Storm wounded my T4 - Looking to replace it.

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Recusant
Master

Storm wounded my T4 - Looking to replace it.

Post by Recusant » Mon Jan 29, 2024 18:55

Hiya,

The storm makes the HDMI output glitchy. It flickers. I first thought it was the AVR, but i have the Chromecast in the AVR and there's no such behaviour. BluRay player similarly seems ok. Assuming insurance comes through (there were other things that died too), i'll be looking to replace it. If insurance doesn't come through, i'll probably have to endure it for a while.

So i guess the V2 is the go nowadays. Is there anything i should be aware of, extras or optionals i should consider? I like that it has 265 playback. It'd be cool if it could handle AV1 which i see is starting to gain popularity (slowly).

My first Beyonwiz was a DP-P2, i'm pretty happy with the brand but the T4 was overkill for me and too complicated for my dad.
DP-P2 & T4

blip
Master

Re: Storm wounded my T4 - Looking to replace it.

Post by blip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:26

Unfortunately Beyonwiz products are no longer available.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:38

oh what?! What do i replace it with? :(
DP-P2 & T4

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:23

Recusant wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 18:55
Hiya,

The storm makes the HDMI output glitchy. It flickers. I first thought it was the AVR, but i have the Chromecast in the AVR and there's no such behaviour. BluRay player similarly seems ok. Assuming insurance comes through (there were other things that died too), i'll be looking to replace it. If insurance doesn't come through, i'll probably have to endure it for a while.

So i guess the V2 is the go nowadays. Is there anything i should be aware of, extras or optionals i should consider? I like that it has 265 playback. It'd be cool if it could handle AV1 which i see is starting to gain popularity (slowly).

My first Beyonwiz was a DP-P2, i'm pretty happy with the brand but the T4 was overkill for me and too complicated for my dad.
When you say it "makes the HDMI output glitchy", and that "it flickers", is it flickering constantly - or only during lightning strikes? Lightning produces RF interference, which is definitely capable of interfering with either the input signal (from the antenna), or the signal being transmitted in the HDMI cables.

If it's flickering constantly, then your wiz might be stuffed.

There's not much you can do if the problem is RF interference with the antenna feed. However, you might wish to consider switching to a shielded HDMI cable, which would be less susceptible to RF interference from the lightning.

No promises that this will solve your problem, but it's worth investigating before you bin the Wiz completely.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

vader1111
Master

Post by vader1111 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:25

Recusant wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:38
My suggestion would be an IceBox: https://www.icetv.com.au/icebox/

** Full disclosure - I am a beta tester for the IceBoxes.
2x T2 19.3 20201114

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Tue Feb 06, 2024 16:58

It's unlikely (though not impossible) that a lightning strike would give you glitchy HDMI output. The symptoms you describe could be a result of poor or deteriorating cabling / connection.

I'd try a different (high quality) HDMI cable and would also test a different HDMI input on the AVR / TV.

And of course, being a T4, if you didn't have the tuner heatsinks (or regulators + heatsinks) replaced, you might be seeing the first signs of the T4 dying. If that is the case, having the T4 serviced promptly (by NASA Electronics) may save it.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:35

Will arrange it. I've been slow, too slow.

The timing was bang on though. Pre storm: no problems. Post storm: glitchy output. Literally to the day.

Cheers.
DP-P2 & T4

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:37

vader1111 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:23
When you say it "makes the HDMI output glitchy", and that "it flickers", is it flickering constantly - or only during lightning strikes? Lightning produces RF interference, which is definitely capable of interfering with either the input signal (from the antenna), or the signal being transmitted in the HDMI cables.

If it's flickering constantly, then your wiz might be stuffed.

There's not much you can do if the problem is RF interference with the antenna feed. However, you might wish to consider switching to a shielded HDMI cable, which would be less susceptible to RF interference from the lightning.

No promises that this will solve your problem, but it's worth investigating before you bin the Wiz completely.
It happened since the strike. I've more recently discovered that if i turn it off and on again, it sometimes temporarily fixes the glitching.

I wouldn't ever throw it away completely :) I'd rather send it to NASA so that he/they could use it for parts than to just chuck it.
DP-P2 & T4

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:38

vader1111 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:25
Recusant wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:38
My suggestion would be an IceBox: https://www.icetv.com.au/icebox/

** Full disclosure - I am a beta tester for the IceBoxes.
I just posted a question about it vs the Fetch Mighty to see peoples opinions.

I like the idea that the IceBox seems more like a PC with software, rather than a factory-built single-purpose device.

Am i right that, for example, i could simply install Linux, or even Windows on the IceBox and use it as a NUC?
DP-P2 & T4

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:35

The IceTV IceBox uses generic components for the NUC. You can load whatever OS you wish if you do not like the IceBox experiences ( which is getting better as time goes on).
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Sat Apr 13, 2024 23:36

Your best option is to get the T4 repaired.

The other options are in the "second best" category.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

Recusant
Master

Post by Recusant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 14:57

I'll get it repaired. Waiting for the school holidays to finish so i can send it off. It gets used more often during the school holidays.
DP-P2 & T4

Return to “General Discussion”