H1 wont play S1 / P1 files and S1 / P1 wont play H1 files

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

mick_queensland
Master

H1 wont play S1 / P1 files and S1 / P1 wont play H1 files

Post by mick_queensland » Thu May 12, 2011 18:48

Another H1 file playing problem to add to the list of them in the Forum.

For some unknown reason, my H1 stopped being able to play recorded files from my S1 or P1 over my network. All the settings for wizpnp are correct, and they havent changed or been touched. I can play an AVI file from my PC with the H1 which proves the network settings are correct. The H1 lists all the machines on the network, (the S1, P1 and PC) correctly, and I can list the recordings from them on the H1 ok. I can play recordings between the S1 and the P1 without any problems.

When I try to play a recorded file from or to the H1 an error is displayed, it comes up with "Unsupported Format" and reverts to the file list. (same error on both the H1 and the S1)

I was using FW01.05.346 so I upgraded that to 01.05.350 but the results are the same.

I have disabled the wizpnp server and client on the H1 and re-enabled them again just to see what happens, but its the same.

Any ideas :idea: are welcome.

Cheers, Mick
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Thu May 12, 2011 23:26

I would suggest pressing the soundtrack key on whetever is your server machine, to reindex the files, possibly your index has got corrupted. You might be able to tell this by using WizFX and seeing what is listed (or not listed).

Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 09:31

The fact that the S1 and the P1 can play recordings from each other suggests that the problem is not with the file indexes on either of those machines, but I can't think of anything that would just affect the H1 in the way that's described.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 13, 2011 09:45

Hi Mick,

Have you tried restarting the DP-H1 to check if a codec has crashed? That is, restart the Beyonwiz and see if the problem files now play properly.

The other possibility is that the recording file structure is incorrect. Perhaps Peter, or another DP-H1 owner can advise how the DP-H1 hard disk can be accessed via a computer such that the "stat" and "trunc" file names can be checked.

Regards,
Ian.
Last edited by IanSav on Fri May 13, 2011 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 09:47

[quote=" pressing the soundtrack key on whetever is your server machine, to reindex the files,[/quote]

Hi Tony, Ian,

thanks for the help. I tried re-indexing the files on the H1, and then turned on the S1 and selected the H1 recordings and re-indexed those files. Unfortunately the problem is still the same.

There are just over 400GB of recorded files stored on the 1TB HDD on the H1.

Wizfx shows all the recorded files on all my wizzer machines. I was able to download a recording from the H1 to my PC using Wizfx.

I tried a hard reboot of the H1 which made no difference.

I am almost out of ideas, and the one I have isnt what I want to do. (reset the H1 to factory and start again)

anyway, thanks again Tony & Ian.
cheers Mick
Last edited by mick_queensland on Fri May 13, 2011 10:10, edited 3 times in total.
V2 1TB SSD -> LG OLED C3 4K 48"; U4-1TB -> LG OLED C2 4K 65", Yamaha RX-V385 AV Receiver, Headphone Amp, Beyer DT-990 phones, Pioneer BDP-140; T2 1TB HDD -> Samsung UA43tu8000w Smart TV 43"; T3-2000 -> GVA G48tv15 48"; IceTV, GB LAN, NAS 3TB RAID1

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 10:00

Re-indexing always needs to be done on the server(s) (the P1 and S1 in your case), not on the client (the H1). But I doubt that it will help for the reasons I've already expressed.

Re-indexing in this context is about recreating/refreshing the index.txt file that the server sends to the client to tell it what recordings and media it has. Clearly that needs to be done on the server, and it seems to be being done correctly anyway.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 10:12

prl wrote:Re-indexing always needs to be done on the server(s) (the P1 and S1 in your case), not on the client (the H1). But I doubt that it will help for the reasons I've already expressed.

Re-indexing in this context is about recreating/refreshing the index.txt file that the server sends to the client to tell it what recordings and media it has. Clearly that needs to be done on the server, and it seems to be being done correctly anyway.
Hi Peter,

you are right, it didnt help. I tried re-indexing the H1 and the S1 and there is no difference to the fault condition.

I am out of ideas (cept for the factory reset idea :shock: )

cheers, Mick

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40

Hi Mick,
mick_queensland wrote:I am out of ideas (cept for the factory reset idea :shock: )
What about my suggestion for checking that the "stat", "trunc" and "header.tvwiz" files are correct in every recording directory?

