HDMI connection Samsung TV to T4

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

nexus7
Master

HDMI connection Samsung TV to T4

Post by nexus7 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10

I recently bought a new TV (Samsung Q90A 4K 65").
But I cannot connect either my T4 or my DP-P1 through the HDMI ports.
Samsung have checked the TV and declared it perfect.
I have checked all my HDMI cables.
I *think* the problem may be that Samsung has implemented HDCP 2.2 (copy protection for 4K).
I note that my V2 does connect OK.
Can anybody help please?
Regards
Mike

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Re: HDMI connection Samsung TV to T4

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:14

nexus7 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10
I recently bought a new TV (Samsung Q90A 4K 65").
Samsung have checked the TV and declared it perfect.
I have checked all my HDMI cables.
I *think* the problem may be that Samsung has implemented HDCP 2.2 (copy protection for 4K).
Can anybody help please?
Regards
Mike

If that's the problem then it seems odd not to be backward compatible. HDCP 2.2 is used for 4k but, at lesser resolutions, my earlier model Samsung drops back to HDCP 1.0. Left-field idea if you have a HDMI splitter: does feeding either the T4 or the P1 via the splitter make a difference?
Samsung QA65Q80TAWXXY 4K TV
Samsung HW Q800BXY soundbar
OverlayHD 1.70, IceTV, Foxtel IQ4
2 x Win7 PCs, 2 x Win10 PCs
Denon AVR -X2400H

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jun 02, 2022 13:14

nexus7 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:10

Can you set the resolution per input port? If so, try lower resolutions.
Can you set an "enhanced" mode or similar? If so, try disabling.
Does either the T4 or DP-P1 work in the HDMI port that the V2 is using?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 02, 2022 16:39

This isn't HDCP, rather it is most likely to be the "Enhanced HDMI" mode causing problems with old HDMI devices.

The DP series is definitely incompatible with new 4K displays that have "Enhanced HDMI" enabled on their HDMI inputs.
I thought that the T4 worked on "Enhanced" connections, but my recollection may be faulty there. The T2 and T3 are not compatible, but the U4 and V2 are compatible.

To fix this you would need to turn off Enhanced HDMI mode on one of the TV's HDMI inputs, and plug the problematic device into that port rather than connect via your Receiver. You will need to rely on ARC to take audio back to the receiver via the TV.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:45

Thank you Paul, Grumpy and McQuade.
Splitter does not help.
Using the port the V2 was using doesn't help.
I can't find a way of reducing the resolution, but I'm still looking.
Same goes for turning off 'advanced mode' - I'm still looking.
I will report back if I have any success.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45

nexus7 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:45

I don't have a Sumsung, but the opposite of this?
https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-a ... 4k-uhd-tv/

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45
I don't have a Sumsung, but the opposite of this?
https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-a ... 4k-uhd-tv/
That looks like the equivalent setting.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Fri Jun 03, 2022 13:18

nexus7 wrote:
Splitter does not help.

I have a Samsung QN90A, and the "Enhanced HDMI" mode referred to by MrQuade is "Input Signal Plus" under "External Device Manager" in the settings. With the QN90A it can be enabled, or disabled, separately for each HDMI input. However, it is my vague recollection that if enabled on one input it can affect performance on other inputs. I could be wrong about that. I have them all disabled, and only enable them when needed for occasional HDR adventures.

It is also my recollection that Input Signal Plus is not enabled by default, but it may be that somehow an HDMI input of yours has triggered it.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 14:36

raymondjpg wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 13:18
nexus7 wrote:
Splitter does not help.

I have a Samsung QN90A, and the "Enhanced HDMI" mode referred to by MrQuade is "Input Signal Plus" under "External Device Manager" in the settings. With the QN90A it can be enabled, or disabled, separately for each HDMI input. However, it is my vague recollection that if enabled on one input it can affect performance on other inputs. I could be wrong about that. I have them all disabled, and only enable them when needed for occasional HDR adventures.

