive, but I'd just say get something quiet. Your'e only going to need to be able to sustain a 25MB/s or so when the thing is operating at full tilt, so it doesn't need to be fast.
You can even just put a small drive in the T3 for timeshifting and general storage, and then send all of your recordings directly to the NAS if you want.

Note: The T3 has a standby mode where it leaves everything running except the video/audio outputs, and does not decode a live video stream or timeshift. You can set the disk to spin down while inactive in this mode if you like so it doesn't run 24/7.

Plex:
It has a plugin, and it mostly works. When I installed it on mine, it crashes when I try to browse my TV series collection. Not sure why exactly. It is not super-pretty, but does the basic stuff you'd expect of a Plex client.

The regular media browser is very basic looking, but you can connect to SMB/NFS/DLNA shares all quite easily.

The T3 has a DLNA server to serve recordings to your network, or you can play the recordings straight off the harddisk (it can be shared as a SMB folder), or even off the T3's WebUI.

Input Peripherals:
The T3 will not talk to a bluetooth device as it doesn't have a bluetooth stack installed (to my knowledge). If you have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard that has a smart USB dongle, that just presents itself to the T3 as a regular USB mouse/keyboard, then that will work just fine.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 15:18

Thanks for replying MrQuade,

Re playing common file types:
I shouldn’t have to downsample to stereo as My Yamaha RX (Oldish as it is) should be able to handle anything I might need.

Disks:
Have used WD greens before and found them good. No matter which brand you use, someone else will have had a failure.

T3 in standby mode:
If you set the disk to spin down in standby so it doesn’t run all the time, are you saying that the T3 won’t record programs?

Plex:
I really wanted to be able to see a slick and polished display with Metadata and artwork. I will have to give it some thought. Could you enlighten me a bit further on it please?

Can you navigate through the media browser quickly. (I suppose that you answered this question before really)

Input Peripherals:
I was looking at a bluetooth product but I don’t think it would work. Logitech have a K400R Wireless touch keyboard that has a unifying receiver. It is supposed to work with Windows (most varieties) but doesn’t say anything else. perhaps other T3 owners have had some experience with keyboards that work for them.
I don’t even know whether I need a keyboard, just anticipating that I might.

Once again thanks for replying as quickly as you did.

Regards,

Glennie
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Dec 11, 2014 15:40

Glennie wrote:I shouldn’t have to downsample to stereo as My Yamaha RX (Oldish as it is) should be able to handle anything I might need.
You may find you will still have to downsample AAC, as that is not one that even modern receivers can handle. Unfortunately, the T3 can't convert to a compatible multichannel format...only stereo.
Glennie wrote:If you set the disk to spin down in standby so it doesn’t run all the time, are you saying that the T3 won’t record programs?
It will spin the disk up when needed, just as a PC would.
Glennie wrote:I really wanted to be able to see a slick and polished display with Metadata and artwork. I will have to give it some thought. Could you enlighten me a bit further on it please?
You do get all the artwork and menus from Plex. But it doesn't look quite as slick as say the Android client, or the regular web interface. The screens are fairly static and not super responsive (no animations for example). But there is no trouble with the artwork and descriptions etc. As I said, it does crash any time I try to view my TV collection. Don't know why just yet. I installed a version of the client that I located from another forum. It might be that the more recent version has issues with the T3 and is more suited to another model of Enigma STB.
Glennie wrote:Can you navigate through the media browser quickly. (I suppose that you answered this question before really)
It is reasonably fast. It is more or less the same as navigating folders on a PC, just with a remote, and the inherent lag. There are numerous shortcuts to page up and down and go to the start or end of a large folder, so I don't find it particularly bothersome. You can also set up bookmarks that can be accessed with a button press, and these will take you straight to a bookmarked folder.
Glennie wrote:Logitech have a K400R Wireless touch keyboard that has a unifying receiver.
Hard to tell with that one. It doesn't look like it is bluetooth, but some other thing that Logitech has cooked up. It does have software for managing what devices that can connect to it, but it is not clear if once set, the receiver can be used like a normal plug-in mouse/kb. You'll have to wait for feedback from someone who has tried it.

You'll probably find that you don't need to enter text very often at all. I don't, but I also rarely set up custom folders, or manage my recordings to a fine degree. If you were otherwise keen on the T3, I'd say just go for it, and see if you need one later. Note too, that if you want to make folders, or muck about with files on the T3, you can always just do so over the network from a PC. The T3 is pretty much just open to the network and you can hack away to your heart's content.

