Tuner related questions

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

CJSStK
Apprentice

Tuner related questions

Post by CJSStK » Sat May 06, 2023 18:13

Hello there.

I am debugging some recent but fortunately rare failed recordings (the recordings were made but with 0 byte file size) and just wanted to clarify my understanding on the tuner setup on my BW U4. It has the three internal tuners and optionally a USB tuner (which I have not implemented but see below). There is no evidence in the settings that any of the internal tuners are faulty.

My current understanding is that each internal tuner is capable of the simultaneous recording of two shows from the same broadcaster eg ABC, SBS. Thus it is possible that at any point in time I may have up to six concurrent recordings underway. And by extension I can only record three concurrent shows if they emanate from three different broadcasters. And also that I could record for example four concurrent shows from the same broadcaster and two from another and the BW tuners will be able to handle that. Is that correct?

In the event of carelessly scheduling too many timers than the BW tuners can handle and they clash, what happens? First in first served? Is there a way to tell if this has happened or do excess recordings just not exist, or is there for example a log kept? I understand I could experiment myself of course but thought I would ask the forum anyway in case this is already documented (I have searched but could not find anything). I use IceTV btw.

Finally having read that BW Australia seems to be defunct is there any local source that forum members could recommend for a BW U4 compatible USB tuner? The scenarios of use above are not common but I may have done something like this leading to the failed recordings. So I was just curious in case I decide to increase capacity.

Apart from all of the above I may be confronting a hardware problem eg a failing tuner. In which case off to the repair shop I guess.

Cheers

prl
Wizard God

Re: Tuner related questions

Post by prl » Sat May 06, 2023 18:42

CJSStK wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 18:13
the tuner setup on my BW U4. It has the three internal tuners and optionally a USB tuner (which I have not implemented but see below). There is no evidence in the settings that any of the internal tuners are faulty.

My current understanding is that each internal tuner is capable of the simultaneous recording of two shows from the same broadcaster eg ABC, SBS. Thus it is possible that at any point in time I may have up to six concurrent recordings underway. And by extension I can only record three concurrent shows if they emanate from three different broadcasters. And also that I could record for example four concurrent shows from the same broadcaster and two from another and the BW tuners will be able to handle that. Is that correct?

The bit where you say that you can only record from a maximum of 3 different broadcasters if you have 3 different tuners is correct. And if you add a 4th tuner, then you are correct that you can record from 4 broadcasters simultaneously. But there's no fixed limit to the total number of simultaneous recordings you can make within that limitation. The U4 retail box says that it will support up to 10 simultaneous recordings (within the restriction of how many different broadcasters you can record from), and it can probably actually do more than that.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Tue May 09, 2023 15:04

prl wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 18:42
The U4 retail box says that it will support up to 10 simultaneous recordings (within the restriction of how many different broadcasters you can record from), and it can probably actually do more than that.
I tested mine a while back and capped out at 12 simultaneous recordings across four networks.
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

CJSStK
Apprentice

Post by CJSStK » Tue May 09, 2023 17:07

Thanks for the feedback. Whatever is causing my failed recording issue it‘s clearly not to do with too many scheduled recordings. The investigation continues. Cheers

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue May 09, 2023 17:19

Have you looked in the timer log for a timer that made the recording? In the timers list (TIMER from live TV), scroll down to the timer and press INFO (the i button). Are there any entries that look like errors? If so. or you're not sure, post a screenshot.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

CJSStK
Apprentice

Post by CJSStK » Wed May 17, 2023 16:02

Hi there. Where would I find the timer log please? The timer itself disappears after the recording event. There is a log directory under home\root on the BW. This holds an enigma2_execution.log file but there is not anything helpful in there apart from a comment that it is executing enigma and terminating with code 41 and code 2. I have examined the files associated with the recording as created by the BW but there is nothing helpful there either. Cheers

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed May 17, 2023 17:40

CJSStK wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 16:02
Hi there. Where would I find the timer log please? The timer itself disappears after the recording event.

You get the timer log by going into the timer list, navigating to the timer you want to check and pressing the INFO button on the remote.

Timers are held for 7 days by default (if they're not repeat timers). They are moved in the list to after all the upcoming timers. They'll only be deleted more quickly if you have changed the Remove completed timers after (days) setting.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

CJSStK
Apprentice

Post by CJSStK » Thu May 18, 2023 17:43

Ah thanks for that and I can see the pending and completed timers (with their narration). I've extended the completed timer retention period and will check regularly for another failed recording instance and see what the completed timer reports. Cheers

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 19, 2023 10:24

OK. I'll be happy to try to help if you have the problem again.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

raj
Master

Post by raj » Mon May 22, 2023 14:28

G'day,

Has anyone managed to use the Hauppauge twin tuner to work with the Beyonwiz T2?

The one that is now on the store (that is shut) looks like the one the IceBox uses. I am hoping to get my T2 and P1 revived and if that happens getting one of them would give me 4 tuners on the T2, and would be great.

Thanks.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon May 22, 2023 16:09

raj wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 14:28
Has anyone managed to use the Hauppauge twin tuner to work with the Beyonwiz T2?

On a T2 with the standard firmware drivers, it's not even recognised in the Linux kernel. If the right driver could be loaded, it might work, but I think that only 1 of the 2 tuners could be used, because of other limitations in the T2.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

The Old Man
Master

Post by The Old Man » Mon Jun 19, 2023 17:48

I see from this thread that some B/W pvr's can record with many more than 3 tuners which can record sucsssfully.

I have a V2 which can record up to 6 programs at once. I have now found that I think is refered as a Bluey in a drwaer that I had forgotten about. Can this be used in a V2? If so how is this done as there isn't a usb port to plug it into?

If if can't work at all with a V2 can it be used in any other useful way like plugging if into a PC or somehing else? If yes how would that be done?

IanL-S
Master

Post by IanL-S » Tue Jun 20, 2023 08:25

Cannot be 100% certain, but the odds are good that it may work with the V2 - I cannot remember if I tried a bluey with my V2 (it works well with my IceTV IceBox). The V2 maxes out at 5 tuners.
Enjoying an active retirement "playing" with my Toppys and now Beyonwiz.
T2, U4 and V2 controlled by IceTV
Various Toppys including TRF-2400, TRF-5300 and TF7100HDPVRt Plus
For help with your Toppy checkout the oztoppy forum and the oztoppy wiki.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Jun 20, 2023 09:54

The Old Man wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 17:48
If so how is this done as there isn't a usb port to plug it into?

The V2 has 2 USB ports, both on the rear. When you say it has no USB ports, do you meant that both the USB ports it has are in use? If both ports are in use, you'll need to get a USB hub (probably one with an external power supply) to allow you to connect the tuner.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Return to “General Discussion”