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40

The puzzling thing about this is the fact that you can fetch the index.txt file -- that means that the H1 can find the two servers using SSDP, and use the HTTP servers on them to fetch the index.txt files. The contents of the index.txt files appear to be OK, because you get a sensible listing of the recordings, and streaming between the two servers works. I'm puzzled about why it can't then fetch the header files and/or recording data files for the recordings.

I don't think that anything pertinent to the state of the WizPnP connection between the H1 and the other boxes is stored in the config flash (other than the enable/disable settings for the client and server functions and the server's name, if the server is enabled), though I'd need to go back and have a look to be sure. If I'm right there, a factory rest won't help, either. But maybe it's worth the effort of reconstructing all your settings to see if it does help.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42

IanSav wrote:Hi Mick,
mick_queensland wrote:I am out of ideas (cept for the factory reset idea :shock: )
What about my suggestion for checking that the "stat", "trunc" and "header.tvwiz" files are correct in every recording directory?

Regards,
Ian.
The recordings in question can be played between the two servers, the S1 and the P1. There's no reason to think that the header files are missing or corrupted.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 13, 2011 11:06

Hi Peter,

I appear to have misread the original post.

I wonder if there might be some sort of minor network error or corruption. Perhaps the network cables can be checked/tested.

Regards,
Ian.

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 11:12

prl wrote:The puzzling thing about this is the fact that you can fetch the index.txt file -- that means that the H1 can find the two servers using SSDP, and use the HTTP servers on them to fetch the index.txt files. The contents of the index.txt files appear to be OK, because you get a sensible listing of the recordings, and streaming between the two servers works. I'm puzzled about why it can't then fetch the header files and/or recording data files for the recordings.

I don't think that anything pertinent to the state of the WizPnP connection between the H1 and the other boxes is stored in the config flash (other than the enable/disable settings for the client and server functions and the server's name, if the server is enabled), though I'd need to go back and have a look to be sure. If I'm right there, a factory rest won't help, either. But maybe it's worth the effort of reconstructing all your settings to see if it does help.
Hi Peter,

just to confirm the fault for you, "Unsupported Format" shows on all machines (H1 and P1 and S1) when trying to play a recording from the H1 or on the H1.
I have server and client enabled in the H1 (in fact all my wizzers) I actually disabled those settings and re-enabled them, that was the first thing I did.
Second thing I did was hard reboot the H1. (and repeated the reboot after the FW upgrade)
Third was upgrade the FW to 350.
Fourth was to re-index the H1 and S1
Fifth was to rescan the network.

From the H1 I can see a sensible list of all files on both my S1 and P1.
From the P1 and S1 I can see a sensible list of the files on the H1.
I can download files from the H1 to the PC using WizFX
On the H1 I can play AVI files form the PC.

I am thinking that the codec has been corrupted for an unknown reason. :?

If I do a factory reset, will I need to format my USB drive? :shock:

Cheers and many thanks for the help so far, Mick

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 13, 2011 11:15

Hi Peter,

Mick's most recent post seems to support my corrupted "header.tvwiz", "stat" or "trunc" file suggestion. Can the recording disk from the DP-H1 be mounted under Linux so these files can easily be checked?

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 11:23

Hi Mick, Ian. I'm trying to reconcile Mick's most recent post with this, from his first in this topic:
mick_queensland wrote:For some unknown reason, my H1 stopped being able to play recorded files from my S1 or P1 over my network. All the settings for wizpnp are correct, and they havent changed or been touched. I can play an AVI file from my PC with the H1 which proves the network settings are correct. The H1 lists all the machines on the network, (the S1, P1 and PC) correctly, and I can list the recordings from them on the H1 ok. I can play recordings between the S1 and the P1 without any problems.
I've clearly read more into it that was there (there's no mention about the same recordings being unplayable on the H1 as a client and being playable on the S1 or P1 as a client), but that post is all about playing the recorcings hosted on the S1 and P1 remotely on the H1 as a client. Now, it's all about serving recordings from the H1.

Mick, can you please clarify just what the problem is?

Ian, yes, Linux and OS X can both mount the over-size cluster FAT32 format that's used by registered recording drives on the H1. Windows can't.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 11:42

Hi guys,

ok, I did forget to mention that the H1 can play its own recordings without problem. I randomly checked a half dozen or so and all were good. I checked the same recordings using both the P1 and S1 to play over the network and they will not play.