IanB
Wizard

Post by IanB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 16:59

The T3 is a dedicated linux box running an improved and customised versions of the Enigma 2 software very popular in European PVR's. Raw Enigma 2 has been crafted by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. The Beyonwiz take on that is to smooth out the geek and make it acceptable for regular people. We are not quite there yet but every new firmware brings use closer. i.e. WAF can be low.

With regards to Bluetooth Keyboard, I had a go at getting that to work with a very early version of the firmware via a cambridge USB BT dongle. The bluetooth environment was available and worked but I couldn't get the Keyboard HID driver to actually pair with the keyboard, really close but no cigar. I gave up on the bluetooth and used a regular wireless USB keyboard, works great. I haven't tried again with recent firmware.

As for disks, go for the quietest and coldest one you can find with the best guarantee. Speed is not an issue. With 8+ recordings, plus playback, plus network file copy only needs 25 Megabytes per second. Turning Timeshift buffers into saved Recordings is about the only task that will saturate the disk but that is well managed as a background task, the sata interface seems well capable of pushing over 100 Megabytes per second with a high performance (noisy) disk.

The T3 will serve it's hardisk to a local network via Samba, NFS and DLNA. Getting connections from your PC's and NAS requires some channelling of your inner geek, but once setup the network file store is a transparent extension of the internal hard-disk file store.

So far the T3 just plays any .mkv, .mp4 or .avi I have. Some people have reported trouble with some .avi files, but I have not witnessed the problem.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 22:11

Glennie wrote:I currently own a Tivo
You poor soul.
Play common video file types from my NAS such as .AVI Mpeg4 and .iso
Yes and more.
I plan to get a diskless unit and put a disk in myself. 3-4TB would seem to be a good size
Installing your own HDD should not be a problem, but please do look up my posts on how to do it properly. There are a few tricks with cable routing to ensure that the internal cabling does not interfere with the front panel touch sensitive controls. You also want to make sure that you don't run the cables over the hottest parts of the power supply. If you are at all in doubt, just order a unit with the HDD pre-installed. The extra few dollars are probably worth it once you take into consideration your time (especially at this time of the year!)
I thought a WD RED 4TB would do the job. Not sure of its rotational speed but I think it is 7200rpm. That is a bit needless so can you recommend some good 5900rpm alternatives?
Pretty much any size and any speed SATA HDD will be just fine. Lower RPM is better than high-performance drives because it will generate less noise and less heat, yet still be fast enough. The T3 is known to work with drives ranging from 160GB 2.5" 5400 RPM drives to 6TB 3.5" drives. I was running mine with a 1TB SSD for a day or two. It works. When I did that, I used the setup menu to turn off the fan for a totally silent solution. Unlike most PCs, the T3 can handle very large disks without any trickery. It takes less than 30 seconds to format a 4TB drive.
My NAS is a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 with a Marvell processor which doesn's support transcoding, will that be a problem?
Should be fine. In fact the T3 can act as a simple NAS media server and a DLNA server too.
The ReadyNAS 104 does have an Plex Server App though which I thought will be handy to use with the T3. Does the T3 have a Plex client Plug-in?
Yes, The T3 does have a Plex client.

In my experience, Plex is an unreliably piece of sh^h^h software that is not worth the hassle. Sure, if the Plex server side works for you, it may deliver some bling, but good luck getting the server working, or Dog forbid, getting any help from the Plex people! Luckily, the T3 does not need anything near that complicated to work well. Simple NFS or SMB share is all you need to play all the popular formats.
Can I use a Bluetooth keyboard like the Logitech K400R with the T3 to make entering data easy?
Yes, but you don't need to go for the complexity or poor performance of Bluetooth. Any old USB connected input device tends to work. I had a very good run with a Logitech K400.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 22:30

Glennie wrote:I shouldn’t have to downsample to stereo as My Yamaha RX (Oldish as it is) should be able to handle anything I might need.
Very unlikely that your Yamaha will decode even 1/2 the advanced formats that the T3 can pass through. Luckily for you, the T3 will be able to transcode almost everything to plain old stereo for you, so you can play it. The most common formats that your Yamaha will probably do, like AC3/Dolby Digital and DTS, can be sent through as a raw bitstream and decoded by your Yamaha.
If you set the disk to spin down in standby so it doesn’t run all the time, are you saying that the T3 won’t record programs?
Nope, not at all. It will simply spin up as required.
I really wanted to be able to see a slick and polished display with Metadata and artwork. I will have to give it some thought. Could you enlighten me a bit further on it please?
Try it. Most of the problems tend to be with the Plex server end. Once that is working properly, most T3 users are happy with the Plex client.
Can you navigate through the media browser quickly.
What's quick? 50-100 files per second? Sure.
Input Peripherals
Don't fret and don't try to go fancy. Any old wireless USB keyboard intended for a computer will work. Logitech K400 definitely works and I suspect that the newer backlit USB Logitech K800 would be an excellent choice. Assuming you are willing to pay the ridiculous ~$80 for it.

