Steam itunes on the Beyonwiz

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

Kreisler
Apprentice

Steam itunes on the Beyonwiz

Post by Kreisler » Thu Jun 18, 2020 17:59

Hi all,

I have a V2 and was wondering if it is possible to stream music from Itunes via the beyonwiz much like a sonos connect does. I guess there would need to be a plugin or something for this functionality. I can't seem to find one.

Cheers

Andrew

prl
Wizard God

Re: Steam itunes on the Beyonwiz

Post by prl » Thu Jun 18, 2020 18:12

There doesn't seem to be anything. A google search turned up an enigma2 plugin called OpenAir that's supposed to allow stuff to be played over Apple AirPlay to an enigma2 box, but it's not in the Beyonwiz plugins feed (nor anything else with iTunes or AirPlay in its name).

Most of the discussion about it seems to be in German, so you may need to use Google Translate or similar.

The Beyonwiz firmware is based on the OE-Alliance enigma2 PVR Open Source firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Kreisler
Apprentice

Post by Kreisler » Thu Jun 18, 2020 19:29

Sound like u found what I did not much really. I am very new to the beyonwiz. What is enigma2?

peteru
Uber Wizard

Post by peteru » Thu Jun 18, 2020 22:49

Early versions of the T-series firmware used to have airplay support (not all that useful for streaming from iTunes) that used a plugin based on undocumented reverse engineered code. Apple, being the closed eco-system they are, ensured that this did not work and the plugin was broken more often than not. The plugin was removed from the Beyonwiz firmware a long time ago. I'm not sure if any other enigma2 based distros still try to make a use of that plugin - it may be dead now.

In general, do not expect support for any content platform that insists on DRM (copy protection). Apple, Netflix, Disney, Sony, etc.
This is because the nature of open source software, as used on the Beyonwiz hardware, makes it harder for these companies to assert control over your hardware and your behaviour. They do not have the means to stop you from doing what you want to do. As a result these companies put up barriers so that you have to access their content using the methods that they insist on. All designed to give them enough control to exercise price discrimination and maximise profit.

"Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder."
Blog.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:58

Kreisler wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 19:29
What is enigma2?
prl wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 18:12
The Beyonwiz firmware is based on the OE-Alliance enigma2 PVR Open Source firmware.

The OpenEmbeeded Alliance (OE-Alliance) is a group of developers of Open Source Linux-based firmware for embedded systems.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

Return to “General Discussion”