Using either the P1 or S1 to play any file from the H1 will result in the error message, Unsupported Format.

Using the H1 to play any file from either the S1 or P1 will result in the error message, Unsupported Format.

Using the H1 to play an AVI file from the PC works just fine.

Now that I have thought about it, my previous "guess/feeling" about the codec is obviously wrong as the H1 can play its own recordings.

Using the same logic, I dont see how the H1 USB HDD files recordings could have bad headers as the H1 is unable to play files from the S1 or P1 and these files play fine between the S1 and P1.

I can boot up linux on my pc and check the USB HDD, What should I be looking for? Given the paragraph above I am not sure there is much to see though.

Looking at the fault logically, we should examine common features; the H1 cannot serve or be client to the network. It can play its own recordings or other types of files from the network.

Of course, I will try pretty much anything, and I am getting to where I am going to reset it soon. Interesting problem huh!

Cheers, Mick

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 11:55

Hi guys,

I just ran a network utility to measure my connection speed around the house. Currently I have 50, 59 & 40 Mbps connections from the PC node to the three rooms. I think that is ample speed to play a wizzer file.

cheers, Mick

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02

Hi Mick,

Have you tried *reinstalling* the latest firmware on the DP-H1?

By the way, performing a factory default on the settings should not affect any recordings on the hard disk. As it is a DP-H1 you can remove the recording drive when you perform the reset and reconnect it later.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 12:28

Are you using wireless networking? What was the other end of the connection when you ran the network speed test? Was it a Beyonwiz? Seems unlikely, because a Beyonwiz doesn't normally allow transfers as fast as 50Mb/s, usually no more than half that. Was it the reported connection speed from the wireless network devices? That's generally going to be misleading as a measure of achievable throughput.

Going back to your question about examining the H1's HDD - the HDD has a top-level folder called Recordings. Inside that are any folders you created there on the H1, with the names you gave them, and one folder for each of the recordings directly in the Recordings folder.

The recording names are in the form ServiceName_DD.Mon.YYYY_MJDate.MJDtime (or something similar) if they haven't been renamed, and ServiceName is replaced by the name you gave the recording if it's been renamed.

Inside each recording folder are three header files
  1. header.tvwiz (or header.radwiz for a "radio" recording). It must be 524288 bytes.
  2. trunc - variable size, but it must be a multiple of 24 bytes.
  3. stat - must be 96 bytes
There are also a (usually fairly large) number of 32MiB recording data files. The last of these may be shorter than 32MiB.

A recording can be played locally even if it is missing its stat or trunc files, but a missing trunc file will probably cause remote playback to fail. You can check the contents of the header files using getWizPnp, especially using --verbose and --debug. The stat and trunc files are sometimes present under an incorrect name, and that can cause playback problems. They can generally be identified by their size: although 96 bytes is a possible size for the trunc file, it would be an unusually short recording (no more than a few minutes).

However, for recordings that are on the S1 or P1 and that can be played remotely on the other one of these two PVRs, but not on the H1, corruption of the header files is probably not the cause.

To examine the HDDs on the S1 or P1, you'd need to load hacked firmware with telnet enabled.

It could be a networking problem specific to the connection to the H1, but I'm not sure why that wouldn't also affect the network copying of the index.txt file.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 13:44

Ok guys,

I can confirm it is a network problem.

After initialising my H1 and setting it all up again I still had the same issues.

So, I reset all my network gadgets (I use a Repotec 200Mbps powerline network) I could not see how it could be a net problem when the links were all working and tested good, but I was ready to try anything. So, now, none of my wizzers work to play BW recordings over the network !!! Great!!!

Hmmm..... anyway, I am in process of re-initialising my powerline network.

Strange that I have not seen anything like this problem before

Anyway, I will report back when/if I get it all going again.

Cheers, Mick

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Fri May 13, 2011 15:52

Hi,

I am now officially tired of this problem.

I have reset all the powerline network gadgets, and as always one of them (the one on the S1) gave some grief. I have now got the network back up and running. The network utility that comes with the powerline gadgets is what I am using to measure speed. Once again I am seeing good connections at about 56, 62 & 49 Mbps. I am not sure how it determines these speeds Peter, but the utility communicates with the gadgets so that probably how. Note that the gadgets run in half duplex mode (since they are on powerlines) but this has not been a problem for the last 2-3 years.