Blog.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 22:36

IanB wrote:So far the T3 just plays any .mkv, .mp4 or .avi I have. Some people have reported trouble with some .avi files, but I have not witnessed the problem.
I fixed the AVI issues a month or two ago. I'm currently looking into improved compatibility with WMA and WMV files too. Once that is sorted, you'll find that the T3 will pretty much play anything that is in common use and not crippled by DRM. While not quite on par with a generic PC, the T3 stacks up very well against other hardware based media players.

Blog.

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 07:42

IanB:
Your comment: The Beyonwiz take on that is to smooth out the geek and make it acceptable for regular people. We are not quite there yet but every new firmware brings use closer. i.e. WAF can be low.

Regarding acceptance for regular people, my wife is "technologically challenged" so does not even turn the TiVo on. She leaves me to do all the "driving"
My 7 year old granddaughter, using the Harmony Ultimate has little trouble operating both the TiVo and the OPPO Blu-Ray player. So WAF should not be any more of a problem than now. What about my granddaughter? Do you think she will be able to cope? As most kids today are great with technology, so is she.

peteru:
Your comment Most of the problems tend to be with the Plex server end. Once that is working properly, most T3 users are happy with the Plex client.

I have finally got my Plex Server running well. I had all the usual issues with naming conventions, doubles of previews and some others things (cannot recall what other issues I had) but it is running well now. So from what you say I will be happy with Plex client. That is good to hear.

Your comment on myself remarking that I owned a TiVo. "You Poor soul" :lol: :lol: :lol: Like a bit of humour.

Your comment about the backlit Logitech keyboard.
I think I will forget about keyboards for the start and see if I need it later. Like the idea of backlit though.

Re installing HDD myself. Thanks for that info. I checked it out and it doesn't look difficult. I have replaced HDD's on my Tivo, several PC's and three different iMacs so I think it should not be a problem.

Does anyone know whether the Harmony Ultimate can turn off the Beyonwiz T3? Because my TiVo didn't have a dedicated power switch, the Logitech people said it couldn't be done. Something about exceeding 14 commands and having to put wait states in between commands

My next comment is probably known as a "Closer" in car sales talk. The question that comes that lets the seller know that he has all but clinched the deal.

Where do Beyonwiz T3's ship from and what could I expect as a delivery time? I have a gut feeling that they ship from overseas, not that this is a problem, just curious. Warranty issues, where are they handled? I imagine it would be in OZ.

Many thanks to everyone for answering my questions so promptly and in such detail. It shows me that in this user group there are some very enthusiastic owners.

Regards,

Glennie
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Dec 12, 2014 08:37

Glennie wrote:... Does anyone know whether the Harmony Ultimate can turn off the Beyonwiz T3? Because my TiVo didn't have a dedicated power switch, the Logitech people said it couldn't be done. Something about exceeding 14 commands and having to put wait states in between commands
I don't know about the Harmony Ultimate, but my old Harmony 785 certainly can, and you can set the T3 up so that the POWER switch goes int a Tvio-like "standby" where pretty much everything is running, or into a full shutdown that is supposed to consume < 1W.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Dec 12, 2014 08:45

No issues at all with the Harmony Ultimate.

As prl said, you can choose whether a power button press results in either Standby or "Deep Standby" modes in the T3 setup menus. The T3 can distinguish between short and long keypresses as well, so certain commands (such as the power button) can be loaded with two functions.

Wiz HQ
Site Admin

Post by Wiz HQ » Fri Dec 12, 2014 08:52

Glennie wrote:
Where do Beyonwiz T3's ship from and what could I expect as a delivery time? I have a gut feeling that they ship from overseas, not that this is a problem, just curious. Warranty issues, where are they handled? I imagine it would be in OZ.
Hi Glennie,
Welcome :). Beyonwiz ship from Sydney and is all next Biz day dispatch, delivery time is 1 -2 days Eastern Capital Cities and 3 - 5 for 90% of the rest of Aus, we ship using AUstralia Post eParcel and all is fully traceable and insured. All warranty is handled locally.

