T2 upgrade disc or replace with V2??

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

AvB
Apprentice

T2 upgrade disc or replace with V2??

Post by AvB » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:25

Hi and thanks again for your support which I occasionally tap into, and which always gets things sorted. I have a general "advice" question:

We still have our old T2, and it does everything we need. We're not wanting newer features etc. We're very used to the T2. Yes the menu is a bit counterintuitive at times, and I still don't understand the recording of time lapse TV, but overall we're addicted to the setup and happy with it. We are avid users and fans of IceTV. It has a 2014 1Tb WD HDD, so pretty old now. The HDD seems to be always running. Pretty much no matter what time of day or night, that disc is humming. In the early days the T2 used to go dead and I think the power supply was replaced - but it continued to have probems and I was almost ready to ditch it until I found cracks in power lead solder joints and bingo, fixing those got it a lot more reliable.

But it's always tended to jam up every now and then. At random times, but also after power outages which being in the country are not infrequent. I've found that I usually have to leave it switched off for a long time to bring it back to life. Just a 30 second power disconnect often doesn't work and sometimes I have to leave it off for an hour or so and then try again.

But lately it's been jamming a bit more. It keeps playing the station it's on, but nothing responds. Getting a bit more annoying.

My question is: Is it worth buying and trying a new SSD disc - is that likely to help with the jamming? If so, any recommendations/ advice on disc choice? Or is it wiser to move on and buy a V2?

Cheers and thanks, Andrew.

prl
Wizard God

Re: T2 upgrade disc or replace with V2??

Post by prl » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:29

AvB wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:25
Or is it wiser to move on and buy a V2?

There are no new V2s available for sale. Beyonwiz isn't taking back orders.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:51

AvB wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:25
But lately it's been jamming a bit more. It keeps playing the station it's on, but nothing responds. Getting a bit more annoying.

My question is: Is it worth buying and trying a new SSD disc - is that likely to help with the jamming? If so, any recommendations/ advice on disc choice? Or is it wiser to move on and buy a V2?

I'd suggest one thing you could try that *might* give the T2 a little more life.

Set a power timer reboot (it's in the power section of the settings) once a day, when you are unlikely to be using the PVR for live TV or recording, say 3.00 am.

Some of us do this routinely to try and avoid the PVR locking up and becoming unresponsive to commands from the remote control.

I would try that before looking to invest in a new HDD or SSD.

It is possible that the WD 1TB has had its day, but before replacing it you could also try a reformat (after backing up any recordings from it) to see if that helps.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:34

OK thanks, great tip. I'll set the daily reboot. Well, if no V2s available, that makes the decision easier! I noticed an email from Umart with some cheap deals on SSDs yesterday, which sparked my interest. Cheers.

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:08

I found the power timer and added it. Thanks.

If I DID decide to upgrade the HDD (it would be nice just not to have it humming!) what specification/ type of disc am I looking for?

Thanks

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:33

AvB wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:08
I found the power timer and added it. Thanks.

If I DID decide to upgrade the HDD (it would be nice just not to have it humming!) what specification/ type of disc am I looking for?

Thanks

So if a 2.5" SSD then a Samsung 870 Evo 1TB at about $138. WD Blue SSD equivalent about $10 more.

WD Blue 2.5" HDD 1TB about half that price.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

AvB
Apprentice

Post by AvB » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:42

OK thanks.

Return to “General Discussion”