It is also my recollection that Input Signal Plus is not enabled by default, but it may be that somehow an HDMI input of yours has triggered it.

Thanks for the tip!

With Input Signal Plus enabled my T3 loses sound but still has a picture, Can't easily try the T4 but I'd expect a similar result, possibly with sound,
Denon AVR -X2400H

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 15:53

I tried to enable Input Signal Plus for my DP-P1 but it is 'not permitted' and stays greyed out.
I cannot find my T4 shown anywhere on the 'sources' although it is plugged in and turned fully on.
I have now tried and checked
- All the HDMI ports - all work for the V2
- Many different HDMI cables (including one brand new 'super deluxe 4K'.
- Both my DP-P1 and T4 were working on my old Samsung TV, and appear to be working (ie selected channels show on small screen)
- All HDMI cables are securely plugged in.
- I have tried 'enhanced' mode both on and off.
- A two hour session on the phone with Samsung support did not fix it. I was then 'elevated to level 2 support'. They called me back and checked the TV remotely and declared the TV to be perfect, and if they send out a technician they will charge for it.
So my advice for Wiz owners (T4 and older) is to avoid buying a Samsung TV, as they cannot fix the HDMI connection issue.
- Samsung told me to refer the matter to Beyonwiz for advice. But my requests for warranty support for my V2 have gone unanswered for months, and it is not possible to contact them by phone or email, so that avenue is closed off.
Any advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jun 09, 2022 16:18

nexus7 wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 15:53

You could try a HDMI switch
e.g. $19.89 - https://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-4k-a ... y_p4360492
$20 - https://www.msy.com.au/online/kvm-av-sw ... 1-out.html
$29 - https://www.msy.com.au/online/hdmi-swit ... emote.html

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jun 09, 2022 17:35

nexus7 wrote:
I tried to enable Input Signal Plus for my DP-P1 but it is 'not permitted' and stays greyed out.
That's good, the TV has likely worked out the DP is *SO* old that it can't be compatible.
nexus7 wrote:
I cannot find my T4 shown anywhere on the 'sources' although it is plugged in and turned fully on.
It's probably trying to detect it using CEC, which is disabled by default on the T4.
nexus7 wrote:
- A two hour session on the phone with Samsung support did not fix it. I was then 'elevated to level 2 support'. They called me back and checked the TV remotely and declared the TV to be perfect, and if they send out a technician they will charge for it.
You are unlikely to get a lot of joy via the Samsung support channel.
nexus7 wrote:
So my advice for Wiz owners (T4 and older) is to avoid buying a Samsung TV, as they cannot fix the HDMI connection issue.
I am sure we can get it to work, I would find it highly unusual for it to be completely incompatible.

I would recommend that you only have "Signal Plus" turned on for the HDMI port that your receiver is plugged into.
Turn off Signal Plus on every other port.

Make sure you fully switch the T4 off.
It would also be worth turning off the TV and unplugging it from power for a few seconds as well.
Plug the T4 into one of the spare TV inputs (one with Signal Plus already turned off).
Turn the TV on and wait for it to finish starting up.
Power the T4 on.
Switch the TV to the correct input.
The T4 should have no problem displaying a picture in those conditions.

If there is no picture, you might want to try pressing the TV out button on the T4 remote to try some different resolutions (or do this via OpenWebIf over your network).

Just out of curiosity, what failure are you actually seeing? Are you getting no picture whatsoever from the T4 and DP? or are you getting picture and no sound?

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Thu Jun 09, 2022 18:44

nexus7 wrote:

Please check you are connecting the T4 using its HDMI-out port.
If the T4 is in standby and not sending output via the HDMI-out port, then switching TV inputs via the "sources" button won't detect the HDMI input the T4 is connected to - so check the T4's front panel to ensure you're displaying a menu or media selection list.

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:59

Thank you very much for your input.