Wiz HQ
Regards,

Wiz HQ
Forum Admin

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 09:00

Glennie wrote:Regarding acceptance for regular people, my wife is "technologically challenged" so does not even turn the TiVo on. She leaves me to do all the "driving"
My 7 year old granddaughter, using the Harmony Ultimate has little trouble operating both the TiVo and the OPPO Blu-Ray player. So WAF should not be any more of a problem than now. What about my granddaughter? Do you think she will be able to cope? As most kids today are great with technology, so is she.
My 8yo son can use it to watch TV, watch saved recordings and watch movies from the NAS. My wife picked it up surprising quickly. My 6 yo struggles with it as it is very text based rather than recognisable icons (eg the word delete rather than a picture of a rubbish bin). But she can access the recordings remotely using an iPad pretty easily.
I would say that it is still quite a techy interface that improves with each firmware update, but it's not an intuitive, glossy interface. Your grand daughter should be fine once she has been shown how to use it, it's logical but it's not immediately intuitive.
Beyonwiz T4

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 09:16

Thanks prl & MrQuade,
Good to know that I will be able to do that. Scrolling through the menu and burrowing down to switch off the TiVo before I pushed the off button to switch everything else off sort of defeated the global "off" function button function. It is the little things we find most irritating.

Re: Delivery
That is great to hear WizHQ. That has nearly made my mind up. Have tentative approval from the "Domestic Financial Consultant" So will give it a bit more thought over the weekend.

Re: How intuitive it is:
Thanks simoncasey If it is half reasonable then I think I could put up with that, knowing that improvements continue to be made will make it bearable.
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 17:25

Well Christmas is almost here and everybody likes a nice Christmas present, the best presents are usually the ones you buy yourself as you know what you want. So I think I will make the decision to buy a T3 by tomorrow morning. (once I was indecisive, but now I am not so sure). In the words of those young (and I suppose American) frequenters of computer build sites, "I have this bad baby in my sights and am about to pull the trigger". (said with American accent).

Will sleep on it for now. I will let you know my decision. Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 07:02

I have slept on it and have just ordered the Beyonwiz T3 Bare with "free" extra USB tuner.

Spoke with Beyonwiz store on chat yesterday at about 5:30pm and they were most helpful in answering a few more questions. Really helpful at that time of the day when I think they would have rather gone home. I was pleasantly surprised with their customer service and attitude. They deserve to prosper with that attitude.

i will most likely be back on the site frequently in the future to keep up with information on how to do various things. Looking forward to chatting with you then.
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:11

Shipped already!
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:44

Glennie wrote:Shipped already!
Welcome to the family. :D
Cheers
Gully

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:13

Thank you
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 07:17

Today is Saturday, "Lord give me patience but please hurry".

My T3 was supposedly shipped on Tuesday morning.

Tracking showed that at on Wednesday at 08:41am shipping information was received by Auspost and at 1:39pm it was at AusPost facility at Chullora, Sydney.

Thursday evening at 07:06pm it was in AusPost facility at Sunshine West in Melbourne.

Nothing since then. Perhaps it is having a little rest. It may be truck lagged or something. Or, perhaps it is feeling upset and stressed at passing through Albury/Wodonga on the truck (it's final destination) and not being dropped off.

Having experienced Auspost tracking in the past and its lack of realtime updates it is possible that it is already in Wodonga awaiting delivery. I know Austpost are doing deliveries today, Saturday to keep up with the Christmas rush so there is hope for delivery today.

I was hopeful it might be here by today as to install it I have to basically pull everything out of my current installation to get to the back to do some antennae feed mods for the fourth tuner. A job that usually takes 2-3 hours.
Oh well I will go and do something less pleasurable like car washing, lawn mowing or play competition tiddlywinks to occupy myself while I wait.

Sigh!
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:29

So I went outside and washed cars for a couple of hours. Back inside I have just checked AustPost tracking and the T3 is at the Wodonga West mail centre. So there is a slight chance I might even get it today. Better swot up on some of the how to videos I think. 8)
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:30

So I went outside and washed cars for a couple of hours. Back inside I have just checked AustPost tracking and as at 09:55am the T3 is at the Wodonga West mail centre. So there is a slight chance I might even get it today. Better swot up on some of the how to videos I think. 8)
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:47

So now you'll have clean cars and a sparkling new T3 for Christmas!
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 04:04

I didn't post this before but the T3 turned up at about 12:40pm while we were having lunch. Perfect timing so spent the afternoon trying to get my head around it. There certainly is a bit to understand but I will get there. Washing cars have earned enough brownie points with my better half to play with setting it up now.

