Enigma 2 replacement model

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

netmask
Wizard

Enigma 2 replacement model

Post by netmask » Fri Apr 05, 2024 17:16

Sometime ago there was a discussion on a suitable unit available in the UK or perhaps Germany! Couldn’t find it, coukd someone who knows the reference let me know as my V2 is starting to show its age and I might import one.
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

raymondjpg
Guru

Re: Enigma 2 replacement model

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Apr 06, 2024 08:33

netmask wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 17:16
Sometime ago there was a discussion on a suitable unit available in the UK or perhaps Germany! Couldn’t find it, coukd someone who knows the reference let me know as my V2 is starting to show its age and I might import one.

I took a note of this at the time viewtopic.php?f=66&t=13998&p=185469&hil ... 7C#p185469.

Perhaps what you are looking for?
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

netmask
Wizard

Post by netmask » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:32

Many thanks - will start exploring
BeyonWiz T3 and V2
LED TV SONY Bravia 75" Local dimming ~ Retired Samsung ES8000 65" ~
Yamaha A1070 amp
Zidoo UHD3000
Qnap TS851-4G
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 11 Professional
Netgear R7000
Chromecast

Apples
Apprentice

Post by Apples » Mon Apr 08, 2024 09:58

I was looking at the Beyonwiz shop today as I needed a replacement remote and noticed they had the V2 back in stock in their shop.
https://demo.beyonwiz.com.au/product/be ... media-box/

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:20

According to this Web page, the V2 is out of stock, but the U4 isn't marked as out of stock. I haven't putting an order into the shopping cart for either, though.
https://demo.beyonwiz.com.au/product-ca ... -ultra-hd/

However, if you go to the normal Beyonwiz shop page, https://beyonwiz.com.au/, the front page has a panel for the V2 that says "IN Stock Order NOW!", but if you click on it it takes you to the V2 ordering page that says "AVAILABILITY: OUT OF STOCK".

If you go to https://beyonwiz.com.au/product-category/4k-ultra-hd/ it only lists the V2, and its entry has an "OUT OF STOCK" sticker.

I'd be surprised if there was new stock available for either the V2 or U4.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 21:05

Hi,

The caravan's V2 recently stopped working. Not a glimmer. When we returned home, I tried a 240>12V PS, still no light. Pulled the cover off to check if it was the 12V socket that was faulty, or maybe the switch. Probed the back of the socket with a multimeter and suddenly the V2 booted. Great I thought. Connected it to the TV with a HDMI cable, but no output, tried another TV, still no picture. Connected to LAN, WebIf worked. Dug out the AV cable, and once I worked out which was for video (bought from BW, but RGB for some reason), I had a picture. So, it's working, but probably not trustworthy enough to take on another trip (V2 had stopped working on day 3 of our last trip, which luckily was only planned to be 5 days). So now we have a T2 (went dodgy a few years ago) & a V2 with no HDMI out!! We still have working: a U4, a V2 & a T2 (not in use,but as a backup).

I'm looking to buy something else as a replacement, I found this: VU+ Uno 4K SE Twin DVB-T/T2 Terrestrial Tuner (no stock ATM in the 2 online stores I found in the UK). This would be the easiest for my wife. As an alternative, an IceBox, Not interested in a Fetch. Have Optus Wireless, and that means no internet in places, and if we have to retune (very likely), we have no EPG.

I might try NASA Electronics tomorrow, but I doubt it's an easy/cheap repair. I could be wrong. Maybe there are replacement boards available.

dRdoS7

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Fri Apr 19, 2024 07:49

The IceBox is based on LibreELEC Kodi platform - the PVR function is provided by TVHeadend. Still a bit rough around the edges but is in active development. Has ad-skipping, which works very well. Takes a bit of getting used to the RCU, but LibreELEC supports a wide range of RCUs. Not sure what upper limit to number of tuners, but it happily support 6 USB tuners. At this stage it only supports x86-64 hardware. Most USB tuners that work with the V2 will work with LibreELEC.

There is an Enigma2 add-on frontend add-on with LibreELEC - not tried it myself. It is described as "Kodi's frontend for VU+ / Enigma2 based set-top boxes". Not sure what the frontend does. Might try it and find out. TVHeadend has both frontend and backend for LibreELEC, I suspect the backend is required to run Enigma2 locally.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 15:56

IanL-S wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 07:49
There is an Enigma2 add-on frontend add-on with LibreELEC - not tried it myself. It is described as "Kodi's frontend for VU+ / Enigma2 based set-top boxes". Not sure what the frontend does. Might try it and find out. TVHeadend has both frontend and backend has both frontend and backend for LibreELEC, I suspect the backend is required to run Enigma2 locally.