I have tried the MrQuade fix, but no joy. But the HDMI port does now show in the TV sources panel.
Can you elaborate on your "TV on remote to show reducing the resolution" please. When I press the TV out button on the remote I see nothing. Can you expand on the OpenwebIf solution please? what is it and how to access it.

Mr Grumpy. Yes, I have checked I am on HDMI out and not HDMI in - thank you. I do have an HDMI switch - are suggesting I run the HDMI cable from the Wiz through the switch to the TV?

Thank you again for your patience and perseverance.
Regards Mike

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:24

nexus7 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:59
Can you elaborate on your "TV on remote to show reducing the resolution" please. When I press the TV out button on the remote I see nothing. Can you expand on the OpenwebIf solution please? what is it and how to access it.

Open this URL in a browser on your computer - http://beyonwizt4
Then expand the "virtual remote" by clicking on the double-headed angled arrow
Click the "Capture Screenshot" link. You should now see an image of what was shown by the T4 at the time.
You can control the T4 using the virtual remote.
nexus7 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:59
I do have an HDMI switch - are suggesting I run the HDMI cable from the Wiz through the switch to the TV?

Yes, try that.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:51

MrQuade wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 17:35
I would recommend that you only have "Signal Plus" turned on for the HDMI port that your receiver is plugged into.

I don't think that is a good idea, at least during test setup of the T4 or DP-P1. I have indicated previously that Input Signal Plus implemented on any port could be affecting performance on the others.

There are four HDMI inputs for the Q90A in Australian sold sets; elsewhere (I forget the details) connectivity is via one HDMI 2.1 input connected to some external device that allows for multiple HDMI connections to the one HDMI input on the TV.

For Australian users, the topmost HDMI input (I think HDMI1) is labelled "Game " and is the only input that supports HDMI 2.1. Another port supports eARC (I think HDMI3), so because I (and the T4 and DP-P1) have no immediate need for HDMI 2.1 or eARC I plug my Yamaha receiver into HDMI4.

Input signal plus is *disabled* on *all* HDMI inputs.

So as to avoid any possible handshake compatibility issues between sources, receiver and TV, I'd suggest testing the T4 and DP-P1 independently on HDMI4, or perhaps HDMI2.

I have a U4 that works fine through the Yamaha receiver, but I note that a V2 is working OK with the Q90A.

As far as I can tell the Q90A works in 4K all of the time, and other resolutions input are "intelligently upscaled" to accommodate them.

I see no reason why a T4 and DP-P1shouldn't work with input signal plus disabled, so I'd not be abandoning all hope yet.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 12, 2022 13:38

raymondjpg wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:51

Input signal plus is *disabled* on *all* HDMI inputs.

As far as I can tell the Q90A works in 4K all of the time, and other resolutions input are "intelligently upscaled" to accommodate them.
4k will work with signal plus disabled, thats got in question. You won't get correct HDR without it enabled though.

I also doubt that enabling signal plus on one input will affect other inputs unless Samsung have seriously messed up their engineering.

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jun 12, 2022 15:48

nexus7 wrote:

I have never seen anything like that. As far as I know Input Signal Plus can be enabled or disabled on any one of the four HDMI inputs, independently of what might, or might not, be plugged into them.

You should be seeing something like this

Input Signal Plus.jpg
In this case, HDMI1-3 are disabled, and HDMI4 enabled.

You should be able to select each HDMI input independently and toggle enabled/disabled.

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 15:57

Wow! Thank you for all your help. It nearly works.
I have followed all of your suggestions (there are probably ten million combinations :)
I was about to give up, but then I re-fitted the HDMI splitter and Hey Presto! (Thank you Grumpy) - Just how or why it works I don't know.
However I get the occasional momentary black screen and no sound - perhaps less than one second - on live TV and with playback. The recording is fine because playing it twice shows blackouts in different spots - so the issue is between the Wiz and the TV - relating to the HDMI cable with the splitter. I have Input Signal Plus disabled on all four ports.
Any ideas? Thanks again Mike

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jun 12, 2022 16:01

MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 13:38
4k will work with signal plus disabled, thats got in question. You won't get correct HDR without it enabled though.