Now if I can only work out how to blank the T3 display when in standby mode!
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Dec 21, 2014 08:55

Glennie wrote: Now if I can only work out how to blank the T3 display when in standby mode!
Easy one.
Setup->System->Front panel settings

Then the set "Brightness (Standby)" slider to zero.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 09:02

Glennie wrote:... Now if I can only work out how to blank the T3 display when in standby mode!
Front panel display?

MENU>Setup>System>Front panel settings. Then set Brightness (Standby) to the minimum (no bar showing). The VFD display will be dark in standby.

Now all you'll have to differentiate standby from shutdown is that in shutdown there's a dim red LED lit the front panel, while in standby the LED is off. Standby will be indistinguishable visually from completely powered off at the mains.

But if that's what you want, the above is how to do it.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 15:37

Thanks for that advice fellas,
I will have a look at it a bit later on, possibly tomorrow. at present my head is done in. I have been up since about 4am fiddling with the T3 and it is now 4:15pm.

It seems a lot harder to set up than I envisaged. Having all sorts of problems and am now going around in circles.

For instance I checked out the Utube Video player and I get a picture but no sound.
I downloaded the DreamPlex plugin to use with my ReadyNAS which has a Plex server on it. I could see the Plex server but I couldn't see any videos. I hesitated in downloading the Plex video stuff to the T3 as I thought it mean't that it would download all the actual video files. I now think that it is just the metadata of the videos so I am now synchronizing it - 540 odd files to go!

I made a Favorites folder and put my channels that I wanted in it. I seemed to have made a duplicate Ch7 so I deleted one only to find that I seemed to have deleted them all but still had them all there but with LCNs? numbering from something like 568 to 600 and something. I was able to reverse this by restoring from my backup but that set me back for quite a while until I did it.

I just seem to be going around in circles at present, to much thinking! I will give it a break and come back to it tomorrow. Probably with some questions, although I will keep it to a question at a time and fix that before I go onto the next.

I have read through the FAQ's and watched the How To Videos but still not up to speed, although I think i gained some useful info from post on how to connect a Synology NAS to the T3.

I am really not finding it easy! Must be beer o'Clock!

Regards,

Glennie
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

simoncasey
Wizard

Post by simoncasey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 15:42

Try putting your feet up and watching a bit of TV.

It sometimes easy to forget why you bought something and treat it as little project :lol:

In terms of plugins and other non core features. Dont assume that they work seamlessly. They may have a bug. Post back here rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get something to work that needs a fix. A quick firmware update may be all that is needed.
Beyonwiz T4

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 16:06

I'd definitely advise against adding any plugins until you've gut everything else set up and working.

As Simon says, don't assume that plugins will necessarily work. Indeed, some are known to have (and/or cause) problems.

When you do decide to add the plugins, add them one at a time and run with the newly added plugin for a while to make sure it doesn't do anything unexpected.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 16:21

Glennie wrote:... I made a Favorites folder and put my channels that I wanted in it. I seemed to have made a duplicate Ch7 so I deleted one only to find that I seemed to have deleted them all but still had them all there but with LCNs? numbering from something like 568 to 600 and something. I was able to reverse this by restoring from my backup but that set me back for quite a while until I did it. ...
The T3 doesn't really "do" LCNs. The LCN-like numbering in Terrestrial TV LCN is a horrible kludge, and you don't get LCN-like numbering in any other bouquet.

Editing Terrestrial TV LCN (if that's what you did) is a Very Bad Idea Indeed, and, IMO, the UI shouldn't allow you to do it.

If you deleted the extra Seven service from your Favourites list rather than from Terrestrial TV LCN, I'm a bit (but not hugely) surprised that that didn't work properly. If you can describe what led to the problem I'll try to reproduce it and if I can, I'll write up a bug report.

The duplicate Seven services (and Prime services in regional areas) in Terrestrial TV LCN are real duplicates that are there in the broadcaster's data. For what reason, I know not (similarly for ABC1, which shows up as both LCN 2 and LCN 21).

Proper LCN handling has been in the wish list from before the T3's public release (Issue #228 Option to use LCNs for numbering services in Favourites & other bouquets).