The problem is still there.

I have to go out tonight, so problem will have to wait. I will check the recordings tomorrow.

cheers, Mick

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Fri May 13, 2011 16:08

mick_queensland wrote:... Once again I am seeing good connections at about 56, 62 & 49 Mbps. I am not sure how it determines these speeds Peter, but the utility communicates with the gadgets so that probably how.
It's most likely the rough equivalent of the synch speed that an ADSL model will report. It's how much Ethernet speed the gear has managed to squeeze out of the underlying physical layer, and so it's the maximum data rate for the connection to that device.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Fri May 13, 2011 16:19

Hi Mick,

It may be time to move the Beyonwiz units closer together so you can run some tests with an Ethernet cable. This will help you to localise or identify the problem.

Regards,
Ian.

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Fri May 13, 2011 18:51

Are you using DHCP on the Wizes? If not, have you accidentally set one of them up to have the same IP address as something else?
It might be wise to check all IP addresses in your home network anyway. Example why: If you fix the address of one appliance to 192.168.0.3 for example, but have your DHCP server (typically router) range to be 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254, there is the potential depending on how crummy the router is (most are) to issue 192.168.0.3 to the next machine that asks for an IP address after the 192.168.0.2 machine had its address setup. So this can end up in a clash (of course Peter will say that a DHCP server will first check that 192.168.0.3 is not already on the network before allocating it, but I would not suspect most home routers to do that).
Regards
Tony

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Sat May 14, 2011 10:25

Hi guys,

Tony, I know of the problems associated with DHCP. When I got my second wizzer I had DHCP running on them and it was a disaster. I changed over to static IPs to get it all working reliably at that time.

My home network is a combination of
Wired cat5e; Router, Server PC, Main Powerline network gadget, switch.
Wirless G from Router using DHCP; my wireless printer has a static IPs to avoid conflicts, Printer, Laptop 1 & Laptop 2 are DHCP.
PowerLine 200Mbps network; 4 units and the main one connected to my router has a static IP. The gadgets sort out their own network once they are powered up and synched. The gadgets connect the wizzers and an entertainment PC occasionally.

This network setup has been working very well for years, I find it hard to believe that there is a problem with it, and after resetting the powerline gadgets yesterday and the problem is exactly the same today makes me think its something else.

Having said that, I can see the merit in Ian's idea. Its just a pain to actually do it. The wizzer is kinda fixed in position and is going to take a bit of messing with to move. My plan is to put the H1 on top of the S1 and connect them to the network through a 100mb switch so they will be basically connected together by the switch. That should eliminate any powerline network issues. I will let you know the results of that test.

Something that occurred to me while thinking on this problem.
It would be nice to be able to choose the type of network connection in the wizzer setup, EG: Full Duplex or Half Duplex since there may be some owners who use powerline networks and these networks work more reliably with half duplex setting in the NIC.

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat May 14, 2011 11:34

Hi Mick,

Half duplex has gone the way of the DoDo. You really should have a network fabric capable of running full duplex.

By the way, I think you should be setting your network up so that all devices get their IP address from a DHCP server and the server configured to always allocates the same IP address to the same MAC address (device).

It is also worth noting that network devices, like all technology, is subject to failure. Just because your network has been working very well for years doesn't mean that parts of it can't fail. Running the tests of linking the Beyonwiz units with plain CAT5 cables will help you locate the issue. (Hint, you can get some very long cables that may allow you to test the equipment without having to actually move it.)

Regards,
Ian.

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Sat May 14, 2011 13:23

Hi Ian, Guys,

OK, confirmed that the powerline network is causing the strange problem with the H1. I will start to fault find the network by swapping gadgets around to see if the problem moves with the one from the H1. I will also check the short cat5e cable from the H1 to the gadget.

I suggested the half duplex mode because on my powerline gadget instructions that is the suggestion to try if there are network problems. I do agree that I havent seen half duplex used on a NIC for a very long time. It is however still an option. I bet the latest wave of powerline gadgets dont have need for half duplex though. The latest are suggesting speeds of 1Gbps. So perhaps it is an option that should not be introduced to the BW as it just complicates things more.