Precisely why I indicated that the T4 and DP-P1 don't need it.
MrQuade wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 13:38
I also doubt that enabling signal plus on one input will affect other inputs unless Samsung have seriously messed up their engineering.

I would have thought so too, but stumbling around with settings when I first had the TV I gained an impression that configuration for mainly SDR operation was best done with Input Signal Plus disabled on all HDMI inputs.

If you look back to what Paul_oz53 posted

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 14:36
Thanks for the tip!

With Input Signal Plus enabled my T3 loses sound but still has a picture, Can't easily try the T4 but I'd expect a similar result, possibly with sound,

He may or may not be talking about disabling Input Signal Plus on all HDMI inputs. Maybe he could confirm?

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Sun Jun 12, 2022 16:33

nexus7 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 15:57
Wow! Thank you for all your help. It nearly works.
I have followed all of your suggestions (there are probably ten million combinations :)
I was about to give up, but then I re-fitted the HDMI splitter and Hey Presto! (Thank you Grumpy) - Just how or why it works I don't know.
However I get the occasional momentary black screen and no sound - perhaps less than one second - on live TV and with playback. The recording is fine because playing it twice shows blackouts in different spots - so the issue is between the Wiz and the TV - relating to the HDMI cable with the splitter. I have Input Signal Plus disabled on all four ports.
Any ideas? Thanks again Mike

You have said that "When I press the TV out button on the remote I see nothing." Was that for the T4? A similar procedure is documented for a DP-P2: from the manual

The default video output is SD PAL (576i).
Press the TV-OUT button successively to switch the video output to SD
NTSC (480i), HD PAL (720p), HD NTSC (720p), HDMI PAL (1080i),
HDMI NTSC (1080i), PAL HDMI Auto, NTSC HDMI Auto, HDMI PAL
(576p) and HDMI NTSC (480p) formats. Select the video output to suit
your chosen video connection type

I've seen it said many times in this forum that one should wait a while between each press of TV out to see what, if anything, will work.

Also, there is evidence in this thread that video may work via HDMI with a T3, T4, and perhaps a DP-P1, but that audio might not. I have no idea why, although my recollection of hooking up a DP-P2 many years ago was probably via component with a separate connection for audio, probably optical.

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Sun Jun 12, 2022 18:06

raymondjpg wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 16:01
Precisely why I indicated that the T4 and DP-P1 don't need it.
Yes, I have repeatedly said that it needs to be switched off for the ports that the T4 and DP are connected to.

It only needs to be switched on for the port that connects to the receiver, for any HDR capable devices that connect to that,

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 18:44

raymondjpg wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 16:01

If you look back to what Paul_oz53 posted

Paul_oz53 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 14:36
Thanks for the tip!

He may or may not be talking about disabling Input Signal Plus on all HDMI inputs. Maybe he could confirm?

Happy to clarify: My Samsung TV is operating in 1080p50 mode at the moment. Input Signal Plus is turned off on all inputs.

With it turned off the T3 and U4 work normally with pictures and sound.

With it turned on the T3 has pictures but no sound. The U4 has pictures and sound.

When we move I will upgrade the system to 4k mode but we are thinking of buying a new, bigger screen.
Denon AVR -X2400H

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39

Hi Grumpy + raymond.
Just confirming - when I press the TV out button on my T4, I see nothing on screen.
By "TV out button" I presume you refer to the top left hand button on the remote next to the power button ?
Is there a way of trying different resolutions in the Menu?
Regards Mike

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jun 13, 2022 13:00

nexus7 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:39
Just confirming - when I press the TV out button on my T4, I see nothing on screen.
By "TV out button" I presume you refer to the top left hand button on the remote next to the power button ?