You should be able to at least get numbers in your Favourites lists that aren't so absurdly large by changing MENU>Setup>TV>Channel selection>Alternative numbering mode to "on" (that should have been the default). Then all favourites lists will number starting from '1'. Terrestrial TV LCN will still pretend that it has LCN numbering.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 05:05

Thanks for your advice Peter and Simon,
I followed your advice and put my feet up and watched some TV for the evening.

Following your advice about not adding extras and plugins until I get the basics right, should I delete the DreamPlex plugin, take the T3 back to standard data (not sure how to do that, mind is still a bit numb from yesterday) and the re-do the lasted firmware update and start getting my settings back in it again rather than just restoring them from backup?

BTW, I had managed to get the DreamPlex plugin working partly before I read your posts, could play some stuff from the NAS but most had no sound. That is probably to do with how I have them saved rather than the fault of the program.

Regards,

Glennie
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 09:49

Glennie wrote:[to] take the T3 back to standard data (not sure how to do that, mind is still a bit numb from yesterday) ...
The only way to get back to exactly factory state is to reload the firmware from USB (and then do any necessary online updates).

Restoring factory settings (MENU>Setup>System>Factory reset) or restoring from a known good settings backup will get you back most of the way to the original firmware configurations, but neither will remove any plugins and there are a few other dark corners that they don't restore to the original state.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:31

Glennie wrote:could play some stuff from the NAS but most had no sound.
That's probably your downmix settings. Press the AUDIO button on your T3 remote and enable both downmix options. If you have your T3 hooked up to an AVR using HDMI or SPDIF and your AVR supports AC3 and DTS, you may want to disable "Digital downmix". Leave the downmix options enabled if you are connecting directly to a TV.

Most people should leave "AAC downmix" enabled - there's virtually no equipment that will properly decode multichannel AAC.

Blog.

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 15:24

Boxing Day.
I have had time to have quite a bit of "play time" with the T3 in the last few days. Thanks to the helpful assistance here I have now got sound working from movies on my NAS.

I didn't default the T3 back to default OS as I managed to get the DreamPlex Plug-In working to my satisfaction.

Having played around with just watching live TV, immediate recording and other settings I am finding it easier to navigate around the "box". Having said that, I don't find the T3 at all intuitive or really logical to do different things.

I no longer have the urge to pitch it out the door. I am sure that the longer I persevere with it, the I will appreciate how powerful and capable it is. Now, where is that Koolade?
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

Glennie
Apprentice

Post by Glennie » Sun Dec 28, 2014 08:38

As the Beatles sang "It's getting better all the time" but there are a few niggling issues. I am familiarising myself with the T3 operation but don't have a confident grasp of everything yet.

I like to work things out for myself if possible but find that sometimes I run into a brick wall. I am at that stage with a few things at present but will only talk about the first until it is resolved and the go on to the next.

This first issue is that on YouTube TV and You Tube I get picture but no sound when playing a clip.
I have tried lots of things, pressing all just about every button on the remote. Just now I pressed and held the Menu button and everything locked up and I had to do a power reset from the power switch at the back of the T3.
One thing I did was to press the audio button when on YouTube to see is there were any sound options but it was inactive.
I had similar sound issues with playing video from my NAS but with the excellent help of the forum members it was quickly solved.

Any clues on this one?
LG 60UH770T
Beyonwiz-T3
LG HR945T Bluray
Yamaha CD 5 disc crap
ReadyNAS 104

jonpanoff
Apprentice

Post by jonpanoff » Sat May 09, 2015 18:42

Does anyone know whether the T3 supports Wake On LAN magic packets? I was using the web interface today and realised it was in deep sleep and had to press the remote to get it to boot up. I really want to be able to program from overseas by logging into my VPN.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat May 09, 2015 19:11

jonpanoff wrote:Does anyone know whether the T3 supports Wake On LAN magic packets? ...
No, unfortunately not. It also lacks the equivalent of Windows (or Mac) Sleep mode.

If you only shut down to Standby, networking is fully functional and you can wake it out of Standby (and put it back in) using Open Webif. However Standby mode uses almost as much power as running; the main power saving is that the HDD can spin down in Standby.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Fri Jan 15, 2016 21:11

Does the T2 support the Plex plugin?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jan 15, 2016 21:29

It supports the same Dreamplex plugin that the T3 and T4 can run.

Trial_Master
Guru

Post by Trial_Master » Fri Jan 15, 2016 21:51

That's great news. Thanks MrQuade :)

Return to “General Discussion”