If you mean Enigma2 Client for Kodi then it acts like every other PVR front end, in this case connecting back to any Enigma2 box you may have on your LAN. For example in my case I can connect to either my T2 or U4. It only reflects what can be done in the Enigma2 boxes, so you can play live TV, set recordings from the guide or timer rules, and play and/or delete recordings but all the action is back with the Enigma2 PVRs.

Personally I now prefer to run my Windows Kodi Live TV with the TVHeadend HTSP Client as the front end using a BYO IceBox loaded on an 8th generation Intel NUC as the back end. It is much more responsive and "snappy" than using the Enigma2 boxes as a back end, also come to that NextPVR or MediaPortal.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:05

Hi,

I think I'll buy an Icebox for me and see how it performs. Then see if my wife can adapt to it. If I can use a USB IR and the existing Harmony remote it should make it a bit easier. Hopefully the U4 (wife) & V2 (mine > caravan) will keep running for a while longer (probably shouldn't have written that - tempting fate??), and it won't require me to buy an Icebox for my wife for some time.

Just noticed this on the Icebox page:
To function the IceBox needs an IceTV subscription.
I thought I read that FTA guide is available.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Apr 20, 2024 09:56

dRdoS7 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:05
Hi,

I think I'll buy an Icebox for me and see how it performs. Then see if my wife can adapt to it. If I can use a USB IR and the existing Harmony remote it should make it a bit easier. Hopefully the U4 (wife) & V2 (mine > caravan) will keep running for a while longer (probably shouldn't have written that - tempting fate??), and it won't require me to buy an Icebox for my wife for some time.

Thanks,

dRdoS7

I don't have an IceBox, I have a BYO installation in a NUC, but as far as I can tell IceBox hardware is based on a Gemini Lake NUC or NUC-like product with a Celeron processor. As such, with mainly soldered down components, I would see it as having a better life expectancy than the BW PVRs, and even with a Celeron processor, more than adequate grunt to run LibreELEC which IceBox is based upon. From reports I have seen it can run a bit warm, but if it is NUC like then there would be an inbuilt cooling fan that for some people might be a little noisy, but I've seen no reports of that.

The IceTV forum has reports of users with (I think) both wireless and IR remote alternatives to the IceBox remote, so my guess is LibreELEC would have drivers for your USB IR receiver, and even if it didn't you could run it with a Flirc which users report does work.

I see no reason why an IceBox couldn't be used to load LibreELEC without the IceTV software, and run as a PVR using the TVHeadend Server and client Add ons, and running the FTA EPG. There would be a bit of a learning experience to set up and configure it this way, which is done via a web-based GUI for TVHeadend.

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18

dRdoS7 wrote:

Thanks,

dRdoS7
You get fee IceTV access for 3 months (IceTV IceBox) or 1 month (BYOB). So you can try it and decide if it is worth the nominal subscription prices. During free period you could also connect your Beyonwiz to IceTV - your autotimers will use the IceTV EPG data rather than free to air. It is very easy to deactivate IceTV on a Beyonwiz.

You can load any OS you want on the IceBox - it is not restricted to the IceTV firmware. You can download standard LibreELEC image and load it on the unit and then download PVR backend/client such as TVHeadend.

Ian

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:40

IanL-S wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18
It is very easy to deactivate IceTV on a Beyonwiz.

Did you mean on an IceBox? If so, then would the TVHeadend config change such that the FTA grabber came into play, and the channel EPG setup change to allow for the change of EPG source?

I don't know because I've not tried it. Also, I suspect that even updating an IceBox installation with a vanilla generic LibreELEC image would not necessarily set EPG sources back to FTA default. And again, quite apart from EPG issues there are a number of other IceTV TVHeadend customisations that might not be at all desirable when running it that way.

If intending to run IceBox hardware with generic LibreELEC then it would probably be best to set it up with that from scratch.

