Cannot get WizPNP working.

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

meppy
Apprentice

Cannot get WizPNP working.

Post by meppy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 18:02

I just received my H1 which I had been umming and ahhing about for a while but decided to bite the bullet.

All setup, latest firmware, can watch TV and downloads on my NAS. What I cannot get working is the main thing that I bought it for: WizPNP. I have setup my P1 as a Server, the H1 as a client but I have no idea how to access the P1 from the H1.

I go into File Play and there is just Network and USB. I try scanning and finding under Network but nothing. Starting to wonder if I have wasted my money. I have searched forums and got myself completely confused as to whether I can even use this box as an extender to play my recordings or not. I am amazed that there is not a document on the Beyonwiz site that explains how to configure and get working the WizPNP streaming. Or if there is I cannot see it for looking.

Any help appreciated... I love my Beyonwiz, but this is testing me.. all I want to do is be able to watch the recordings in my office as the tiny HDD in the thing is full and I need to work while I watch! :)

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 18:37

Hi, meppy.

If you'd looked in the DP-H1 bugs list here in the DP-H1 forum, you'd have found:
DP-H1 Bug list 1(c) wrote:Several users report that enabling WizPnP Client on a DP-H1 does not work correctly. The problem appears to be caused by the wizpnp program not starting, or exiting shortly after starting. Disabling and re-enabling the WizPnP client is not a workaround for the problem. Factory reset on both the server and client doesn't work. Reverting to 1.05.280 is a workaround, but recordings made in 301 do not appear to work on 280. Reports a, b, c, d, e, f. Workaround: the problem can be worked around by attaching a registered recording USB HDD. Even a small capacity drive (e.g. a USB thumb drive), too small to be of practical use for recording, will work.
This bug is fixed in the current betas.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 20:43

I searched but I am too busy to be a regular here and don't know about that list or that I need to check it when I have problems. Will try and remember for next time.

I had already plugged in a USB drive after reading another post but that didn't work.. I guess I need to do another search or read the manual again and work out what it means to be a "registered" recording device.

I get frustrated that I really want all the features but don't want to muck around with all the problems. Want cake and eat it too I guess. :)]

Thanks for the links, will check it out later and give it a go.

Gully

Post by Gully » Tue Dec 29, 2009 20:51

meppy wrote:I searched but I am too busy to be a regular here and don't know about that list or that I need to check it when I have problems. Will try and remember for next time.
There are only two such lists the main bug and wish list which is for all models so does include H1 issues and the H1 list which just concentrates on the H1 specific issues.

The main one is here

Also don't forget to download the latest manual from Beyonwiz's download page.
Cheers
Gully

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 21:39

Thanks for the tips. I had already downloaded the manual but obviously it didn't talk about the need for a USB drive. I figured out the registered drive thing, surround by usb keys and drives but none are empty so might just go buy a cheap key tomorrow and hopefully it will all work.

Is the old problem of not being able to stream HD, or when the P1 is doing anything at all been fixed now? Please say yes... please say yes!

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:04

meppy wrote:...
Is the old problem of not being able to stream HD, or when the P1 is doing anything at all been fixed now? Please say yes... please say yes!
Sorry, it appears to be a hardware limitation that's the cause of problems streaming HD when the server is also doing something else. Nothing has changed on that, and it appears that it's not likely to change.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:05

Finally got it working, found an old 32GB key I was not using which is registered now, turned Client off and on again and now I can see the Beyonwiz.

Sigh... I really love my BW but is this stuff really bleeding edge and have to hurt so much?

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:07

prl wrote:Sorry, it appears to be a hardware limitation that's the cause of problems streaming HD when the server is also doing something else. Nothing has changed on that, and it appears that it's not likely to change.
Well it's currently time shifting an HD channel and I can playback recorded HD, so hopefully it's only a problem when recording 2 shows or recording one and time shifting (basically recording) another??

It's a shame that copying the files from the unit is so darn slow, otherwise I would just move all the old shows to the NAS (will they even work off a NAS?) or to a USB drive.