Nah - that's the "controlling the TV" button - you need the remote to be controlling the Wiz, so press the "STB" button.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jun 13, 2022 13:04

nexus7 wrote:
Hi Grumpy + raymond.

There is no TV Out button on a T4 remote.
nexus7 wrote:

No, the TV button on the left of the POWER button switches the remote to send codes to control your TV instead of sending codes to control the T4. To go back to sending codes to control the T4, press the STB button to the right of the POWER button. The remote needs to be configured for it to send the correct codes for your TV.

There is no TV Out button on a T4 remote.
nexus7 wrote:

Yes, MENU>Setup>AV setup>AV settings, and try changing the Mode setting. You will be asked if the new setting is OK, and you simply press OK, or allow the popup to time out (after 20 seconds), the setting will revert to its old value.

Once you are in the correct settings screen, the details of the in-focus setting will be shown on the front panel, but the front panel doesn't offer any help in navigating into the correct settings screen if you have no video from the T4 on youyr TV.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

raymondjpg
Guru

Post by raymondjpg » Mon Jun 13, 2022 15:41

nexus7 wrote:
Hi Grumpy + raymond.
Regards Mike

From the responses here you should now know how to switch to T4 control, but the fact that the T4 does not have a TV Out button is not helping things.

prl advises how to try different resolutions in the menu, and if you cannot see anything on the Samsung TV then another way to get to the menu would be through the OpenWebif interface that you may or may not, have already tried. It would be a matter of trial and error selecting different resolutions through the Webif interface then checking back at the Samsung to see if you get video. If you do get a resolution that works you can then try some other resolutions through the menu via the Samsung.

You might also try the TV-Out button press procedure with the DP-P1. I posted an extract from the DP-P2 manual (above) that describes how to do this. The DP-P1 procedure should be the same.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jun 13, 2022 15:50

raymondjpg wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 15:41
... and if you cannot see anything on the Samsung TV then another way to get to the menu would be through the OpenWebif interface that you may or may not, have already tried.

He can't - the T4 doesn't have a working network connection.

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 16:38

Hi nexus7,

Re getting the occasional flashing black screen, I get that too. It appears occasionally when watching Foxtel via hdmi in. It appears that the TV doesn't like the lack of the HDCP signal but rebooting restores functionality.
Denon AVR -X2400H

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 14:53

Well ... my T4 has been working well for a few weeks - with an HDMI splitter between the TV and the T4 (thank you Grumpy).
(I get no picture or sound with just a straight HDMI cable).
But today, the sound simply cut out - perfect picture, but no sound.
(Yes, I have checked 'mute' and all other possible suspects).
The TV works fine, and it works with my V2.
I have tried a few different HDMI cables, but no luck.
I suspect the HDMI connection.
Any ideas?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Post by MrQuade » Thu Jul 14, 2022 15:14

nexus7 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 14:53
Is that happening on both the T4 and the DP-P1?

Have you tried turning the T4's Dolby/DTS downmixing option off to see if you get sound that way?

nexus7
Master

Post by nexus7 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 15:47

MrQuade
No- it's happening on the T4 only.
I will try turning off the T4's Dolby/downmixing off.
Thanks
Mike

Paul_oz53
Wizard

Post by Paul_oz53 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 17:26

nexus7 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 14:53
Well ... my T4 has been working well for a few weeks - with an HDMI splitter between the TV and the T4 (thank you Grumpy).
(I get no picture or sound with just a straight HDMI cable).
(Yes, I have checked 'mute' and all other possible suspects).
The TV works fine, and it works with my V2.
I have tried a few different HDMI cables, but no luck.
I suspect the HDMI connection.
Any ideas?

I used to get that recording HDMI IN via a splitter on the T4 occasionally. The only way to fix it was to turn off the power switch on the T4 for 10-20 seconds and repower it on. Rebooting won't reset the silicon.
Denon AVR -X2400H

Return to “General Discussion”