U4 stuck in Update mode, remote locked out

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

softtoytrev
Apprentice

U4 stuck in Update mode, remote locked out

Post by softtoytrev » Tue Jul 18, 2023 15:22

Hello,
I have just received back my U4 PVR that been to a reputable electronics shop to get them to get a new Beyonwiz remote interfaced to the PVR unit. Just before the U4 was picked up the repair shop said that they had tested that the remote was working by rescanning the channels list with the Adelaide region frequencies, I live in country SA and the Adelaide frequencies are not available to us.
I have since been trying to rescan the local stations, however the PVR comes up with nothing available, YES the country is selected as being Australia.
With no luck setting up the channels, I thought that I may be better off just doing a Firmware update, so I have loaded the latest firmware onto a blank USB, then turned off the On/OFF switch on the back of the unit, insert the USB into the front USB socket, and turned the PVR back on, the PVR goes through the usual process of booting up, but now the PVR is asking me "YES, restore the settings now", and this is my problem the new remote is locked out and is ineffective in allowing me to change the on screen setting. If I turn the PVR off and back on again it come up with the same message "YES, restore the settings now", the remote is disabled at this stage.
Can someone please offer some assistance to get me out of this bind that I find myself in?

prl
Wizard God

Re: U4 stuck in Update mode, remote locked out

Post by prl » Tue Jul 18, 2023 15:32

Is your U4 connected to your home network?

If so, you may be able to use the on-screen remote in the OpenWebif interface on the U4.

Just enter beyonwizu4 in the search bar of your browser. The onscreen remote is in the lefthand side bar.

If you tick the "Capture screenshot" box under the remote, it will display a still image of the TV screen after each button press, which can be handy if the computer is in a different room from the TV.

If using the name of the U4 doesn't work, you'll need to enter the IP address of the U4 into the browser. You can usually work that out from the admin access to your network router, but exactly how it's done will depend ion the router model.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Wed Jul 19, 2023 21:38

Hi PRL,
No, the U4 was setup as stand alone and therefore not connected to a network.

Is it at all possible that the U4 can be reset to factory settings manually, by pressing and holding a particular key on the remote and turning on the PVR power switch at the same time?

I am very keen to somehow get my U4 working again.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Jul 20, 2023 00:19

ISTR a USB keyboard should work, if that could be an option.

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 08:29

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a ISTR USB Keyboard?

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:08

ISTR - I seem to recall (I believe it's come up before, but I haven't bothered searching)
USB keyboard - a keyboard that connects via USB

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:36

OK, I can probably get hold of a USB keyboard somewhere.

Do you know for sure that pressing certain keys when powering up will allow me to get around my current issue?

So, what key(s) do you suggest that I press, that will allow me to reset the PVR on power up?

Trev

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:24

Here's where it came up before - I think you would just need to press Enter twice.

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Fri Jul 21, 2023 09:46

I have pressed the enter key twice as suggested, but nothing happens.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:24

Huh? You said in the other topic "I have progressed through the rest of the setup with no problems."

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:15

Hi Adoxa,
Let me go back and tell you what the original problem was.
I received my U4 back from the consumer electronic repairer with only the channels selected in Adelaide and the remote was working. I live in Kadina, country SA, and we have different frequencies in the country than what is used in the City. So I did a local scan of the frequencies available to us here, but the tuner found no stations at all. This prompted me to rescan the local stations again, but I got the same results. So I decided to do a factory reset, and that is when the program asked if I wanted to select "YES, restore the settings now". After selecting the second option "No, continue on" I noticed that the handheld remote had stopped working. So I plugged in a USB Keyboard (as suggested on this post) then using the keyboard keys I was able to continued on until the U4 went on to do a full scan of all channels. But the remote at this point onwards had stopped working. I imagine this is due to me previously selecting the option to reinstall the factory settings.

If I can just get the remote interfaced with the PVR, then I am good to go on and re-setup the timers, etc.

adoxa
Wizard

Post by adoxa » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:15

My "Enter twice" was to restore settings: once for yes, again to restart. You didn't restore settings, maybe that's why the remote isn't recognised? Although that might depend if the store backed up. I'm not sure why your remote is not detected, or how to bring up MENU with a keyboard.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:40

adoxa wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:15
how to bring up MENU with a keyboard.

After a little experimentation, I found that on a USB Keyboard:
SPACE = MENU
RETURN = OK
ESC = EXIT
UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT = UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT

Those keys are enough to get into the setup menu to check the current remote control code set and to change it if necessary.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Fri Jul 21, 2023 16:58

Hi Peter,
I've got the keyboard plugged in and working.
Where do I go to find the current remote control code set?
Will this be of any help when I am not using the original remote control?
Trev

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 21, 2023 17:34

softtoytrev wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 16:58
I've got the keyboard plugged in and working.
Where do I go to find the current remote control code set?

MENU (or SPACE on the keyboard)>Setup>System>Remote control code settings. It's where you'd have set up to use the replacement remote in the first place.

If the selection in Remote is Beyonwiz U4/T4/T2 (0x02F3), then it's set to use the U4's original remote.

The correct selection for your replacement remote is probably Beyonwiz T2/T4 (0x02F2).

The replacement remote you have is programmable to use any of the three code sets Beyonwiz U4/T4/T2 (0x02F3), Beyonwiz T2/T4 (0x02F2) or Beyonwiz T2/T4 (0x02F4). If using the Beyonwiz T2/T4 (0x02F2) code set doesn't work, try the other two.

When the "Is this remote OK?" popup will time out with the answer "no", try selection "yes" with the replacement remote. If that works, you have the right remote.

Unfortunately, the replacement remote you have can't be programmed to emit the same codes as the original U4 remote. That would have been the cleanest solution if it were possible.
softtoytrev wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 16:58
Will this be of any help when I am not using the original remote control?

That's the intention. It's to get the U4 to use a remote code set that matches your replacement remote instead of one that matches the U4's original remote.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

softtoytrev
Apprentice

Post by softtoytrev » Sat Jul 22, 2023 18:28

Hi Peter,
Your last post yesterday, it was the one that cinched it for me, changing the 0x02F2 code on the PVR was in fact just what I needed. Once I changed the code on the U4 PVR the remote started responding again. I have since done a backup of the PVR settings, and set up my timers without problems.

Thank you so much for your help, without you I would be still sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

I really sincerely appreciate all that you did for me.

Trev

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:02

softtoytrev wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 18:28
Thank you so much for your help, without you I would be still sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

I really sincerely appreciate all that you did for me.

No problem, but the idea to use the USB keyboard came from adoxa, not me. Once I was reminded of that, the rest became clear to me.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Discussion”