You know I would happily pay $500 - $750 more for the unit if it had a more powerful processor and faster throughput, etc. Would make it way more useful as a network media device, as it stands it really is a PVR that can also do some network media things reasonably well... why not have a device that does both really really well???

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:09

I have a registered HDD on my H1 that I use when I have too many overlapping programs to record. At current prices it's worth considering, especially as the H1 should soon be able to operate as a server back to your P1 (next firmware?). The other advantage to having a registered drive is that you can cache the EPG.
I had my H1 for a year before getting my P1 and as soon as I set the P1 up correctly, the H1 saw it - so it should work for you. I'm using .301 on both machines.
Naturally, the P1 must be ON (not standby) to be visible to the network.
The HD streaming issue is (I believe) a network limitation. ie. You will need a full wireless N network or connection by cable. I have neither, so I can't prove it (still have my IceBox2 - wireless G - connecting my P1 to my otherwise 'all N' network).
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:18

Hi Paul55,
Paul55 wrote:The HD streaming issue is (I believe) a network limitation. ie. You will need a full wireless N network or connection by cable. I have neither, so I can't prove it (still have my IceBox2 - wireless G - connecting my P1 to my otherwise 'all N' network).
Apart from any potential bandwidth considerations, the bigger restriction is that the Beyonwiz CPU is maxed out and has no headroom for any increased performance.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:18

Paul55 wrote:I have a registered HDD on my H1 that I use when I have too many overlapping programs to record. At current prices it's worth considering, especially as the H1 should soon be able to operate as a server back to your P1 (next firmware?). The other advantage to having a registered drive is that you can cache the EPG.
I had my H1 for a year before getting my P1 and as soon as I set the P1 up correctly, the H1 saw it - so it should work for you. I'm using .301 on both machines.
Naturally, the P1 must be ON (not standby) to be visible to the network.
The HD streaming issue is (I believe) a network limitation. ie. You will need a full wireless N network or connection by cable. I have neither, so I can't prove it (still have my IceBox2 - wireless G - connecting my P1 to my otherwise 'all N' network).
The WizPnP server can be enabled on a H1 with a recording drive in the current betas. I can't think of any reason why it won't be released that way.

The HD streaming problem is not a network infrastructure problem. It's a problem due to the network bandwidth used by the server being limited so that the system resource usage for streaming doesn't interfere with local operations like decoding video and recording. The problem exists for all network infrastructure types: wired, wireless N an wireless G, and exists even when there is no other activity on the infrastructure. Inadequate network infrastructure (like a wireless G network with a lowered bit rate) will exacerbate the problem, but it's not the root cause.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:19

meppy wrote:It's a shame that copying the files from the unit is so darn slow, otherwise I would just move all the old shows to the NAS (will they even work off a NAS?) or to a USB drive.

You know I would happily pay $500 - $750 more for the unit if it had a more powerful processor and faster throughput, etc. Would make it way more useful as a network media device, as it stands it really is a PVR that can also do some network media things reasonably well... why not have a device that does both really really well???
For about half that you could get a WDTV Live and a 500GB USB HDD. Then let the Wiz be primarily a PVR - at which it's very good. I always thought the Wiz was 'reasonable' as a media player but the WDTV Live really highlights it's limitations. For occasional use, if you operate within its limits, I guess it's OK.
Having said that, the WDTV doesn't claim to be anything but a media player - it has no PVR functionality at all!! IMO you're better off with individual components rather than all-purpose machines anyway :idea:
If you use Wizilla or WizFX to upload to your NAS in TS format, the WDTV will stream and play the files - in HD.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:23

prl wrote:Inadequate network infrastructure (like a wireless G network with a lowered bit rate) will exacerbate the problem, but it's not the root cause.
Thanks Peter, I live and learn :) :)

meppy
Apprentice

Post by meppy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 09:20

Paul55 wrote:For about half that you could get a WDTV Live and a 500GB USB HDD. Then let the Wiz be primarily a PVR - at which it's very good.
If you use Wizilla or WizFX to upload to your NAS in TS format, the WDTV will stream and play the files - in HD.
Problem here is how slow it is to copy the files, and the extra hassle of the copying itself. That and then I need another device in the lounge and office as well as the BW. The advantage of the one device is just that, you only have one device to deal with which is great for other members of the family.