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:51

raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 15:56

If you mean Enigma2 Client for Kodi then it acts like every other PVR front end, in this case connecting back to any Enigma2 box you may have on your LAN. For example in my case I can connect to either my T2 or U4. It only reflects what can be done in the Enigma2 boxes, so you can play live TV, set recordings from the guide or timer rules, and play and/or delete recordings but all the action is back with the Enigma2 PVRs.
Are you saying any box based on Enigma2, will work with each other including Beyonwiz boxes in the same way Beyonwiz boxes currently do?
raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 15:56
Personally I now prefer to run my Windows Kodi Live TV with the TVHeadend HTSP Client as the front end using a BYO IceBox loaded on an 8th generation Intel NUC as the back end. It is much more responsive and "snappy" than using the Enigma2 boxes as a back end, also come to that NextPVR or MediaPortal.
TVHeadend HTSP Client, allows Kodi setups to operate like they're Enigma2 boxes? How are you using IceBox in this setup?

I'm dreading the day my T4 and V2 die. Have had the T4 fixed once and it's been stead ever since but I need a back up plan! Thanks for the info

Edit: what remote solution do you then use with a NUC? Just as important as the software itself in my view

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:27

TVHeadend has a on-board web server which has many functions that Openwebif has. In some way it is more powerful but there are (I assume) some things it does not do that Openwebif can do.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Apr 21, 2024 15:42

BigbobOz wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:51
Are you saying any box based on Enigma2, will work with each other including Beyonwiz boxes in the same way Beyonwiz boxes currently do?

No, I'm saying that any implementation of Kodi, for example for Windows or linux (including LibreELEC) that can install the Enigma2 Client for Kodi, can use Enigma2 (including Beyonwiz) PVRs as a back end for Live TV in Kodi.

BigbobOz wrote:

TVHeadend HTSP Client, allows Kodi setups to operate like they're Enigma2 boxes? How are you using IceBox in this setup?

No, it allows Kodi setups to operate with the TV functions of IceBox i.e Channels, Guide, Timers , Recordings; Live TV and playback of recordings.

To set up, just install the TVHeadend HTSP Client in Kodi and configure to find the IceBox on your LAN.

BigbobOz wrote:
Edit: what remote solution do you then use with a NUC? Just as important as the software itself in my view

Yes. I use a Harmony remote configured as Windows MCE with key mapping modified as necessary to control Kodi (for example a "c" is essential to get to the context menu) and a Flirc as the IR receiver programmed to control an external media player.

Most functions in Kodi can be accessed with the arrow and backspace keys, but there also has to be some way to get to the context menus.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 20:04

Hi,
IanL-S wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18
dRdoS7 wrote:

Thanks,

dRdoS7
You get fee IceTV access for 3 months (IceTV IceBox) or 1 month (BYOB). So you can try it and decide if it is worth the nominal subscription prices. During free period you could also connect your Beyonwiz to IceTV - your autotimers will use the IceTV EPG data rather than free to air. It is very easy to deactivate IceTV on a Beyonwiz.

You can load any OS you want on the IceBox - it is not restricted to the IceTV firmware. You can download standard LibreELEC image and load it on the unit and then download PVR backend/client such as TVHeadend.

Ian

The way it's written, it appears you have to have IceTV. Not saying you're wrong, but that is how it is written. I just wanted to be sure.

So, the IceBox can be run as is without having an IceTV sub, and I can get the FTA Guide? FTA is fine, and I have no interest in IceTV, free or not. Pretty much useless when travelling, which is why a Fetch is no good. If they ever dropped that requirement, I'd buy 3. But then I thought there was restrictions on copying files onto the network drive/sharing between boxes. I could be wrong. Not sure about other media like DVD rips, mp3s, etc.

If I did buy an IceBox (or 2, or 3), I can't see the point in not running the IceBox installed system, otherwise I might as well buy a NUC, and DIY a PVR.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, there'll be some Enigma boxes available with terrestrial tuners, and I won't need to change systems.

I found out a couple of days ago that what ever caused the caravan V2 HDMI to fail also killed the caravan TV's HDMI inputs (or vice versa). So now the caravan has a T2 connected via RGB, with a 2nd T2 as a spare.

Thanks,

b0b

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Wed Apr 24, 2024 23:37

dRdoS7 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 20:04
I have no interest in IceTV, free or not. Pretty much useless when travelling,

Not sure I can see the logic to that. IceTV can be used amywhere, it would just need attention to set up the account for whichever location you're in. However if not interested in IceTV interactive then I agree little point apart from the benefit of identifying repeat showings.

dRdoS7 wrote:
If I did buy an IceBox (or 2, or 3), I can't see the point in not running the IceBox installed system, otherwise I might as well buy a NUC, and DIY a PVR.

