U4 not doing a firmware update from USB

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mjh

U4 not doing a firmware update from USB

Post by mjh » Sat Feb 24, 2024 00:21

U4 firmware cannot be updated from USB. I have tried a number of times. At the moment I get zero response. Previously I got BOLT V1.31.1. I downloaded the latest available firmware, which seems to be November 2019. To the best of my knowledge this is what was already on the U4 but the machine had begun to start rebooting and acting erratically indicating for a firmware upgrade. The best I could do was to see that it was booting after I had pressed the on button the screen said "IDREF" or something similar. After repeating BOOTING a number of times it seemed to get stuck on "Loading 9%" and then nothing else happened.

If I could reset it to factory default I should have a chance of upgrading the firmware because I think it does not recognise the necessity to upgrade from the same version.

prl
Wizard God

Re: U4 not doing a firmware update from USB

Post by prl » Sat Feb 24, 2024 08:35

It sounds like a hardware problem, possibly one of the on-board voltage regulators.
mjh wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 00:21
If I could reset it to factory default I should have a chance of upgrading the firmware because I think it does not recognise the necessity to upgrade from the same version.

Resetting to factory defaults doesn't affect how the firmware is upgraded. But you can't do a factory reset without booting into normal operation, anyway.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

mjh

Post by mjh » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:28

If it's hardware, where do I go to get it fixed in Sydney?

mjh

Post by mjh » Sat Feb 24, 2024 14:25

Thanks Peter for your earlier reply. I have found Nasa Electronics at Abbotsbury. I have sent them an enquiry form noting my original message and your educated assessment. Thanks again, Michael.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Feb 25, 2024 09:48

Nasa Electronics is the only place that I know of that does Beyonwiz repairs. I've never used them, but reports on the forum have about them have been positive.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Mon Feb 26, 2024 06:16

I have used Nasa Electronics to repair my U4 - they offered a fixed price including Australia Post eParcel for the return. In addition to the problem I had (damaged power connection) he replaced the CPU fan and the power supply.

Also purchased spare parts - power supply for a Topfield 2400 and power brick for a T2. In the former case he ensured that I got a power board that fitted my particular 2400 layout.

Ian
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

Return to “General Discussion”