It's an old debate I guess, I want the best of all worlds in one device but to do that is complicated and to do it well prices the device outside of what most people want to pay. A media PC can do it all but it's generally noisy and more expensive, more difficult to keep running, etc.

mcpaton
Apprentice

Post by mcpaton » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:55

Is it possible to stream recordings on the H1 to my P2? I haven't been able to get this feature working, however going from the P2 to the H1 works fine...

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:13

mcpaton wrote:Is it possible to stream recordings on the H1 to my P2? ...
Not in the current firmware. The H1 wasn't initially intended to be able to do that.

It is possible in the current firmware in beta test. In the new firmware, you enable WizPnP server on the H1 in the same way as on the internal HDD models. You have to have an attached HDD registered for recording on the H1 to support streaming in the new firmware.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

mcpaton
Apprentice

Post by mcpaton » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:18

Great! I'll keep my eye out for the new firmware.

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 16:24

prl wrote:Hi, meppy.

If you'd looked in the DP-H1 bugs list here in the DP-H1 forum, you'd have found:
DP-H1 Bug list 1(c) wrote:Several users report that enabling WizPnP Client on a DP-H1 does not work correctly. The problem appears to be caused by the wizpnp program not starting, or exiting shortly after starting. Disabling and re-enabling the WizPnP client is not a workaround for the problem. Factory reset on both the server and client doesn't work. Reverting to 1.05.280 is a workaround, but recordings made in 301 do not appear to work on 280. Reports a, b, c, d, e, f. Workaround: the problem can be worked around by attaching a registered recording USB HDD. Even a small capacity drive (e.g. a USB thumb drive), too small to be of practical use for recording, will work.

Hi Guys, well i bit the bullet and purchased a H1 , but found too that i am unable to 'see' my DP-P1 server , although my PC can , using WizFX. Both machines are running .301 firmware..& i have a registered USB device on the H1

Does the registered usb device workaround only work if i reverse firmware back to .280 ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards Gary
DP-H1,Firmware=DPH1-01.05.350
DP-P1,IceTV,Wired LAN,Firmware=DPP1-01.05.350
DP-P1 > HDMI > Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP Projector,Vout=1080i,Aout=Optical-passthrough > Yamaha RX-V363,IceTV,Wired LAN,Firmware=DPP1-01.05.350

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 16:35

GarFin wrote:
prl wrote:Hi, meppy.

Hi Guys, well i bit the bullet and purchased a H1 , but found too that i am unable to 'see' my DP-P1 server , although my PC can , using WizFX. Both machines are running .301 firmware..& i have a registered USB device on the H1

Does the registered usb device workaround only work if i reverse firmware back to .280 ?

Thanks in advance.
The registered USB device workaround is only needed in 301. If you revert back to 280, you don't need the workaround.

To make the registered USB drive workaround work, you have to restart the H1 after registering the drive, or after reconnecting it to the H1 while it's running.

The bug is that the wizpnp service doesn't get started at boot time if there isn't a registered USB attached. Registering or connecting a registered drive won't make the wizpnp service run. You need to restart with the registered USB drive attached to get the wizpnp service. Once the wizpnp service is running, you can detach and reattach the registered drive.

This bug is fixed in the current beta.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 18:35

Tnx prl,

Yah, well sorted my problem out now... redid my network cables so that H1 and P1 are now BOTH on my 4 port router... (my P1 was on a cascaded 8 port gigabit switch, prior to that.)
Regards Gary
DP-P1 > HDMI > Mitsubishi HC4000 DLP Projector,Vout=1080i,Aout=Optical-passthrough > Yamaha RX-V363,IceTV,Wired LAN,Firmware=DPP1-01.05.350

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 18:48

GarFin wrote:Tnx prl,

Yah, well sorted my problem out now... redid my network cables so that H1 and P1 are now BOTH on my 4 port router... (my P1 was on a cascaded 8 port gigabit switch, prior to that.)
Ah. WizPnP uses multicast; perhaps the switch doesn't propagate multicast packets correctly?
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 20:42