If you looked at the costs of IceBox vs a Gemini Lake NUC (if you could find one) I reckon Icebox and tuner peripherals would come in pretty competitively priced.

dRdoS7 wrote:
Hopefully, in the not too distant future, there'll be some Enigma boxes available with terrestrial tuners, and I won't need to change systems.

According to this there already are. See viewtopic.php?f=66&t=13998&p=185469&hil ... 7C#p185469

At the end of the day, my decision to go with IceBox BYO was based on my desire to have IceTV interactive in something that would survive my Beyonwiz PVRs.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:41

Hi,
raymondjpg wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 23:37
dRdoS7 wrote:
I have no interest in IceTV, free or not. Pretty much useless when travelling,

Not sure I can see the logic to that. IceTV can be used amywhere, it would just need attention to set up the account for whichever location you're in. However if not interested in IceTV interactive then I agree little point apart from the benefit of identifying repeat showings.

When travelling, we can get TV in many places, but not always internet. I assume that will become worse with 3G shutting down. So, we would have no EPG once we retuned in a new area.

dRdoS7 wrote:

If you looked at the costs of IceBox vs a Gemini Lake NUC (if you could find one) I reckon Icebox and tuner peripherals would come in pretty competitively priced.
I looked a various NUCs, but it wasn't much cheaper.
dRdoS7 wrote:

According to this there already are. See viewtopic.php?f=66&t=13998&p=185469&hil ... 7C#p185469
That info is from 2020, I searched online and found some, but they were OOS. I found a Zgemma H7C on Amazon. But I'd be happy to be proved wrong!! I could buy one with a sat, tuner and add 3 USB tuners (a dual & a single) I suppose.
At the end of the day, my decision to go with IceBox BYO was based on my desire to have IceTV interactive in something that would survive my Beyonwiz PVRs.
I'd prefer to remain with Enigma boxes, easier for my wife. Though she had few problems switching to BW from Toppies. That was mainly because we use Harmony remotes, so buttons stayed the same (mostly).

b0b

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:20

https://www.qff.org.au/blog/goodbye-3g- ... experience.

3G is being closed down but the spectrum and towers remain, so it’s just moving to 4G and 5G.

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31

Hi,
BigbobOz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:20

3G is being closed down but the spectrum and towers remain, so it’s just moving to 4G and 5G.

Eventually. They'll also need many more towers to cover the same area.

The text description for the Zgemma H7S on Amazon:
It can be fixed by flashing again when the decoder is stuck in the boat.
So that may come in handy if/when it floods. :D

It does look like a good possibility, so I'll check again when we we come back from our "big" trip in July. At least buying via Amazon will give more protection than from an OS website.

b0b

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 14:09

dRdoS7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31
Hi,
BigbobOz wrote:

b0b
My understanding is they use the same frequencies so it has the same range benefits as 3G. Your device connects to the best option. Like how wifi these days has 2.4ghz and 5ghz, your phone uses which is best

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 17:16

Hi,
BigbobOz wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 14:09
dRdoS7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31
Hi,
BigbobOz wrote:

b0b
My understanding is they use the same frequencies so it has the same range benefits as 3G. Your device connects to the best option. Like how wifi these days has 2.4ghz and 5ghz, your phone uses which is best
Not my understanding, but I could be wrong. AFAIK, the range from a 5G tower is a lot less than a 4G or 3G tower.

5ghz covers less are than 2.4ghz, but it is faster.

b0b

BigbobOz
Master

Post by BigbobOz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:13

5G standard includes very high frequencies for top speeds and capacity but it is multi band. So is 4G. Closing 3G frees up the bands for the newer standards

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25

dRdoS7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 17:16
Speed goes with bandwidth (and coding, including MIMO), not with carrier frequency, though there may be more bandwidth available in some higher-frequency bands.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

dRdoS7
Wizard

Post by dRdoS7 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 09:27

Hi,
prl wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25
dRdoS7 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 17:16
Speed goes with bandwidth (and coding, including MIMO), not with carrier frequency, though there may be more bandwidth available in some higher-frequency bands.
I can only say that my 5ghz signal dropped off well before the 2.4ghz did from the same source.

dRdoS7

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 09:57

dRdoS7 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 09:27
I can only say that my 5ghz signal dropped off well before the 2.4ghz did from the same source.

It should have been "bandwidth and signal to noise ratio" (Shannon–Hartley theorem). Signal propagation is generally better at 2.4GHz than 5GHz. But it's still the case that bandwidth is the main controllable influence over data throughput.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Discussion”