where is my trash from usb recordings?

Discuss Beyonwiz related topics here if they don't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

chochook
Apprentice

where is my trash from usb recordings?

Post by chochook » Mon Jul 18, 2022 15:39

so following on from my other woes in the other post of the usb external hdd crashing, i deleted a whole lot of stuff from it thru the V2. But there never was a 'trash' folder on /media/usb where i have all timed recordings go onto.

On media/hdd its actually the sd card, it shows as empty. Seems to be another trash in root dir which is also empty. So where has the 137gb of trash gone to & how can i delete it forever?

I would also like there to be a trash folder for usb content just in case i do want to recover a recording i accidentally deleted, if i create one won't it just revert to putting it into the sd card trash folder?

MrQuade
Uber Wizard

Re: where is my trash from usb recordings?

Post by MrQuade » Mon Jul 18, 2022 15:51

I think that "Trash" is only used on the storage device that is mounted as /hdd.

prl made a post that describes how the Trash folder(s) work on /hdd.

Basically though, /hdd/movie/.Trash is for stuff you have deleted in the movie folder, and /hdd/.Trash is for anything that isn't in the movie folder.

The Trash folder gets cleaned up automatically after a configurable number of days, or if the disk fills up and the Wiz wants to make room, it will just start culling the oldest stuff from Trash.

If you want to manually empty the Trash folder, you can either "delete" the Trash folder itself, which the GUI interprets as "empty Trash". Or you can go into the Trash folder, and manually delete any file there on an individual basis.
Logitech Harmony Ultimate+Elite RCs
Beyonwiz T2/3/U4/V2, DP-S1 PVRs
Denon AVR-X3400h, LG OLED65C7T TV
QNAP TS-410 NAS, Centos File Server (Hosted under KVM)
Ubiquiti UniFi Managed LAN/WLAN, Draytek Vigor130/Asus RT-AC86U Internet
Pixel 4,5&6, iPad 3 Mobile Devices

chochook
Apprentice

Post by chochook » Mon Jul 18, 2022 15:57

MrQuade wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 15:51
I think that "Trash" is only used on the storage device that is mounted as /hdd.

prl made a post that describes how the Trash folder(s) work on /hdd.

Basically though, /hdd/movie/.Trash is for stuff you have deleted in the movie folder, and /hdd/.Trash is for anything that isn't in the movie folder.

The Trash folder gets cleaned up automatically after a configurable number of days, or if the disk fills up and the Wiz wants to make room, it will just start culling the oldest stuff from Trash.

If you want to manually empty the Trash folder, you can either "delete" the Trash folder itself, which the GUI interprets as "empty Trash". Or you can go into the Trash folder, and manually delete any file there on an individual basis.
but all trash folders are showing empty, pressing media it goes to usb hdd which i have 137gb of deleted files on (that sounds correct as i deleted loads of stuff last night).

Also showing the rest of the hdd full, unless this is a result of the usb hdd playing up again. I do have alot of stuff on there but before deleting there was still about 80% free disk space according to pressing media.

Information>devices is showing usb hdd to be full too.

Grumpy_Geoff
Uber Wizard

Post by Grumpy_Geoff » Mon Jul 18, 2022 16:55

chochook wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 15:39
so following on from my other woes in the other post of the usb external hdd crashing, i deleted a whole lot of stuff from it thru the V2. But there never was a 'trash' folder on /media/usb where i have all timed recordings go onto.

On media/hdd its actually the sd card, it shows as empty. Seems to be another trash in root dir which is also empty. So where has the 137gb of trash gone to & how can i delete it forever?

I would also like there to be a trash folder for usb content just in case i do want to recover a recording i accidentally deleted, if i create one won't it just revert to putting it into the sd card trash folder?

Using an SDcard and a USB drive, you should have four x '.Trash' directories -

Code: Select all

root@beyonwizv2:~# find /media/hdd /media/usb -name '.Trash'
/media/hdd/movie/.Trash
/media/hdd/.Trash
/media/usb/.Trash
/media/usb/movie/.Trash
root@beyonwizv2:~#
What do you have as Default movie location, Timer recording location, Instant recording location in MENU>>Setup>>Recording settings.

What do you have for "Use trash in movie list" in MEDIA>>MENU>>Settings...?

If you've mucked around with the default locations (i.e. not recording into a "movie" directory or sub-directory), then very likely the deleted recordings will go into the parent .Trash

chochook
Apprentice

Post by chochook » Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:14

Grumpy_Geoff wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 16:55
If you've mucked around with the default locations (i.e. not recording into a "movie" directory or sub-directory), then very likely the deleted recordings will go into the parent .Trash
"What do you have as Default movie location, Timer recording location, Instant recording location in MENU>>Setup>>Recording settings."
all are set to media/usb

"What do you have for "Use trash in movie list" in MEDIA>>MENU>>Settings...?"

its turned on, i even set it to 'remove items from trash after days' to 0 hoping it would force it to delete them, also rebooted after making that change to see if it would force delete the trash but nope.

but in an odd twist lol, i go into media/usb thru the v2 again then for some unknown reason i find the Trash thingo all the way down the end of the list of recordings! not just under the other dirs where i thought it would be, so have now emptied it. Not that surprising i couldn't see trash though since the list of recorded items is 225, time to do more sorting :roll: :lol:

Feeling rather silly now, but thanks for your help! :oops:

Just adding though, i wouldn't say i mucked around with the directories. I just set it up to have timeshifting record to the sd card, so i could keep the usb hard drive freed up for timer/instant recordings. It was actually to try and avoid putting too much strain on the usb hdd. i often record a show & watch another at the same time, so if i also had timeshifting saving to the usb hdd too it would have to do a hell of alot of work.

i think maybe there's still issues there though, maybe its marked bad sectors when i did the fix which are taking up room on the usb hard drive. Because now i've deleted the trash it should have more than 137gb free, which was the amount deleted, and i thought the drive was at least 15% available space there before the initial deleting, if that makes sense. Time will tell i guess... 8)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri Jul 22, 2022 17:33

chochook wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 20:14
but in an odd twist lol, i go into media/usb thru the v2 again then for some unknown reason i find the Trash thingo all the way down the end of the list of recordings!

That's where the Trash folder has always been, for better or worse, ever since the release of the Beyonwiz T3, the first of the new series.

Starting at the top of the list of recordings (the ".." entry), pressing CH- will take you to the first recording (or media file), pressing CH- again will take you to Trash. CH+ will take you in big jumps in the opposite direction.

It sounds like your setup would benefit from using more folders, or even Series2Folder.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

chochook
Apprentice

Post by chochook » Sun Jul 24, 2022 22:19

prl wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 17:33

It sounds like your setup would benefit from using more folders, or even Series2Folder.
yes probably. But i don't use Icetv, do i need it for that plugin?

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jul 25, 2022 09:45

chochook wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 22:19
prl wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 17:33

yes probably. But i don't use Icetv, do i need it for that plugin?

Series2Folder was written to use with IceTV, but it doesn't depend on anything in IceTV. There are people who use it with the broadcast EPG, too. It saves having to set a recording location in repeated timers for series.

Series2Folder is handy for IceTV because there's no convenient way to set a recording location for IceTV series recording timers.

Series2Folder can also put existing series recordings into folders, not just moving new recordings into them.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

chochook
Apprentice

Post by chochook » Mon Jul 25, 2022 23:41

sounds very handy then, i'll take a look when i get time, thanks

Return to “General Discussion”