Yeah thats my guess too... not going to muck around too much to prove the theory tho..(missus is now tucked in bed, watching Desperate Housewives via the H1... Dont want to destroy the "Wife approval factor" on first night) :D

Initially i had the DP-H1 on the 4port ADSL modem and both the DP-P1and PC on the cascaded gigabit switch. Now i (still) have the PC on the gigabit switch, but both the DP-H1 and DP-P1 on the 4port ADSL modem. (and yes the PC using WizFX can still see the DP-P1)

So, alls well that ends well..I'm off to laze on the couch and catch up on some TopGear and Mythbusters on the DP-P1... Happy camper indeed.
Regards Gary

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 21:49

GarFin wrote:Yeah thats my guess too... not going to muck around too much to prove the theory tho..(missus is now tucked in bed, watching Desperate Housewives via the H1... Dont want to destroy the "Wife approval factor" on first night) :D

Initially i had the DP-H1 on the 4port ADSL modem and both the DP-P1and PC on the cascaded gigabit switch. Now i (still) have the PC on the gigabit switch, but both the DP-H1 and DP-P1 on the 4port ADSL modem. (and yes the PC using WizFX can still see the DP-P1)

So, alls well that ends well..I'm off to laze on the couch and catch up on some TopGear and Mythbusters on the DP-P1... Happy camper indeed.
It's odd that WizFX works through the switch, but not Beyonwiz streaming.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Andyg

Post by Andyg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 15:58

prl wrote:
GarFin wrote:Yeah thats my guess too... not going to muck around too much to prove the theory tho..(missus is now tucked in bed, watching Desperate Housewives via the H1... Dont want to destroy the "Wife approval factor" on first night) :D

It's odd that WizFX works through the switch, but not Beyonwiz streaming.
Prl/Garfin,

Thx for the insight, I have a similar issue with a P2 and H1, the H1 is running off the router and P2 off the switch, I can see my PC from both BW?s but only the P2 from my PC with WizFX (as that?s the server). Also both BW?s can connect to ICE TV but I can?t see the P2 from the H1. I can also log into my router and see both of the BW?s

The H1 has a registered USB drive (4MB thumb) and runs 01.05.301, the P2 runs 01.05.302. DHCP enabled on both with P2 as Server and H1 as client. H1 has been on/off numerous times since the registered drive was added.

I followed Gary?s findings above and connected them both to the router ports but this made no difference. I also connected both to the switch but still no change. I?ve tried using the scan function and entering the IP address of the other unit directly with out success. Also, when using the network scan function it only ever gets to 49% complete, this happens on both BW?s.

So I?m at a loss, do either of you fine Gents (or anyone else) have any more suggestions ?

P2
IP: 010.000.000.006
Netmask: 255.255.255.000
Gateway: 010.000.000.138
DNS: 010.000.000.138

H1
IP 010.000.000.008
Ditto for the rest

A little unsure how much and what info you need so please let me know what else you need, thx in advance

AG

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 16:14

When you scan, that's only for Windows Shares; scanning is not necessary (and doesn't do anything) for WizPnP services. The scan bar only going to 49% is a long-standing bug, but it's only a display bug: the scan does in fact complete.

Your P2 WizPnP server should appear on your H1 a minute of two after the H1 starts up (or after the P2 starts up if you start the H1 first), it's not normally there immediately. Have you tried waiting a while before checking whether the H1 sees the P2?

The WizPnP protocol uses multicasts and may not work through multiple levels of switches and/or routers. I don't think Windows Shares uses multicast.

The current beta firmware allows the H1 to be a WizPnP server, so I expect that that capability will be in the next public firmware release.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Andyg

Post by Andyg » Mon Jan 18, 2010 19:29

prl wrote:When you scan, that's only for Windows Shares; scanning is not necessary (and doesn't do anything) for WizPnP services. The scan bar only going to 49% is a long-standing bug, but it's only a display bug: the scan does in fact complete.

