OK. What am I doing wrong?

Beyonwiz HD STB / Network Media Player.

Moderators: Gully, peteru

bjbaker
Apprentice

OK. What am I doing wrong?

Post by bjbaker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 09:20

Yesterday my H1 arrived. I set it up in the bedroom and made all the required network settings, iceguide settings etc. Some of the setup screen options didn't match the manual so I checked the firmware version - 1.03.081 - so that got updated to 1.05.301. I did a factory reset and entered all the setup info again. The networking still wasn't right so I checked this forum and learned about the requirement for a USB drive. I connected and registered a 64M USB key I had spare. Networking came good and I could see my various share servers. I temporarily re-deployed a 300GB USB drive and registered it. I then un-registered and detached the 64MB USB key. WizTV let me download an MP3. My P1 (also on 301 firmware) showed up in the file list. The trouble is that I see the Recordings and Content folders of the P1, but there is nothing visible in them. There was one recording in the P1 Recordings folder, so I created a test folder in there and moved that recording into it. The test folder is not visible from the H1. I made a couple of new recordings on the P1 and they are not visible from the H1 either.

After switching off the H1 for a while I went away and, after doing some other, stuff I came back and turned it on without turning on the 300GB USB drive first. After that, nothing I tried would make the 300GB USB drive visible again. I did another factory reset and entered all the setup info again. The 300GB USB drive was still not recognised, so I took it away for reformatting on a PC. The 64MB USB key is plugged back in and is enough to let the networking to PCs work fine.

At the moment I have a temporary ethernet connection in place, and there are 3 switches between the H1 and the P1. I have stuff en-route to reduce that to one switch and a pair of TP-Link 200Mbps AV ethernet over powerline adapters.

Any suggestions about how to make the P1 recordings visible on the H1?
Regards,
Bruce

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 09:50

If you want to use the HDD as a recording drive, you have to format and register it on the Beyonwiz. A Windows PC can't format it for use as a Beyonwiz recording drive. If it's formatted as a Beyonwiz recording drive, it can't be accessed on a Windows PC, because it uses a cluster size larger than what Windows allows. It can be accessed (read/write) on Linux or OS X.

Once the HDD is properly registered, have another go at looking at the PI's recordings. You'll need to switch the H1 to standby and power up again after registering the HDD to get the WizPnP service running.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:18

I went out and bought a 250GB 2.5" SATA disk and USB enclosure to dedicate to the H1.

But there's more to it. Because the H1 was able to see the P1 and navigate to the Recordings or Content folders (even if it couldn't see anything in there) which implies to me that WizPnP was actually working already.

Now I've put the new drive on, formatted & registered it, powered off and on, and the situation is exactly the same. I can navigate to the P1 folders, but see nothing there.

Next idea please?

I have time to get this sorted out. I have surgery scheduled for the 9th of January and will be laid up for a few weeks after. So I'm putting in place the preparations. I'll have a notebook computer in the bedroom that can access my primary computer via RDP. So at need I could use WizFX to move recordings from the P1 to a share where the H1 can see them. But it would be nice if the equipment could be made to work as advertised.
Regards,
Bruce

Gully

Post by Gully » Sat Nov 21, 2009 13:04

Any chance you might have changed the media filter to audio or photos?
Cheers
Gully

IanSav
Uber Wizard

Post by IanSav » Sat Nov 21, 2009 14:45

Hi,

I was about to suggest the media filter question but Gully got there first.

Regards,
Ian.

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 15:00

I wish it were so.

One of my changes in setup is to modify the Fileplayer default from Movie to Media. That's what I was on.

Also, that wouldn't account for not being able to see the test folder I created under Recordings on the P1.

I think my next move is to set the P1 back to factory defaults and re-do it from scratch. It is not that much different from the H1 and I've had a bit of practice now.