Anyway, while I have the H1 out of its nest, I am going to extinguish the Blue Circle of Fire which has been keeping "the other half" awake at night. I will also apply a judicious amount of tape over the Blue Eye of Doom on the WD 1TB HDD. It has been "looking" at us like a "cylon" every night. :lol:

Back to the soldering iron....
cheers for the help
Mick

Oh yeah, Ian, why do you recommend using the DHCP and Mac addresses to fix the IP? Just because it is more elegant?

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat May 14, 2011 14:52

Ni Mick,
mick_queensland wrote:Oh yeah, Ian, why do you recommend using the DHCP and Mac addresses to fix the IP? Just because it is more elegant?
Elegance is a small part of the suggestion. The more significant aspect is that I have seen some routers get confused when there are DHCP allocated and fixed IP addressed machines on a single network. Some routers incorrectly allocate an already used fixed IP address to another device. Obviously this causes some potentially nasty problems. Having fixed IP addresses allocated by the DHCP server in the router generally solves any such potential problems. Another handy benefit is that if you move equipment around then having the equipment always ask the local network for its address means that there are fewer issues and conflicts as the equipment moves from one site to the next.

Regards,
Ian.

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat May 14, 2011 17:00

mick_queensland wrote: I am going to extinguish the Blue Circle of Fire which has been keeping "the other half" awake at night.
Is that what they are calling it nowadays? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Sat May 14, 2011 17:25

Hi Ian,

my network is just a little more elegant now, :) unfortunately that wasnt the problem.

Now I will move the powerline gadgets around to see if the problem moves with them

Cheers
Mick

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Sat May 14, 2011 18:38

hi guys,

I have resolved the problem.

Not too sure how it worked but I moved the gadgets around, eg: bedroom to study, lounge to bedroom, study to lounge and then tested all the network playing between all the wizzers. Oddly, all work now :? Anyway, the other half is happy and along the way the Blue Circle of Fire was doused to an acceptable glow, the Blue Cylon Eye from the WD HDD is now a dim glow too. I dont know what they call "that" these days Paul, but its not "Blue Circle of Fire" :lol:

So, what was the problem? That's a damn fine question! I cannot answer it. I tried the unit that was attached to the H1 on the P1 and it worked fine there. I then moved it to the Study where it is the router network link and it works fine there too. So, I have no idea. :oops:

It is tempting to knock some holes in the walls and floors to run cat6 around the house :shock: Still kicking myself for not running cable when I built 11 years ago.

Also along the way I found some other issues with the different models which is fodder for other threads. (Network AVI file playback issues with the P1 and S1 while the H1 plays them fine!)

OK, thanks for all the help to everyone.
cheers, Mick

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat May 14, 2011 19:46

Hi Mick,

Good to know it wasn't a Beyonwiz problem. :) Thanks for letting us know.

For your future sanity you should still explore getting some cables routed around the house.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sun May 15, 2011 13:27

Is it a slab floor? It's generally pretty easy to run cables under a traditional joist/bearer floor if there's enough room underneath, and you want the sockets near the floor.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mick_queensland
Master

Post by mick_queensland » Mon May 16, 2011 16:39

Hi Ian, Peter,

yes, great ideas but if it was an easy job running cables I would already have done it. I am still kicking the hell out myself for not putting network cables in when I built. :oops: I was lured by the idea of wireless networking and how easy it all sounded 11 years ago. What a sucker.... Anyway I have plans to run cables but it isnt going to be easy. I have a two storey house. The external walls are concrete blocks to the roof and the ground floor is on a concrete slab. The internal walls are timber and the first floor is built on a timber floor so running cables is extremely difficult. I need to investigate some ideas for running cables down through walls and drilling through the floor and wall plates from the roof space.

Cheers, Mick

brianh
Wizard

Post by brianh » Mon May 16, 2011 21:16

I am in the same boat Mick - I have resorted to cutting holes in the gyprock to facilitate cable runs past noggins & the like, and then re-plastering myself (even got passably good at making it invisible), even so there are some spots I just can't be bothered trying to get to and have in one spot run cable around the edge of the floor, wedged down underneath the carpet lip...... needs must, I suppose........ I wish you all the best!!
Cheers,
Brian

1) 2 x T4, Samsung UA46C7000/Yamaha RX-V6A
2) Spare DP-P2s/ Samsung UA46C6900/Sony STR-DE497/RX-V540
Harmony 650 + all the spare remotes.....

Return to “DP-H1”