Your P2 WizPnP server should appear on your H1 a minute of two after the H1 starts up (or after the P2 starts up if you start the H1 first), it's not normally there immediately. Have you tried waiting a while before checking whether the H1 sees the P2?

The WizPnP protocol uses multicasts and may not work through multiple levels of switches and/or routers. I don't think Windows Shares uses multicast.

The current beta firmware allows the H1 to be a WizPnP server, so I expect that that capability will be in the next public firmware release.
Thx for yr help Peter its much appreciated, I've tried waiting for minutes/hours and have even fallen asleep while waitin :D but still no joy, might have to keep playin with my network while I wait for the new FW release. Tis a bit annoying cos thats the reason I bought the H1

tonymy01
Uber Wizard
Location: Sydney, Australia DP-S1-1TB, DP-P2-2TB, DP-T4-2TB, DP-T4-BB... too many!

Post by tonymy01 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 20:54

As Peter said, your switch or router (your post confused me:) ) is probably not passing multicast packets (which are used in the discovery of WizPNP servers by the WizPNP clients, including the WizFX client). I assume your PC is not on the same switch? Put everything on the same router or switch, and see if it works. Also try setting an IP address for WizFX to connect to (it doesn't require to discover, you can manually set an IP address for it to look at). THat will at least show if it is a server issue, or a multicast packet issue.
Regards
Tony

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 21:11

tonymy01 wrote:... Also try setting an IP address for WizFX to connect to (it doesn't require to discover, you can manually set an IP address for it to look at). THat will at least show if it is a server issue, or a multicast packet issue.
Regards
That's a good idea.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 21:20

Yep, as Tony said...
Also double check you have the USB device registered on the H1. Initially i had mine registered ok, i subsequently formatted it , and lost the registration in the process.
Regards Gary

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 21:24

GarFin wrote:Yep, as Tony said...
Also double check you have the USB device registered on the H1. Initially i had mine registered ok, i subsequently formatted it , and lost the registration in the process.
Speaking of which, Andyg, you said you were using a 4MB thumb drive. Did you mean 4GB? The smallest thumb drive I've used as a H1 WizPnP workaround is 128MB.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Andyg

Post by Andyg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 09:44

many many thx peeps, will give those ideas a try tonight and yes a typo on my behalf, it is 4GB, I can try re-registering it but I can record and timeshift with it as it is so would have thought that its ok.

I can see the P2 from my PC using WizFX, but not the H1, although as that is only a client will I be able to see it with WizFX ?

Sorry for the confusion on the switch/router. I am using two ports off my router, one to the switch which runs the PC/P2/etc/etc and the other router port goes to the H1, however it made no difference when I connected both the P2 & H1 directly to the router or directly to the switch. I even replaced the Bigpond router (Thomson) with a Belkin that I had, still with no difference

AG

Andyg

Post by Andyg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:44

Success !!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

It appears that I had a couple of problems to overcome, firstly an intermittently faulty connector on a 30 metre long patch cable that I was using when trying to connect both BW?s to the same router or switch (the BW?s are at opposite ends of the house). Secondly, I had the opposite of Garfin?s issue in that when both are connected to the router they don?t see each other but when both are connected to the switch they do see each other.

After going through the whole process several times last night without any success (and along with a great deal of cursing I might add) suddenly it all worked, and then promptly stopped working again (more cursing), this eventually led me to the faulty connector.

So another happy camper indeed. Many thanks to all who offered assistance, and if its of any help to anyone the switch I?m using which does pass multicast packets is the Billion BiPAC GS08.

My last problem to overcome now is what to do with the 30m patch cable that currently runs along the floor from the H1 in the master bedroom thru the hallway, kitchen, living area and finally ends up at the switch located in the laundry, I?m thinking a long rug ??!!
:D

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:59

Glad to know that the problem is solved.