If that doesn't sort it out I'll be waiting for bright ideas and firmware updates.
Regards,
Bruce

Paul55
Wizard

Post by Paul55 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 15:44

I don't have any specific advice, but the fact that I managed to get my H1 to see my P1 - and I'm a networking gumby - should give you some confidence.
I remember having this problem once and (I think) I did a 'scan' on the H1 after making sure the P1 had been switched on for a couple of minutes.
DP-P1 & DP-P2 x 2, 01.05/07.350 Samsung PS64E8000, Pioneer 508XDA, IceTV, Yamaha RX-V3800a, Toppy TRF-2400, Foxtel IQ3, Harmony 1100i, Digitech HDMI switch, Beyonwiz DP-H1 , FW 01.05.350, 320GB Maxtor USB HDD, 42" Panasonic G10A, Yamaha RX-V795a, Foxtel IQ2, Harmony 785, WDTV Live x 3

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 16:30

The confusing part is that the H1 can see the P1 and its top level folders.

I re-did the P1 from scratch, and renamed it from beyonwiz to Pone. The H1 now sees Pone and its top level folders, just as it could before.

The TP-Link stuff should arrive next week. It will be interesting to see if reducing the number of hops will help. Actually, that has given me an idea. I'll replace the old 4 port switch in my HiFi stack with a more recent 8 port switch...no change.

Hmm...looks like the problem is the P1. It works fine as a PVR using Ice Guide, so the networking is fine. Using WizFX I can see the P1, but none of the files that should be visible.

I tried removing and restoring mains power for the P1, but that has not made any improvement.
Regards,
Bruce

prl
Wizard God

Post by prl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 16:49

bjbaker wrote:...
... Using WizFX I can see the P1, but none of the files that should be visible.

I tried removing and restoring mains power for the P1, but that has not made any improvement.
This is can happen when the WizPnP recording index on the server gets corrupted. Power cycling is unlikely to fix that.

Re-creating the index can sometimes fix this; go into FilePlayer, then HDD, and press the SOUNDTRACK button (on the Beyonwiz remote, the button with the speaker/question mark icon). When it says it's finished, dismiss the popup, and then try WizFX again. If you see the recordings, then the index is OK, and WizPnP should work from your H1. Doing a Check HDD on your P2 before the re-index is probably a good idea.

If not, the only fix appears to be a reformat. You may want to set up Windows Shares on youyr PC to copy unwatched recordings to before you format. Before you do that, it's probably not a bad idea to confirm that the problem is in fact the index file.

To check that, fetch http://your.p2.ip.addr:49152/index.txt using your favorite browser on your PC, and post the first 5 or so lines here. It's pretty easy to pick bad index.txt files.
Peter
T4 HDMI
U4, T4, T3, T2, V2 test/development machines
Sony BDV-9200W HT system
LG OLED55C9PTA 55" OLED TV

bjbaker
Apprentice

Post by bjbaker » Sat Nov 21, 2009 20:41

Thanks Peter.

Your advice would have solved the problem if I had read it before I managed to solve it myself.

I had tried re-indexing on the P1, to no avail.

I reformatted the HDD. A few programs then recorded tonight. I tried WizFX and it saw the recordings on the P1. The H1 was on the fileplayer display and I just hit the re-index button to see the recordings appear in all their glory.

So it would seem the answer to my original question was "Nothing." I just had a corrupt index file on the P1 that needed to be dealt with.

That's a valuable pointer to how to check the index. I'll save that one away for future reference as this is not the first time I have had to reformat my HDD.
Regards,
Bruce

crippstor
Apprentice

Post by crippstor » Thu Mar 04, 2010 13:56

Had a similar problem recently, my H1 decided not to see the contents of my P1. Re index did not work until after a power cycle on both units. Voila, all good again
DP-P1 in the lounge, DP-H1 in the master bedroom. Happy kids and Mrs Crippstor all around, and if Santa Beyonwiz brings out a new model, the P1 to the bedroom and the H1 to the man shed

Return to “DP-H1”