Connecting JVC

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

George1955

Connecting JVC

Post by George1955 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 19:21

Hi
first post since buying a DP-P1 in December. Very happy so far(until today) It was connected to a Loewe CRT but as of today to a JVC LT-46FZD7 via HDMI
The problems i have are
1. Me, I just can't work out TV's and connections
2. I can get a picture on the TV but it is definitely not Digital
3. The Beyonwiz remote won't change the channel on the TV (changes on the Beyonwiz screen) so I can't get the setup screen or anything via the Beyonwiz

I have the HDMI cable plugged into Video 3 on the JVC (there is also a Video 4). On the JVC remote there is a TV/DTV button. I can only get a picture using TV button.
I'm guessing I need to get it working via DTV if I want a digital picture??
Channel search on both TV and DTV picks up all the channels but no picture on DTV all I get is a dialogue box with "No signal".

can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
George
DP-P1, JVC LT-46FZD7, Linux (Mint) +2 Win XP via Belkin Router

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 19:46

TV/DTV will toggle the TV to its internal digital tuner probably (does this internal tuner need another antenna connection? Can't help you there as you are asking about your Wiz to TV connection and I don't know about your TV model). You need to select the AV3 input somehow. As for the Wiz, you need to get it to output HDMI for HDMI to work, you can do this with the remote "TV-OUT" button, observing the front panel VFD screen for one of the HDMI options.
Tony

George1955

Post by George1955 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 20:02

Thanks Tony
I'll give it a go when the Tennis finishes otherwise I'll get murdered!!

George

weetbix
Apprentice

Post by weetbix » Tue Jan 27, 2009 20:48

Looking at an image of the remote you should have an "AV" button just to the right of the "0". This is the one you should use to change to your HDMI inputs.
You'll probably find that the TV/DTV button is switching between the inbuilt analogue and digital tuners and unless you've specifically run an analogue scan for channels you will find you are switching between a digital signal and nothing (at least that's what my Panasonic does).

George1955

Post by George1955 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 21:21

Thanks for the input
I've managed to get a digital picture via the tv using the TV/DTV button to get it to DTV. Then using the AV button I went to Video 3 and reset the tv to factory settings and rescanned. now i have all the channels.
Still can't get the Wiz to work. I used the TV out button to change HDMI to PAL is this correct?

Thanks again for the help
George

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 22:14

No (well, maybe, depends on what you mean by toggled from HDMI to PAL, as there is SD PAL modes and HD PAL modes which both don't output any HDMI signal), you want the Wiz to be toggled to one of the HDMI modes. P-HDMI-AUTO is a good one to get you started, then you will be able to see it on your TV screen once you learn how to toggle the TV to the HDMI/AV input (that TV/DTV button is, as was said before, to toggle you between the TV analogue and digital tuner and nothing to do with the AV inputs).
Regards
Tony

George1955

Post by George1955 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 08:17

Thanks
I misled on the last post. I can get a very good picture via the DTV button only, when I then use the AV button and toggle through the different modes: ie Video 1-4 & PC there is no picture, only a box saying "no signal". So I'm guessing the HDMI connections are not talking to each other. I have set the Wix to Pal-HDMI-Auto
I assume that since I have the HDMI cable plugged into Video 3 on the TV, that is where the picture should appear?
It looks as though the only thing the TV is using the Wiz for is to pick up the signal via the antenna. On that note, if the antenna is connected to the Wiz and the Wiz outputs to the TV via the HDMI, why do I need to have an antenna cable going from the Wiz to the TV?
My apologies for all the questions, however the JVC book is of no help.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 08:25

George1955 wrote:if the antenna is connected to the Wiz and the Wiz outputs to the TV via the HDMI, why do I need to have an antenna cable going from the Wiz to the TV?
You're correct in that you don't "need" to, but it's handy to have it so that you can watch the TV's tuner on the odd occasion when the Wiz is recording two programs simultaneously, and you want to watch a third channel. In fact this happened to me only two nights ago, I had to use the TV's tuner to watch the tennis.

Maybe try the other HDMI socket, and if that doesn't work, you should take your Wiz around to someone else's place who has a TV with HDMI (or even the shop you bought it from), and prove you can get a picture there. Then we know for sure it is your TV causing the problem.

George1955

Post by George1955 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 09:50

I'll try that tonight. I've also got a few other cables at home (Svideo etc) that I can try to see if the Wiz will work at least then I have a base to start from.
Thanks again

weetbix
Apprentice

Post by weetbix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:16

How did you have your Loewe CRT hooked up? This would be where I would start from, revert back to whatever connection type you had for that TV and use them to plug in to the JVC, once you've confirmed at least that is working then move on to HDMI.

madmax
Wizard

Post by madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:03

weetbix wrote:How did you have your Loewe CRT hooked up? This would be where I would start from, revert back to whatever connection type you had for that TV and use them to plug in to the JVC, once you've confirmed at least that is working then move on to HDMI.
The only problem with this is that it doesn't prove whether or not the HDMI output is working on the Wiz.

Topdog
Apprentice

Post by Topdog » Wed Jan 28, 2009 16:41

I think there is a terminology and communication problem here. Are we talking about HDMI inputs or Component.
HDMI sockets are not usually labelled Video 3 or 4,they are designated HDMI 1,2 etc. and I would expect the TV input selection to be the same...Nothing about the post makes any real sense..
The poster has stated he knows nothing about the connections.
I'm downloadfing a user manual for a similar model JVC set but I won't be able to check it out and get back before tomorrow.
I really think this guy need some in house help....or we need better and precise connection details from him.
I could be wrong but I don't think so.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard

Post by tonymy01 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 16:58

Ok, I bit the bullet and downloaded the manual, and the AV button does indeed switch to the a/v and hdmi inputs... however... the HDMI interface MUST be setup as HDMI and not analogue (well, at least I think so doing a quick scan thru the manual for "HDMI", this is in the SOUND menu of all places, and only impacts Video3. (they say if it is a DVI input to use analogue). Ok, so maybe this is only for sound.. grr... bumsteer. And in fact, Video4 is quite capable as a HDMI input also, but doesn't have the luxury of the analog vs HDMI setting (so always expects HDMI audio I presume).
So don't sell out poor George yet :-)

http://www.jvc-australia.com/JVCstores/ ... 20Inst.pdf
Tony

George1955

Post by George1955 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 22:10

Thanks Tonymy01
I'm glad someone else found the manual a bit weird
Anyway the problem is solved. It didn't make sense that there was no picture as everything was setup correctly. Anyway i pulled the HDMI socket out of the TV and put it back in again and it worked. Obviously I didn't have it in properly the first time
:oops:
Thanks everyone for your help (and patience)

George

Topdog
Apprentice

Post by Topdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 09:40

OK that's fine, just had to be sure we were talking the right talk....
Tony: glad you were able to download the manual, I bombed out and was going to try toady, but I guess now I don' need to.

No offence George, glad to see you are OK now..

Edit: DL'd a copy and I have to agree it aint the best user friendly User Manual I ever saw..

George1955

No offence George, glad to see you are OK now..

Post by George1955 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 13:23

No offence taken..as I mentioned TV's are not my forte, I prefer pc's.

Return to “General Discussion”