No real suggestions about how to run the cable. I have my cable from the lounge to the study under the floor, but this can be difficult to do depending on the floor and wall construction. There's a reason why houses are wired before the wall cladding is put on :)
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:30

Hi Peter,
prl wrote:No real suggestions about how to run the cable. I have my cable from the lounge to the study under the floor, but this can be difficult to do depending on the floor and wall construction. There's a reason why houses are wired before the wall cladding is put on :)
If you are lucky you have an older double brick home that has enough space in the wall cavity to saturation wire your home. ;)

(When we renovated I made sure all new work had CAT 5e cables included I then dropped lots of CAT5e cables down the cavity walls of the old sections of the house to provide networking in those areas. It was not always convenient to have the network connectors on the outside walls of those rooms but in general it worked out well.)

Andyg, you may have similar joy using under floor or in ceiling access and cavities in the wall to get your wiring done. Remember that you typically have up to 100 metres to get your wires routed to where you want them to go.

Regards,
Ian.

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13

IanSav wrote:...
If you are lucky you have an older double brick home that has enough space in the wall cavity to saturation wire your home. ;)
Hi, Ian. Late 60's brick veneer, with enough room between the bricks and the noggins to drop a weighted line down to pull a cable through from the roof, and enough room between the frame and the brick to push cables up into the wall cavity from below :)

Internal walls are more difficult, though. The frame is (now) very well-seasoned hardwood and defeated attempts by a heating installer to bore through it with a hand tool to install the thermostat. He ended up going through the existing holes for the light switch.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

Andyg

Post by Andyg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 14:55

Ahh yes the joys of running cables, I have the advantage of being an "ex" sparkie so knowing what and how to do it is not much of a problem, its trying to tell an ageing back and knees that we're going to crawl thru ceilings in the middle of summer is where the problem lies. Hence the comment about the rug ! :D

And like you Ian I ran extra cables to the study, to the entertainment centre etc etc I just didn't see the need (at the time) to run a cable from my switch back to the H1 which is located right along side the router, but still to have it all working properly will be worth a bit of blood, sweat & tears !

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 20, 2010 16:10

Hi Andyg,

I guessed that there would be more media player type devices in my TV area so I doubled the number of points in that area. I still underestimated my needs! I will need a small switch when I get the Internet connected TV. ;)

Other rooms have at least 1 data point in them. Kitchen, study and dinning room got extra points as well. (The study got lots extra but still not enough there either.)

Regards,
Ian.

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 17:17

IanSav wrote:Hi Andyg,

I guessed that there would be more media player type devices in my TV area so I doubled the number of points in that area. I still underestimated my needs! I will need a small switch when I get the Internet connected TV. ;)

Other rooms have at least 1 data point in them. Kitchen, study and dinning room got extra points as well. (The study got lots extra but still not enough there either.)

Regards,
Ian.
Luckily you can 'split' CAT5 cable so that it provides 2 data paths per cable run (@ 100mbit). :P
Regards Gary

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Wed Jan 20, 2010 18:10

GarFin wrote:...
Luckily you can 'split' CAT5 cable so that it provides 2 data paths per cable run (@ 100mbit). :P
Or phone and data.
Peter
T4 HDMI
Sony BDV-9200W HT system

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Wed Jan 20, 2010 23:02

Hi,

I only mentioned all that blue data cables I ran. There is also a grey cat cables run in every blue cable cluster for phones that can double as spare data links (if needed).

I can't split any of the data runs as everything is gigabit.

Regards,
Ian.

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 08:45

[quote="IanSavI can't split any of the data runs as everything is gigabit.

Regards,
Ian.[/quote]

Well your beyonwiz isn't.. :wink:
Regards Gary

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:36

Hi GarFin,
GarFin wrote:Well your beyonwiz isn't.. :wink:
I so what to post the reply "Not yet!" but that would only fuel speculation that I know something about potential future changes. Unfortunately that is not the case. It would be intended only as a flippant answer. :)

Regards,
Ian.

GarFin
Master

Post by GarFin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:37

IanSav wrote:Hi GarFin,
GarFin wrote:Well your beyonwiz isn't.. :wink:
I so what to post the reply "Not yet!" but that would only fuel speculation that I know something about potential future changes. Unfortunately that is not the case. It would be intended only as a flippant answer. :)

Regards,
Ian.
FW upgrade to GB ? i think not. Maybe in the 'DP-P3' :lol:
Regards Gary

Return to “DP-H1”